PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Over 6 weeks ago my DD spotted a lovely summer dress in Age UK for £6.99, it was Peacocks brand and we thought it was too expensive. Yesterday it was still there (she's looked at it a couple of times since seeing it originally too) at £6.99 so a very brave 14 yo DD took it to the counter and said Peacocks is cheap and they've had the dress since the beginning of summer, they offered to knock it down to £4.99 as that is the minimum price they charge for a Primark dress:eek: and that tomorrow they were sending it to another shop a couple of miles away. DD said £3 was her max so she left it. We thought this was crazy as summer is ending and they will end up getting nothing for that dress.

On that same trip yesterday DS bought a lovely Animal tshirt with a shark design on it for £1.49, I got DH a Next moleskin blazer in a dark sand colour with a very nice lining for £4.69 and a winter parka for DD for school with a fur trimmed hood, quilted lining, fishtail back and slightly waxy coating for £7 - this was a bit pricey but agreeing on something is rare.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    if i venture somewhere with a charity shop this weekend im hoping i pick up something good even a book after the disastrous trip to my hometown shops!
    :D
    il keep you posted
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love charity shopping!!! Most of my clothes come from either fb or fleabay. Recently there was new one open up I picked up a new pair of walking boots for a £5!!! Just in time as mine as slowing dieing!! A pair of running shirts for £2. Just want I needed as I've started to bike again. Well I did until I got plurasly so now resting up!! Me and my late mum loved our little days out nothing beats spending time together bargin shopping! !! Miss her dearly. I've kitted out my new house with cs bits too!!

I don't need anymore clothes or jackets. Winter hats I look out for. Saying that I need to look out for a light weight waterproof coat as mine seems to be leaking! I used to love coming back and showing my mum and get her guessing at prices too. Mum was ways chuffed with the items I brought back.

I've got curtains throws and pilows and pillow cases all bargins too. Even when I go away I must pop in to the local one's. Whist I was down Skegness I pick up 3 sets of curtains all at a great price!!!
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    berries wrote: »
    I love charity shopping!!! Most of my clothes come from either fb or fleabay. Recently there was new one open up I picked up a new pair of walking boots for a £5!!! Just in time as mine as slowing dieing!! A pair of running shirts for £2. Just want I needed as I've started to bike again. Well I did until I got plurasly so now resting up!! Me and my late mum loved our little days out nothing beats spending time together bargin shopping! !! Miss her dearly. I've kitted out my new house with cs bits too!!

I don't need anymore clothes or jackets. Winter hats I look out for. Saying that I need to look out for a light weight waterproof coat as mine seems to be leaking! I used to love coming back and showing my mum and get her guessing at prices too. Mum was ways chuffed with the items I brought back.

I've got curtains throws and pilows and pillow cases all bargins too. Even when I go away I must pop in to the local one's. Whist I was down Skegness I pick up 3 sets of curtains all at a great price!!!
    Ah. but there's a big difference between 'need' and 'want'. ;)
    Yes, I do know that I don't need that fab jacket/coat/dress/skirt/blouse/shoes etc but...but... I want it. :D

Sorry to hear about your pleurisy.
    I used to go charity shopping with my Mum too, she'd catch the bus into our local town and I'd meet her off the bus and after doing the charity shop rounds we'd go for lunch.
    She's too infirm now to walk far but we still pop into the odd shop.

I used to go to Skeg every year with my sis and her kids.
    I used to love a mooch round the charity shops there.
    They used to have a couple of big car boots fairly locally IIRC.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    berries wrote: »
    Me and my late mum loved our little days out nothing beats spending time together bargin shopping! !
    I love doing this too, although of late have been out and about on my own. We have a great time, despite the fact whenever she walks into one she announces to me, "You're not allowed to buy any more books" - mostly for the entertainment of the whole shop.

Whenever I buy a blouse, it seems that it ends up on my Mum - am very happy to see her enjoying my finds. I am less happy when my sister makes off with my stuff, mostly because I find out about it after she has helped herself, and it never comes back 100%. Some sisters do have 'em.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    that's a daughter to be proud of xx our dr b is selling lots of its clothes for 29p a pop safe to say I got about 10 things..think they are having a clear out might be worth a look if you are passing one

I got m and s manteray and gap tops mostly
    onwards and upwards
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I love doing this too, although of late have been out and about on my own. We have a great time, despite the fact whenever she walks into one she announces to me, "You're not allowed to buy any more books" - mostly for the entertainment of the whole shop.

Whenever I buy a blouse, it seems that it ends up on my Mum - am very happy to see her enjoying my finds. I am less happy when my sister makes off with my stuff, mostly because I find out about it after she has helped herself, and it never comes back 100%. Some sisters do have 'em.

That's what my mum used to do too especially gullets as I have loads of them already. My sister isn't a cs shopper sadly.
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have been looking for new knee high brown boots everywhere recently to no joy, found a lovely pair of slightly worn Pavers ones for £1 in the local hospice shop, similar £70 brand new!

Also two Next tops for DS, now moving into age 2-3 (He's two in less than a fortnight!!), one Batman, one Thomas the Tank Engine, also £1 each.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2018 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Banardo's has delivered yet again! Brand new with box and dust covers Mansur Gavriel classic loafers in the brandy colour- £10. A saving of 97.22% :j
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Banardo's has delivered yet again! Brand new with box and dust covers Mansur Gavriel classic loafers in the brandy colour- £10. A saving of 97.22% :j

Some people might say that £10 is expensive for a charity shop but I think you should put the price you're paying into perspective against the original selling price.
    And I think you've bagged a great bargain. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport