Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks :) Would this be the same as setting up an automatic direct debit?

Also, Halifax have offered me a 21% rate which I know is poor but even that looks better than the other cards Martin mentioned?

Nope. A direct debit will be taken at payment due date, 27 days after the statement date it looks like. So if your statement date is 1st then worst case is you take money out on 1st April. That comes on 1st May statement which direct debit pays on on 27th May. That's almost all of April and all of May, 2 month's interest at ~1.75%, ~3.5%. If you check the account online and pay it off as soon as it appears then you pay interest on about 1 week, ~0.44%.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just used the Clarity card to withdraw cash for the first time and I'm very pleased at the results.

Withdrew $800 on Saturday and made a payment the same day of £500. I reckoned it would cost about £484 and the interest for 3 days would be around 52p.

It showed on my account yesterday and was only £482 with a rate of $1.6622 and I was only charged 11p in interest.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 May 2011 at 6:02PM
    Options
    If you transfer £500.00 and the withdrawal is around £484, you will be in credit (pos balance). Do I get it right that it seems they still tolarate in case people are in credit as long as the sum is quite small. In your case is just under £25.

luci wrote: »
    I've just used the Clarity card to withdraw cash for the first time and I'm very pleased at the results.

Withdrew $800 on Saturday and made a payment the same day of £500. I reckoned it would cost about £484 and the interest for 3 days would be around 52p.

It showed on my account yesterday and was only £482 with a rate of $1.6622 and I was only charged 11p in interest.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    I've have just received the Santander Zero Card which has 6 months 0% credit on card purchases. It claims to take payments off cash withdrawals first, so it appears that providing I pay off the cash portion immediately I could carry on using the card credit for 6 months. Has anyone successfully done this?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    If you transfer £500.00 and the withdrawal is around £484, you will be in credit (pos balance). Do I get it right that it seems they still tolarate in case people are in credit as long as the sum is quite small. In your case is just under £25.

I don't have a positive balance as I have a considerable amount of purchases as well as the cash advance.
  • mick121212
    mick121212 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Please help me guys, I need it.. I'm off to Phuket in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm going to take TC's. The reason I'm thinking like this is because I have many credit cards (all max'd up) and my old nationwide debit card is now longer any use with the extra charges. With TC's, at least I'm going to get protection in case they go missing, which will make my holiday more stress free. Unless you lot can advise me better, can you please tell me which are the best ones to get (sterling/usd) and is it always better to cash them at a bank (unsure on how many banks there are in Patong??) or anywhere else??

Also where's the best place to order them from too??

Please help me

Thanks
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Even with Nationwide's 2% (2% + £1 for ATM withdrawals), I suspect that using the Flex a/c VISA debit card would be significantly cheaper than using travellers' cheques, especially if you opted for US dollar ones - with those you'd be paying once, via the exchange rate, for buying USD TCs, then again for changing them into Ringgits.

It depends on the acceptance of VISA and availability of ATMs in the location that you are visiting, of course, but you can check the latter via the VISA ATM locator.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    Options
    Any one know of a Mastercard ATM locator web site?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mastercard ATM locator?
    Typing that very phrase into Google brings up several choices.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2011 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Thanks, it is broken down into counties and maintained locally - but I've managed to grasp enough Spanish to find what I was looking for in S.America.:T

It even links to Google (and street view where available) - isn't the internet wonderful
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback