Text Message (SMS) Realtime Banking

Options

Comments

• henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the OP uses a feature phone he can not have apps. The old Nokia phones were great but perhaps now is the time to buy a smartphone so mobile banking apps can be used.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    henm2 wrote: »
    If the OP uses a feature phone he can not have apps. The old Nokia phones were great but perhaps now is the time to buy a smartphone so mobile banking apps can be used.
    Personally think that a banking app without fingerprint logon is pretty much useless. (the time faffing around with logon credentials, I'd rather logon to a desktop - if I was near one).

HSBC doesn't have fingerprint logon for android users. Therefore, I'd rather use the sms alerts.

Don't forget there are some elderly customers who are not smart-phone savvy. They can just about make a call and read a text (SMS) on an old nokia.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Don't forget there are some elderly customers who are not smart-phone savvy. They can just about make a call and read a text (SMS) on an old nokia.

What a nasty, snide thing to post. :(
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    What a nasty, snide thing to post. :(

"Don't forget there are some elderly customers who are not smart-phone savvy. They can just about make a call and read a text (SMS) on an old nokia."

I don't read the above message as snide. It is factual. It did not make a sweeping statement about all elderly people. On average, the older a person is the less likely they are to possess a smartphone.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,279 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    "Don't forget there are some elderly customers who are not smart-phone savvy. They can just about make a call and read a text (SMS) on an old nokia."

I don't read the above message as snide. It is factual. It did not make a sweeping statement about all elderly people. On average, the older a person is the less likely they are to possess a smartphone.
    Agreed not at all nasty. My parents used to be ok using a smartphone, but recently they've had to go back to an old-school flip phone with a keypad because they were struggling to use an on-screen keyboard. There are even brands, for example "Denver GSP-110 Big Button Mobile Phone For Elderly" specifically marketed for this problem. I don't think it is offensive to point this out in response to the suggestion that people should get a smartphone if they want to check transactions.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alanq wrote: »

Just got smart phone for mother in law and she loves it. BTW she is 74.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    Just got smart phone for mother in law and she loves it. BTW she is 74.
    She will use/is using banking app?
  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Posts: 813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Personally think that a banking app without fingerprint logon is pretty much useless. (the time faffing around with logon credentials, I'd rather logon to a desktop - if I was near one).

HSBC doesn't have fingerprint logon for android users. Therefore, I'd rather use the sms alerts.

I don't know what banking apps you have? None of mine have complicated log ins, just a 5 digit number. I find them much quicker and easier than logging in on a desk top. I check them at least daily to see transactions, move money etc
  • OceanSound
    Options
    I don't know what banking apps you have? None of mine have complicated log ins, just a 5 digit number. I find them much quicker and easier than logging in on a desk top. I check them at least daily to see transactions, move money etc
    Please read post#13. I was talking about the hsbc app:
    HSBC doesn't have fingerprint logon for android users....
    Re your comment:
    None of mine have complicated log ins, just a 5 digit number.
    Do you use the HSBC app?. if so, does it use a 5 digit number for logon?
  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Posts: 813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't bank with HSBC. The app sounds like a good reason not to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure