47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?

Options

Comments

• nannycf11
    Options
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was £40 each total £80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were £45 each total £90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to £47 each totalling £94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were £73 each total £146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nannycf11 wrote: »
    We moved in in June 2017 2 x 47kg cylinder exchange was £40 each total £80 . In October we needed to buy another 2 , this time they were £45 each total £90 a bit of a shock but we went with it ,January they had increased again to £47 each totalling £94 and when we wen to buy another 2 last week they were £73 each total £146 not being funny this is daylight robbery !
    We have loooked into electricity combi boilers or Infered heaters both at at big added cost but long term will we benefit ?
    Someone said Calor hikes up prices on demand ?
    Someone else says prices are due to rise 200%by 2020 ?
    As we,re new to this style of heating and mains gas is not applicable what is the best advice . Will prices rise each winter and fall each summer is this s pattern or should we seriously consider changing to something else.

Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.
  • dave_105
    Options
    Hi in Lincolnshire we pay £55 hight rate (winter) and £48 low
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Have you considered a bulk tank. Not knowing your location of course, it may not be possible. You are currently paying 79ppl by buying 47kg cylinders. Bulk LPG is 30-35ppl.

I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »
    I find your comment very interesting. Do you know what the other typical costs are for a bulk tank?

I use about 6 X 47Kg cylinders A YEAR. I wonder if bulk would be worthwhile for me or if the additional costs outweigh any savings I might make?

You will need to consider installation costs. The above ground tank sits on a concrete slab which you will need to provide. All other costs are normally covered by the supplier.

Most suppliers also make an annual charge of £70 to £100 for maintenance (although they don't seem to do much for this!)

You will also need to consider siting. It has to be a minimum of 3m from any boundary or combustible material (ie. House, shed, fence, etc).

Further info here:
    https://www.calor.co.uk/home-energy/new-to-lpg/gas-storage-options
  • Greenvisions
    Options
    We live up in Ryedale nr Thornton, get Energas 47kg
    Feb 2010 £69.30 plus £12 delivery 4.5 miles
    Dec 2014 £57.20
    Nov 2016 £69.92

Need to get some, Gottle GAs quote £65ish:j
  • Dave_Somerset
    Options
    Hi, I don't normally contribute to forums, but this thread is about the most useful resource for us downtrodden lpg cylinder users.

I just got 2 x 47kg propane cylinders from Flogas in Somerset for £104.03 (inc VAT) delivered, with no empties to exchange, and no contract.
    They 1st quoted £66 until I politely told them about this thread and they quickly reduced it.
    Considering I was quoted £258 from Darch, as a new customer, I thought this was a pretty good deal.
    Hope this helps others.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch! The last time I bought a 47kg container for my cooker I paid about £55 - that must have been six months ago. Last week I ordered a replacement and was charged £72! This is in Kent.

Someone is skinning us.
  • Markba
    Options
    Hi I’m in east mids but cannot find anywhere as cheap as that. Could you please tell me where you use? Thanks, Mark
  • Markba
    Options
    Venison, is that with Flogas directly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills