Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Very busy over at yours at the mo, FS!

We have a 'normal' (cannister) weed wand - it's certainly not super effective, sadly :( Very handy for lighting the chimenea though! :D

Hope the hip gets better soon xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Very busy over at yours at the mo, FS!

We have a 'normal' (cannister) weed wand - it's certainly not super effective, sadly :( Very handy for lighting the chimenea though! :D

Hope the hip gets better soon xx

I seem to be always busy greent but not very productive :rotfl:

The weed wands are a bit.... well, weedy aren't they :rotfl:

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It's chilly here in The Shire tonight. Fortunately, Mr F has spent the day chopping up some of the wood and pallets left over from the barn refurb. They are burning very nicely :) I did more tidying and pruning in the garden. Also harvested 3 butternut squash and 4 courgettes. We had frost this morning so I didn't want to take any chances.

The plumber's quote has come in. It's a little over what I was hoping but I've had a look at average costs and they are in line with those. He can't easily fix the stop c0ck though. He'll have to dig down to where it is to replace it and that will be another day's work. I'll ask him to quote separately for that.

Pay day has been and gone and money has been shuffled. A little has gone to savings and a little to over paying. Mr F is away for work for the next two weeks so that should help the budget. Although I now have a guest for the weekend.

In one hand out the other :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope all is well in your world

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It's fair to say that my focus has been a little fuzzy of late. I always find I drift a little when Mr F is away. Today we had a bit of a wake up call though and it's brought things back into perspective.

An old colleague of Mr F's was in the area and popped by for a visit. We were shocked at how changed he was. He has always been an active and social person but that all changed a few weeks ago. One day he was fine and the next he was in intensive care. His body just went into shut down. He's recovered to some extent but has been left with some serious and chronic health issues :(

It really made me think about how I take my health for granted and don't look after myself as well as I could. Things need to change. I want to make the best use of the time I have and be healthy enough to do so.

I've made a start by following the meal plan and cooking us some nutritious meals:

The recipes made good use of the organic produce that came in my last veg box.

In money news there isn't really much to report as we're still saving to get a new front gate.

My hand blender gave up the ghost. I've had it for a long time and use it a lot so am not surprised. Serendipitously ;) some vouchers arrived the next day courtesy of our credit card reward scheme so I bought a new blender with them. There was even enough left to replace some makeup items I'd run out of :)

I have 22 items listed on the Bay and made 2 sales this evening :)

We've been putting the heating on this last week just for an hour or two to take the edge off. Mr F has chopped up some more pallets so we have lots of log burner food.

The local writing course I enrolled on is turning out to be excellent value for money. I've submitted two stories and received feedback on them. This week's homework is to get feedback from other sources to help with editing them. My story on East of the Web is now in the Top 20 overall and No 3 for Fiction :D I am so chuffed. I'd love to get some more comments though so, if you read it and liked it, do please leave a few words - link here. It's free to read and all comments are anonymous.

I also have an art commission :j I haven't been actively seeking commissions but was approached by someone wanting a pet portrait for a Christmas present. I'm really excited about doing it and it's made me think perhaps I should start taking commissions again.

It's an earlier night tonight for me. One of the 'taking better care of myself' decisions I've already made. When you have a canine alarm clock, the only way to get a full night's sleep is to go to bed earlier :rotfl:

Sleep tight all

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So sorry to hear about Mr F's friend :(

Life can change in an instant :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Hi fortune read your story, another good one. I had a friend who went through domestic violence and we'd often imagine how he would meet his end. Couldn't find where to leave a comment.
    You never know when life is going to bite you on the bum, so I hope your plans for a healthier and happier you are a success.
    CRx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I loved the story.
    Sorry but I could not see where to leave a comment.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I hope you're charging appropriately for the commission. I also loved the story
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about Mr F's friend :(

Life can change in an instant :(

I know Beanie :eek: How can I keep forgetting that :o

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Hi fortune read your story, another good one. I had a friend who went through domestic violence and we'd often imagine how he would meet his end. Couldn't find where to leave a comment.
    You never know when life is going to bite you on the bum, so I hope your plans for a healthier and happier you are a success.
    CRx
    beanielou wrote: »
    I loved the story.
    Sorry but I could not see where to leave a comment.
    I hope you're charging appropriately for the commission. I also loved the story

Thanks peeps. There is an options box on the right hand side underneath the title. If you select 'View Comments' it will take you to the star ratings and comments box. Careful with the stars - they take your first choice and you can't change it afterwards :eek: Mr F rated me 3 stars instead of 5 because of his fat fingers :rotfl: The comments won't show until they've been approved by admin.

I sometimes get wrapped up in 'stuff' and forget to make the days count. Every now and then a reminder comes along :( I'm off to a good start with healthy eating and an early night last night :)

Thanks again for your suport - it's very appreciated.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback