Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Marine_life, will you have to spend all your time at home though? ... As people on this thread have said, it's a lot easier to travel once you have the flexibility to take off at any time and as a result can snare the bargains.

According to my travel statistics on the airline I fly the most, since 1 January 2015 I have flown 152 times and covered 150.000 miles (that's roughly one flight every 3-4 days). To that you can add other flights on my "non-status" airlines which probably adds 10% or so to that total. So you will believe me when I say travelling is not necessarily one of my retirement priorities ;-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    According to my travel statistics on the airline I fly the most, since 1 January 2015 I have flown 152 times and covered 150.000 miles (that's roughly one flight every 3-4 days). To that you can add other flights on my "non-status" airlines which probably adds 10% or so to that total. So you will believe me when I say travelling is not necessarily one of my retirement priorities ;-)

Fair enough, but what ARE your retirement priorities? If you even know at this stage really, but you know what they are not it seems.
    Travelling for leisure is so different to travelling on business. But I am not sure how many of your airmiles are for business or pleasure.

Anyway, many people focus on the financial end of things, and I am not singling you out here, but they often forget about the practical and enjoyable side of potential retirement. Each to their own though, and I hope I am not coming across as patronising or anything like that.

Then again, it depends on the person I suppose. Some love working, some want to get out pronto, some are insecure about retirement, some want freedom, some want to travel and enjoy life, some want to fill every minute with hobbies and interests and so on.

To me, I have two things that I do part time now, one is being a guide in our lovely medieval city, the other is volunteering with a local special needs facility. Both I enjoy, and have done for a while pre retirement, but I made the decision to just change the times I could do these things, rather than the number of hours. This works for both as it is difficult to get volunteers outside of the main working hours sometimes. And it allows me the free time to enjoy indolence sometimes if I feel like it, that's what retirement is all about!

Look, we are all different I know that. But I cannot help avoiding a silly grin every day at how fortunate I am, and how much I am enjoying it all.

No matter what, I still adore Sunday nights now!
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Fair enough, but what ARE your retirement priorities?

There is a plan about a bunch of stuff.

Firstly, I plan to ski a decent amount during the winter. This year despite working full time I managed 31 days skiing of which only 10 days were on designated "holidays". I suspect that in retirement I will become a little more picky on the days I ski but can imagine 50-60 days.

Summers, will be mountain biking, road biking and hiking.

Most of the above is health dependent.

There will definitely be some travel but having already covered a lot I suspect that will be mainly limited to visiting friends and family although there are a couple of locations still on the bucket list (South Pacific Islands, Easter Island, Alaska and a couple of others).

I plan to play poker one day a week - I've made a decent amount of money online over the last 10 years and I think I would be a reasonably successful tournament player.

Then there's the "definitely want to do more of):

- cooking
    - investing (stock picking)
    - blogging (I already have a travel blog)
    - renting out our holiday apartment
    - become a wine expert

Then there's the "might be interesting"

- Learn another language
    - Learn to play tennis
    - volunteer

I'm sure there's lot of things out there but at the moment I focus on functioning :o
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Firstly, I plan to ski a decent amount during the winter. This year despite working full time I managed 31 days skiing of which only 10 days were on designated "holidays". I suspect that in retirement I will become a little more picky on the days I ski but can imagine 50-60 days.

There will definitely be some travel but having already covered a lot I suspect that will be mainly limited to visiting friends and family although there are a couple of locations still on the bucket list (South Pacific Islands, Easter Island, Alaska and a couple of others).

I plan to play poker one day a week - I've made a decent amount of money online over the last 10 years and I think I would be a reasonably successful tournament player.

- cooking
    - become a wine expert

- Learn another language
    - Learn to play tennis
    - volunteer

I'm sure there's lot of things out there but at the moment I focus on functioning :o

That sounds like a plan alright.

I am so lazy in comparison, but I still love it!

Best of luck.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

- cooking
    - become a wine expert

- Learn another language
    - Learn to play tennis
    - volunteer

You may find it more difficult to get travel out of your bloodstream than you think .... I certainly did ... and with all those miles you have :D

I'd consider adding to your list "street food safaris" which is a passion of ours. Basically we travel to the normal suspects places in Asia with the main aim of trying and learning as much street food as we can, which I then replicate at home.

It might interest you?

Jeff
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    On the subject of travel. I am not looking forward to the longer que at the arrival airport for non EU citizens with my British passport.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • tigerspill
    tigerspill Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    On the subject of travel. I am not looking forward to the longer que at the arrival airport for non EU citizens with my British passport.

Luckily some of us can get an Irish passport :)
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I may apply for a Polish passport. I have no connections there but they are pretty cool.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    You may find it more difficult to get travel out of your bloodstream than you think .... I certainly did ... and with all those miles you have :D

I'd consider adding to your list "salmonella safaris" which is a passion of ours. Basically we travel to the normal suspects places in Asia with the main aim of trying and learning as much street food as we can, which I then replicate at home.

It might interest you?

Jeff

Corrected that for you :p
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Corrected that for you :p

:D

Sadly ... your loss! More for me!:)

The only dose I ever had was in Bangkok. Whilst I wasn't impressed with cooking hygiene on the streets, I had no problems. The only problem was a celebrity Indian guest chef at the Intercontinental cost me three stone after some tandoori chicken.

In Singapore, the home of genuine fusion street food, hygiene is very highly regulated and much much cleaner than the UK.

Jeff
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure