16 replies 4.1K views
2»

Replies

• MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    18cc wrote: »
    I tried to do what you did a couple of years ago and yes, the person needs to be living at your address and on the electoral roll, equifax etc etc there (they will run a credit check for the person's name at your address if they find nothing then no card)
    That's interesting - my wife's an additional cardholder on my Nationwide credit card and they approved it. She lives with me but isn't on the electoral roll (she's not a UK citizen yet) - she does have a Nationwide current account, so that may have helped.
  • guesswho2000guesswho2000 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    That's interesting - my wife's an additional cardholder on my Nationwide credit card and they approved it. She lives with me but isn't on the electoral roll (she's not a UK citizen yet) - she does have a Nationwide current account, so that may have helped.

I always believed the electoral roll myth, and yes I agree it helps with ID verification, I can still get approved for UK credit cards despite my principal place of residence being in Australia (I do have a genuine UK address, however).

My electoral roll info is linked to my old address, in a different electoral division, and I'm rego'd as an overseas postal voter, my credit files showing that I'm not on the roll.

Amex approve with no issues, as I have many existing cards with them in both countries, and the only company which asked for ID was happy with my passport and a statement proving I have the said UK address.

So yes, it's another hurdle, but not being ER reg'd isn't a show stopper, providing you've got some sort of credit history there (mine being long and perfect).
  • My girlfriend and I got a credit card, me as the additional cardholder and her as the main account holder, we live 30 miles apart and they had no issues, we also had mortgage affordability done at same time in branch as well as a joint current account setup
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As this thread has popped up again, a brief update.

Additional card was very useful in the USA. My card didn't work a few times, mostly when swiped (I use my card for almost all spending and it is rather worn). Very few places were chip and pin. Very handy to have a backup card.

Ps Chicago is a great city.
  • In my experience, there is little consistency between CCs when issuing additional cards. They range from insisting on someone being a family member living at your address and credit checking them (or at least checking via the CRAs they exist) to no limitations at all.
  • Nationwide Additional Cardholder
    14th Aug 18 at 9:37 AM
    Had reason to contact Nationwide today and as I wanted to add my girlfriend as an additional cardholder I thought I'd ask to do that while on the phone.

Confirmed that my girlfriend doesn't reside at the same address as myself and that she isn't a close family member and was told that they cannot request an additional card if the additional cardholder either doesn't reside at the same address or isn't a close family member.

Submitted the same request with the same responses online through internet banking and the system states an application form is being sent to me.

So, to get to the question, has anyone got an additional card for someone who doesn't live with them and is not a close family member?
    On the off chance that you see someone soonest, with the finished printed material, and clarify the timescale issue, it could assist the application.
    I expect they'll need your ladyfriend in participation with identification and so forth., and so on.
    As far as I can tell an eye to eye arrangement gets things actioned speedier - regularly a 'telephone call from the branch is the path forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals