Nationwide Additional Cardholder

Options
Had reason to contact Nationwide today and as I wanted to add my girlfriend as an additional cardholder I thought I'd ask to do that while on the phone.

Confirmed that my girlfriend doesn't reside at the same address as myself and that she isn't a close family member and was told that they cannot request an additional card if the additional cardholder either doesn't reside at the same address or isn't a close family member.

Submitted the same request with the same responses online through internet banking and the system states an application form is being sent to me.

So, to get to the question, has anyone got an additional card for someone who doesn't live with them and is not a close family member?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If that's their rules then the answer would be no
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Does your girlfriend not count as a close family member? I mean, you obviously trust her like close family, to be naming her as an additional cardholder...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does your girlfriend not count as a close family member? I mean, you obviously trust her like close family, to be naming her as an additional cardholder...

That's a good question.

If I describe her as my partner of over 4.5 years it seems that you might describe her as a close family member. I wouldn't actually get an additional card fro my Mother or Sister and certainly not my brother.

The website doesn't allow you to proceed if you select no for either the close family member or residing at same address question so perhaps the form they send out asks some in-depth questions.
  • TheShape
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    If that's their rules then the answer would be no

It wasn't clear that they are the rules otherwise upon applying online answering either, 'does the reside with you' or 'is the person a close family member' should end the process and not allow you to proceed. Instead it informs you that an application form has been sent.

When I mentioned this on the phone, the agent seemed less sure of the position.

Usually the best answer is 'ask your credit card/account provider but the answer from them wasn't clear.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to do what you did a couple of years ago and yes, the person needs to be living at your address and on the electoral roll, equifax etc etc there (they will run a credit check for the person's name at your address if they find nothing then no card)
  • TheShape
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I tried to do what you did a couple of years ago and yes, the person needs to be living at your address and on the electoral roll, equifax etc etc there (they will run a credit check for the person's name at your address if they find nothing then no card)

Makes me wonder why the system would send you an application form if you've already confirmed the prospective additional card holder doesn't reside at your address.
  • TheShape
    Options
    Received additional cardholder application form today.

Will complete it and submit it although at the speed things are moving so far (10 days to receive the application form) I'm doubtful that we'll get the card before we travel on the 13th Sept.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 August 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Do you live anywhere near a branch of Nationwide ?

If you see somebody soonest, with the completed paperwork, and explain the timescale issue, it could expedite the application.

I expect they'll want your ladyfriend in attendance with passport etc., etc.

In my experience a face to face appointment gets things actioned quicker - - often a 'phone call from the branch is the way forward.
  • TheShape
    Options
    You can get an additional card for someone who does not reside at the same address and isn't a close family member.

Completed application form, presented in branch with my girlfriend with ID and proof of address. They didn't actually verify the proof of address but that may be because she already had a customer record by virtue of being a previous mortgage customer.

Application form submitted in branch 29/08/2018, card and PIN received 07/09/2018.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I'll be interested to see whether they do in fact agree that your girlfriend is a 'close family member'
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family