What is your attitude to discussing your finances generally?

Options
124»

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This thread has made me realise that maybe me and the people around me (friends and family) aren't typical. We are open about how much we earn and have, everyone is generous with their money (even the ones that have little). I have never had the impression that anyone is envious of what I have and equally I don't feel that about others. Members of this extended group are on vastly different amounts of money and wealth.
  • fudgecat
    Options
    Interesting post. One of the problems my husband and I have had is his reluctance to discuss finances. He doesn`t like to tell me what he earns, doesn`t want to discuss saving, long term strategy - anything. Now you might think this is because he is bad with money, a secret gambler or a spendthrift. You might think we are heavily in debt or just making ends meet. Neither! I take care of the money, on the whole, (because he won`t deal with it and is happy for me to) and keep a spreadsheet to show where we are. I like to tell him the state of our finances and where to find all the information. It is like dragging him to a torture chamber. He gets tense, avoids eye contact, becomes aggressive. If I want to open a new account, change the destination of money for a better deal, you`d think I had asked for a divorce. Rows: " I don`t want all this complication" " You`re always going on"etc, I only talk about money once a month, when I just check to see if we are up or down.

He would be so easy to rob blind! I pointed out to him that if I went under a bus tomorrow, he would be able to find everything and know where we were - IF he had been listening...
    Is this unusual?
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

tell nobody nothing.

I don't need to know what you earn or what you owe.

I don't need 2 cars, a camper van, a yacht (all on HP) in front of the house to impress the neighbours.
  • MisterMotivated
    MisterMotivated Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    I don't go into much personal detail when talking about money, but will happily discuss broader interest rates, mortgages, regular savings accounts, utility deals, etc. Some of my friends know I own rental property (mainly because they've been to them at some stage), but don't know anything about how much I have in savings. I feel like I'm in an unusual situation, as most of my friends come from wealthy families and are likely to inherit substantial sums, yet they themselves are barely scraping by month to month, spending a fortune on takeaways, etc, while I grew up in poverty on a council estate (we never went hungry, but couldn't afford holidays and our cars were always old bangers) and have made decisions about my lifestyle to help secure my financial future as I don't have any inheritance to fall back on.

I don't flaunt my money and generally only buy things I actually need (though I often stop buying small things I need around my birthday and Christmas so they can be used for gift ideas, as I don't want people buying me useless tat just because they feel they have to get me something). I got tired of pretending to be skint at the run-up to payday though, so I do get the odd comment along the lines of "we don't get paid until Friday, how are you not skint?" I decided that pretending I have no money just further normalises overspending; instead, I'd rather try to persuade colleagues to consider saving a little or easing up on the £19 coffees from across the street when there are perfectly good coffee making facilities in the kitchen.

Like many others on here, I've chosen to take an interest in managing my finances through spreadsheets, etc, and am constantly looking for ways to improve my already considerable spreadsheet (I also have a secure document that close family could access to see all my assets if I ever suddenly stopped living).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got tired of pretending to be skint at the run-up to payday though, so I do get the odd comment along the lines of "we don't get paid until Friday, how are you not skint?" I decided that pretending I have no money just further normalises overspending;
    Like many others on here, I've chosen to take an interest in managing my finances through spreadsheets, etc, and am constantly looking for ways to improve my already considerable spreadsheet (I also have a secure document that close family could access to see all my assets if I ever suddenly stopped living).

YES. Particularly the pretending to have not money part
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    fudgecat wrote:
    Interesting post. One of the problems my husband and I have had is his reluctance to discuss finances. He doesn`t like to tell me what he earns, doesn`t want to discuss saving, long term strategy - anything. Now you might think this is because he is bad with money, a secret gambler or a spendthrift. You might think we are heavily in debt or just making ends meet. Neither! I take care of the money, on the whole, (because he won`t deal with it and is happy for me to) and keep a spreadsheet to show where we are. I like to tell him the state of our finances and where to find all the information. It is like dragging him to a torture chamber. He gets tense, avoids eye contact, becomes aggressive. If I want to open a new account, change the destination of money for a better deal, you`d think I had asked for a divorce. Rows: " I don`t want all this complication" " You`re always going on"etc, I only talk about money once a month, when I just check to see if we are up or down.

He would be so easy to rob blind! I pointed out to him that if I went under a bus tomorrow, he would be able to find everything and know where we were - IF he had been listening...
    Is this unusual?

I don't know how unusual that is - but I would certainly posit that it's usual for one partner to be more interested in finances than the other. My wife, for example, really doesn't have any interest whatsoever. I sort out our joint finances, bills and the like and she's happy for me to do it. I try to engage her but she loses interest very quickly - she couldn't tell you who supplies our electricity or broadband for example. I do worry, because if anything were to happen to me I don't think she'd know where to start, but multiple attempts to involve her fall on deaf ears.

I am at least trying to bring her round to the idea of drawing up a budget so we know where we are but she doesn't see the point because we spend less than we earn (and she has no interest, which FWIW is probably the more proximate reason). So our solution is that all the household stuff goes through the joint account which I look after and tell her how much she needs to put in each month. Then we can each spend from our own accounts so we don't accidentally withdraw something without the other knowing.

We both know what each other earn though and I try to make sure that neither of us pays more than an equitable share - but it's a lot of trust she puts into me to do it fairly! Obviously we wouldn't have married each other if we didn't trust each other but I still don't understand why she wouldn't want to understand where the money we both work hard for is going!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it depends who you are with. In my office we all know what each other earns approximately as we are on set pay scales, know what we can roughly get as a pension, so the topic never comes up unless it is about which pension scheme they are in- then there is sometimes a bit of joking about "how lucky you are" towards me, I simply say it isn't my fault it was changed and I can go at an earlier age than some others. If asked how I'm planning our retirement I am open about using different ways of saving for us but never the specific amounts. I suggest savings types- pension, ISA, LISA etc, but don't push any particular one if someone asks how they can do the same.

Interestingly at home Mrs CRV sorts the running of the household bills, I simply transfer to her account my share of them each month. I wouldn't have a clue the specific amounts the different bills are. She on the other hand has no interest in savings types- good with money but she'd have it all saved as cash. When we sit down every now and then and I go through how we're saving for retirement her eyes glaze over and she just wants to know the bottom line, how much and when.

I'd discuss how to save with my sons but not what we save- that's private between my wife and I.

I wouldn't discuss our income/ plans with other family, they already sometimes get jealous because we both earn reasonable sized wages (but not what I'd call large- I work extra shifts because I need to for us and our plans), if they knew pension pot sizes they'd probably ask for a loan.

We're late converts to saving and having retirement planning as our goal so I suspect my siblings probably think we're a bit tight.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure