Options
1601602603604605607»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nebulous2 said:

There is a town on a prominent route for us, where I often used to stop for food, or occasionally overnight, when journeying. They elected a politician who was one of my favourite hate figures, and I boycotted the whole town for a long time. 

If this wasn't Nadine Dorries then why on earth not?

I consider this similarly to when people on the banking board ask about "ethical" mainstream banks. Or is Co-op more ethical than HSBC? Dig beyond the surface puff and they are all about the same, as they share a common factor - the employees are humans, full of human desires, greed, generosity & selfishness.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nebulous2 said:
    robatwork said:
    Any plans for Japan?
    Japan is a country I won't visit on principle, due to the way their Govt. is responsible for the abuse of whales and dolphins. I very much doubt I will ever visit there.
    Isn't that a bit exhausting and problematic, working out which governments fit your criteria of "clean hands"? I only mention as form your map it looks like you have visited China, and lots of places in Africa and Asia where the regimes are at best bonkers, and at worst cruel and inhumane?  (Sorry for the OTness)
    We all have our own red lines of what is and isn't acceptable to us, and our decisions are our own, regardless of whether other people agree or not. 

Anything less than a 4 star hotel is definitely a red line for me.
  • Askfirst
    Askfirst Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good idea not to be in a chain. Reddit is full of horror stories about gazundering. For an offset, does that involve liquidating some ISA and/or PB holdings? 
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 1 April at 5:09PM
    Options
    Askfirst said:
    Good idea not to be in a chain. Reddit is full of horror stories about gazundering. For an offset, does that involve liquidating some ISA and/or PB holdings? 
    The plan would be to have all our cash ISA holdings in a flexible ISA by the time of purchase, so that I could use them for a deposit and then replenish them with the sale of my current house. We currently have £63K in Premium Bonds, so with ISA flexibility plus Premium Bonds plus other bits and pieces that should add up to whatever we need.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, helpful.

Some of our numbers for comparison/thoughts:
    1) Joint gross steady income post retirement about 60k (55k net as unfortunately very skewed to one earner) - aim for survivor to only lose equivalent on 1 state pension, will do this by taking reduced pension as soon as available and allocating enough to DW that she will get the sae pension as me on my death.
    2) One way of protecting fund for the 'bridging' periods to DB and then state pension is an index linked gilts ladder, this removes all market and inflation risk at the cost of any possible growth, given current linker prices the cost from a isa/dc pot is basically the number of years times the current value.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure