Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ha! MFM explained it better than me... Tilly uses it from the bank account but no reason why you cant do it with cash as well if you use cash a lot. But yes we do it from the current account.

Got extra YS naan for 33p for 4. Straight in the freezer for another time. Meal very quick - curries and rice from the freezer - result. Also did a class so 5th exercise session this month :D also avoided buying coffees out despite desperate need after being sat in traffic for 4 hours :( Quite a result.

Have a good weekend folks x
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    That!!!8217;s a good idea SA so yes is usually the current account but you can use it against any transaction really
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    MFM - tried the banana bread in the BM. But not enough sugar for my tastes. But easy - will send over later x
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ha! MFM explained it better than me... Tilly uses it from the bank account but no reason why you cant do it with cash as well if you use cash a lot. But yes we do it from the current account.

Got extra YS naan for 33p for 4. Straight in the freezer for another time. Meal very quick - curries and rice from the freezer - result. Also did a class so 5th exercise session this month :D also avoided buying coffees out despite desperate need after being sat in traffic for 4 hours :( Quite a result.

Have a good weekend folks x

I think I'll use it from the bank account.

You saved money on the coffees today but I agree that resisting via sitting in a traffic jam for hours isn't ideal.......:rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I would pop over and visit your diary as you so kindly posted on mine. A real positive read, I aspire to your savings rate to fill the hole of my non existent pension savings :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MFM..my method is to add up all the categories in YNAB that are not spends so yes I exclude pensions, ISA, (currently debt repayments) and EF. This month we drew a lot of income but even so I was pleased at basically only spending 3/4 of our months income. I am not sure why you would only count quote spare quote money...maybe it is because we subscribe to the YNAB every penny has a purpose concept. If you are putting money into savings pots that are true savings post, rather than say for the insurance or Xmas (when you know you are going to raid them) I think that counts towards a savings rate. Hope that makes sense. When we are clear of these last two cards I will put everything into paying off the £4K OD, the EF, pension and ISA. Cannae wait :D

I have just started reading Huw's blog (financiallyfreeby40) after reading about it in the Sunday Times and have started at the beginning, he counts his savings rate including his account which he uses to save up for yearly expenses.
    It threw me a bit because surely that is just a delayed bill rather than actual savings??

I'm glad to see how you work it out and I would do similar.
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Hi XSpender.. thanks for dropping by. Loved your diary. Really honest and well done.

EE - I agree, if you know you are going to have to spend it later that year eg. Car Insurance I am not sure how you can count that as part of a savings rate. To my mind it is only when its quote not to be touched quote like the EF or the pension that you can count that in the savings rate.

I am slowly :( beginning to realise that as well as earning more money I really need to spend less. Much less and that will make a huge difference. Whopping. That is what we can use to get shot of the debt residue and the mortgage. So yesterday was a LSD.. £14 on a present for my mum and £2.60 on lots of naans. So sub £20. Also a class as I said. We have dinner in the SC. All from stores.

Best get a shimmy on. Day half gone. As has my Spring.. :( bleak here again.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    It’s bl@@dy miserable here :(.

I think you’re right on cutting the spending. Are you still using YNAB to track? Hopefully that will show the low hanging fruit to chop :)

We need long dry days with time outside - cuts spending straight away IMO :T

Have a good weekend.

Tilly XX
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wish I could afford to do TT's.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hope you manage to find some leeway to cut down brizzle.

I've benn reading some retirement blogs today. One lady and her OH retired some years ago early because of savings, investments and are now seeing even greater benefit as their pensions gradually kick in. One thing she wrote resonated in that she said it's worth trying to live on your estimated post- retirement income for a few years before actual retirement to see how it works out and what you can really cut back on. Don't know whether I'm brave enough yet but it would boost up the savings pot.......
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business