PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That happens from time to time.

I'm just waiting for someone in my size with impeccable taste in tailoring to drop dead (nothing infectious, though) so I can buy an entire rail of clothes from the 99p shop.

that would be nice, designer would be good :money:
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm just waiting for someone in my size with impeccable taste in tailoring to drop dead (nothing infectious, though) so I can buy an entire rail of clothes from the 99p shop.

With the side risk that you will be going about your lawful business when someone steps up and greets you in a manner indicative of how that lovely taste was originally paid for.

Or that some un-informed friend or relations sees you, greets you & you have to explain that actually you rather gather dear Mrs G died several months ago & you just liked her taste in coats.

If I managed to acquire an entire wardrobe from one source, I think my family would need smelling salts. We're all far too used to my unrepentant scarecrow look. I'm covered - no straw shows through - but emphatically not tailored. An intriguing idea but somewhat restrictive I imagine?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's a bit drastic. Can you not just hope they have a sudden and irreversible fluctuation in weight and you benefit on that basis?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    That's a bit drastic. Can you not just hope they have a sudden and irreversible fluctuation in weight and you benefit on that basis?

I could, but it's easier just to keep checking the charity shops nearest the undertaker's.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Mrs G died several months ago & you just liked her taste in coats.

I'll go so far for a bargain, but not transvestism.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My apologies - not so much leaping to a concussion as just not thinking enough.
    More tea in future!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A memorable trip to the Otley chazza shops this afty on the bus....memorable for all the wrong reasons! A rather pungent member of the 'great unwashed' sat next to me which resulted in me having to squirm away from touching any part of this person's person or apparel or belongings and also having to try and hold my breath as much as possible for the whole of the half hour journey. I eventually leapt off the bus in Otley and really savoured huge gulps of fresh country air. Anyhoo, straight into the 99p St Gemma's hospice shop and I purchased two t shirts....one elbow length sleeved, scoopy necked in a nice dusky rose colour and the other red with long sleeves and a scoopy neck by Esmara lingerie. I thought it strange that it had a little satin 'lingerie bow' at the neck but it will be fine to wear as a t-shirt with the bow removed. Then, in the BHF shop I spotted a tiny b/n cellophaned box containing a roll on bottle of 4711 cologne. Priced at 50p. Ping...:idea: light bulb moment.....perfect to keep in my bag in case I have a similar dubiously fragranced journey.

So, back on the bus home and after a few stops a trendy looking yoof gets on absolutely reeking of cannabis. Fortunately he did not sit next to me but I quite enjoyed flamboyantly deploying the said cologne on all available pulse points in order to mask that horrible sweet/sickly smell :D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I always carry scent on my travels for that very reason. As well as my pulse points I dab a tiny but under my nose too! Got lucky a while ago with two little sample sizes of really nice fragrances (can't remember the names and can't be bothered to go and look) for 20p each. I also buy tiny atomisers when I see them for around the 99p mark, for the same purpose.

Yesterday I got a pair of black jeans, Tu Gok Wan label, perfect fit, for £2.50 in a CR shop. Very pleased :) . Trying not to impulse buy too much these days, both for financial and clutternancial reasons!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Lucyjoanne
    Options
    I’m more than happy to say that 80% of my clothes are from charity shops. Other than underwear and pyjamas - the lot do! I love shopping, the thrill of finding something, creating an outfit, etc.

I’m classed as homeless, living in a hostel, but through them I’m living daily in nice clothes, yet not forming out a fortune for them. Yesterday I got a pair of Ted Baker trousers for work for 99p! Speaking of work, I’m at Debenhams, and I’ve got to say, be careful in some charity shops (like our local BHF) - Ive seen some items in charitable shops that are actually more expensive that they are originally. I’ve seen some bags on sale at Debs that are cheaper than identical ones at charities!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Lucyjoanne wrote: »
    I’m more than happy to say that 80% of my clothes are from charity shops. Other than underwear and pyjamas - the lot do! I love shopping, the thrill of finding something, creating an outfit, etc.

I’m classed as homeless, living in a hostel, but through them I’m living daily in nice clothes, yet not forming out a fortune for them. Yesterday I got a pair of Ted Baker trousers for work for 99p! Speaking of work, I’m at Debenhams, and I’ve got to say, be careful in some charity shops (like our local BHF) - Ive seen some items in charitable shops that are actually more expensive that they are originally. I’ve seen some bags on sale at Debs that are cheaper than identical ones at charities!
    Hi Lucyjoanne and welcome to the thread. :)

Good Ted Baker bargain. :T

We do have the occasional whinge on here about the silly prices some charity shops put on their clothes.
    Talking of Debenhams, I saw a pair of trousers in our Hospice shop - one of their 'designers' and BNWT that had been reduced to 70% by Debs but the hospice shop had priced them higher than that!
    Bonkers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport