Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I've been a Spendy Wendy today but all to plan.

My neighbours gifted me a rhubarb crown so I spent the morning clearing and mulching a bed for it in the veg garden. I also harvested the last of the apples. Some are destined for chutney which I'll give as Christmas presents to the neighbours.

My DC and her husband are coming to stay with us for Christmas and we've decided to have Christmas Lunch out so we can all relax and nobody (me) has to spend the day in the kitchen. I booked the restaurant today and paid the deposit. DC wants to go and see the new Nutcracker film so I booked the tickets for that too at our little independent cinema.

Two cases of wine arrived today courtesy of Mr F's Av10$ points. That should see us through the festive season.

Our local garden centre launched their Christmas showroom today so we went along to take advantage of a free glass of prosecco each and 15% off. We were hoping to find a new Christmas tree but theirs were very expensive and I think we can do better at JL. We did pick up some half price garlands though, two cast iron poppies for the garden Mr F took a fancy to and two small house plants to put into the pots which have stood empty on my living room windowsill since we moved in :o We had a £5 voucher to use in addition to the discount so did quite well on cost. Our old Christmas tree will be put to good use in the annex when we get a new one :)

Lodger friend may be exchanging contracts on her house sale tomorrow. She has also had an offer accepted on a new home and, if all goes well, may complete on that house before Christmas :( I am secretly hoping she'll be with us until end January so we can recover from Christmas spends :o We've decided to try A1rb&b when lodger friend leaves. We'll have to do a little decorating and get a couples of bits of furniture but it shouldn't take long to get started. Budgets might be a bit squeaky until then though :eek:

The new thermostat is doing a great job so at least we're saving some money on heating bills :rotfl:

Happy Thursday everyone.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,467 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    All sounding good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 October 2018 at 8:10PM
    Options
    I carved the pumpkin this morning :) If I'm going to pay £4 for a pumpkin it's going to sit outside the house as long as possible. It may still be there at Christmas :rotfl:

Did some number crunching to manage the impact of lodger friend going. We'll be fine but will have to be a bit careful over Christmas if she leaves by end of December.

Lunch today was Mushroom, Leek, Camembert & Gnocchi Tray Bake. Supper was sausages in apple gravy with roasted carrots and mashed potato. My new blender has a special attachment for mashing so I tried that out - fantastic! It's my new favourite thing! I'm easily pleased. Even better, there was a cash back offer on the blender and the manufacturer has contacted me today to say it's on its way :)

The bullocks next door have pushed the fence over again. Mr F went out with his new fence post basher toy and made some repairs but we really must get on with replacing the whole thing. I've contacted the farmer to make arrangements and he's promised to call back tomorrow.

Our hot water is still running cold intermittently :( Good job the plumber's got to come back anyway.

Its the weekend peeps - enjoy!

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,467 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a happy weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    All sounding so positive and lovely fortune

Are you able to post a link to your blender please? I've been through 2 recently and both have gone back for a refund as they broke within a few months. Am making do at the moment but I use it so much a replacement would be useful. TIA.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I carved the pumpkin this morning :) If I'm going to pay £4 for a pumpkin it's going to sit outside the house as long as possible. It may still be there at Christmas :rotfl:
    /QUOTE]
    You do make me laugh Fortune.
    Have a nice weekend
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Have a happy weekend :)

You too Beanie :)
    All sounding so positive and lovely fortune

Are you able to post a link to your blender please? I've been through 2 recently and both have gone back for a refund as they broke within a few months. Am making do at the moment but I use it so much a replacement would be useful. TIA.

This is the blender Purp. I've kept my old one because it came with a chopping attachment and that still works. The new one doesn't have a chopper but the masher more than makes up for that :rotfl: It's not the cheapest but I think having a metal foot makes it more hardwearing.
    /QUOTE]
    You do make me laugh Fortune.
    Have a nice weekend

You too DIA.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Mr F and I did some hard graft in the garden this morning. Mr F moved a huge pile of wood leftover from the barn refurb out of site. There's a lot more to move but we've made a start. I'm trying to make sure the view from the cottage is clear for when we start A1rB&B. I dug over three beds in the vegetable garden and mulched one with some of the huge poo pile behind the barn. It's a long walk with a wheelbarrow from the poo pile to the vegetable garden so I ran out of steam after the one bed. I'll sort the other two out tomorrow. Mr F also strimmed and mowed the lawn and I pruned a huge bay tree. There's still a lot to do but we're already much further forward than we were this time last year.

Neighbour farmer rang. He's moving the bullocks on soon so will come over when they're gone to sort the fence out. We'd agreed that we would buy the fence posts and he would do the work. We need 66 fence posts :eek: Good job they don't cost much.

We bought some oak and maple logs from a local guy last year and he 'phoned today to say he'd sorted out another 11 bags if we wanted them. £60 and he has a couple of bags of offcuts he'll throw in for that price. It's a good price for hard wood and it burns well so Mr F is going over to pick up tomorrow.

I spoke to my travelling cousin yesterday and it looks as though she might be able to come up for Christmas too :j I'm so excited about spending the day with some of my family. Because we usually reserve the time for Mr F's boys we haven't spent Christmas Day with my family for 9 years :eek:

We're thinking of having a get together with the neighbours on the Saturday before Christmas. Just mulled wine and mince pies to keep the costs and time commitment down.

We had leftover sausage and mash for lunch today and a baked potato with beans and cheese for supper. I didn't have any energy left for cooking :rotfl:

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

Fortune x
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

OH made that Gnocchi recipe for our meatless Monday dinner a few weeks ago - it's just lovely! Lasted 3 meals for the two of us - very filling!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    OH made that Gnocchi recipe for our meatless Monday dinner a few weeks ago - it's just lovely! Lasted 3 meals for the two of us - very filling!

I think my portions may be supersized RT! Ours only lasted for 2 meals but I think I need to double up on the gnocchi next time.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback