Once more unto the breach...

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a new headboard for a single bed listed for a couple of weeks, I've had the usual no shows plus someone who actually turned up for it with a toddler in a pushchair and was surprised at how big and heavy a single metal headboard was and told me I could run them home as it was daft to expect them to carry this back on a bus. I declined for so many reasons and actually got criticised on the local board for not making an effort .

had someone who sounded nice ask me for it and was due to collect last night as their husband had a van from work , but didn't arrive and didn't apologise. Relisted it and she got back to me to say he had to work overtime but if I could be ready by 7.45 - 8am today he would collect it on his way past- foolishly I agreed and had it all ready- only for another no show.

My dealer man XYZ has just taken it so no doubt I'll be in trouble again for not letting it go to someone who needs it.

However compare that to three things that were sold for money last night on marketplace , 1 item has been paid for and posted, one was collected this morning and I'm just waiting for the third thing to be collected at 10am. It seems easier to sell something rather than give it away although I think that's because I am less tolerant with sales- if they want it they either pay and let me post or arrange a firm time, if they don't collect then I close that sale down and go to the next one. With the free stuff you tend to get stories about how this will change their life if only they could have it delivered, or endless excuses about sick children and broken down cars - and as I 'm not expecting money I probably let it slide for too long before being firm and moving on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mirko
    mirko Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I list free stuff I arrange a collection date and ensure I leave it outside my house for collection. Waiting in for people is an absolute nightmare. I'd rather deliver it to be honest.

I'm similar to soolin, I generally want to get rid of the stuff so don't care if it goes to a dealer - good luck to them!

I think some people want praise for giving away stuff, even if it's almost worthless. Some people have a high opinion of the stuff they own.

I'm currently trying the best to clear out a lot of clutter from my house, I think we've just about reached "peak stuff" in the UK. Charity shops don't always take stuff, you can barely freecycle it at times due to now shows, and it's not even easy to recycle or dump everything. And it's only going to get worse!
    As of 24/11/2020
    Mort: - £98,200
    CCds: - £1,568.18
    Loan: - £0
    Savings: - £3,500.00
  • soolin
    Options
    mirko wrote: »
    When I list free stuff I arrange a collection date and ensure I leave it outside my house for collection. Waiting in for people is an absolute nightmare. I'd rather deliver it to be honest.

I'm similar to soolin, I generally want to get rid of the stuff so don't care if it goes to a dealer - good luck to them!

I think some people want praise for giving away stuff, even if it's almost worthless. Some people have a high opinion of the stuff they own.

I'm currently trying the best to clear out a lot of clutter from my house, I think we've just about reached "peak stuff" in the UK. Charity shops don't always take stuff, you can barely freecycle it at times due to now shows, and it's not even easy to recycle or dump everything. And it's only going to get worse!

I know what you mean, I have family stuff in storage, in outbuildings, in the loft, it's everywhere and I'm barely making a dent in it. Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I have family stuff in storage, in outbuildings, in the loft, it's everywhere and I'm barely making a dent in it. Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.

sounds like you could offer your dealer chap a cup of tea and a look round....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • soolin
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    sounds like you could offer your dealer chap a cup of tea and a look round....

I would be tempted but my OH quite rightly points out that letting a stranger poke about in our sheds/outbuildings would be rather foolish. We live in a very busy outer London town with an extremely high burglary rate and don't really want people knowing exactly what we have stashed around.

As well as putting some of the bigger things out on Facebook Marketplace I've been boxing up things and entering them in a local auction, I don't get a lot of money, but it all helps. I don't actually seem to have made much noticeable difference in the stock yet, although the headboard will help free up a few inches in the garage.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.
    I was recently in the position of having to empty an elderly relative's flat so that it could be sold to pay for her to go into care.

There was quite a lot of good (saleable) furniture and other items. The estate agents found somebody who wanted £500 (!) to take it all away. I eventually found somebody who did it for £50.

The days when House Clearance people would pay for stuff (or even take it away for free) are long gone, I'm afraid.
    Philip
  • soolin
    Options
    I was recently in the position of having to empty an elderly relative's flat so that it could be sold to pay for her to go into care.

There was quite a lot of good (saleable) furniture and other items. The estate agents found somebody who wanted £500 (!) to take it all away. I eventually found somebody who did it for £50.

The days when House Clearance people would pay for stuff (or even take it away for free) are long gone, I'm afraid.

I am well aware of that unfortunately. One of the storage units is from my parents house sort of - (long story but basically it became last man standing and my father was a hoarder and ended up in a dementia home so house had to be sold so I have family stuff from other relatives as well). I had a large 3 bed 3 storey house with rooms packed floor to ceiling, and had to clear it in 6 weeks single handed. I hired skips went down when the children were at school and I wasn't working and just threw everything away- i kept some in storage (hence storage units) but basically just dragged it all out including Ercol furniture , G Plan, china, glass wear. 1950s drinks cabinet , paintings, electrics the lot.

Luckily the neighbour had bought the house and found me desperately trying to move cabinets one day. The family came in and said just give us the key, sign the final contract and walk away. I still had the loft, part of the 3rd floor , a master bedroom and the large shed (with dad's Claude Butler racing bike) uncleared - but I was so desperate I just walked out there and then and left the lot.

sorry, gone off on one there a bit....
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've told this before, but I was banned from my local free cycle for pointing out the local 'disabled, retired old man who tinkered with clocks in his shed to pass the days' was actually a pretty successful dealer raking in a few hundred a month selling what he was given on eBay.
    Apparently this was perfectly fine but I do hope people were careful with what they gave the 'poor old man' in the future.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought that the whole ethos of FreeCycle was to prevent stuff ending up in landfill, and that taking stuff in order to resell it was perfectly acceptable within their rules?

Like Soolin with XYZ, if I have stuff I want to declutter, I really don't care what happens to it as long as somebody takes it away!
    Philip
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I thought that the whole ethos of FreeCycle was to prevent stuff ending up in landfill, and that taking stuff in order to resell it was perfectly acceptable within their rules?

Like Soolin with XYZ, if I have stuff I want to declutter, I really don't care what happens to it as long as somebody takes it away!

To clarify, I have no problems with reselling.
    I do have issue when people pretend to be elderly and disabled to procure items for resale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure