Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• Smevchenko
    Smevchenko Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July, most of the rental companies seem to want about 1200 EUR for a deposit and also 1200 EUR for excess. They will charge the deposit, but only check for available funds for the excess. Am i right in thinking I will therefore need something in the region of £2200 available on my credit card to be able to collect this vehicle?

Also, obviously the cheaper options are with companies such as GoldCar. Should I be avoiding these at all costs, is it really worth paying 2-3 times more to go with companies like Hertz or Enterprise?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    Smevchenko wrote: »
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July....companies like Hertz or Enterprise?

They can be very competitive at this location. What £s are they asking?

Thousands have been scammed by rubbish car hire companies, why do you want to join them?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • RogerL
    Options
    This is not strictly a reply, just a way to get feedback on the following. I read the section on hiring from the 'holiday' country's website (Alamo - Portugal in my case) and clicked on the top Google entry for this, which was an Ad for Carflexi.com. The prices are FAR LOWER (between £80 - £100). Is this too good to be true? Anyone had experience of this?
  • southantrim3
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a car hire firm at Malaga airport?

Seems to be a minefield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :beer:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a car hire firm at Malaga airport?

Seems to be a minefield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :beer:

See post #753. How many days for?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Smevchenko wrote: »
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July, most of the rental companies seem to want about 1200 EUR for a deposit and also 1200 EUR for excess. They will charge the deposit, but only check for available funds for the excess. Am i right in thinking I will therefore need something in the region of £2200 available on my credit card to be able to collect this vehicle?

Also, obviously the cheaper options are with companies such as GoldCar. Should I be avoiding these at all costs, is it really worth paying 2-3 times more to go with companies like Hertz or Enterprise?

Deposit and excess are one and the same.
  • cantabrico
    Options
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has had the experience with Gold Car in Tenerife, maybe it happens with other companies too? We hired a care for 2 weeks and bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and the only insurance that did was their own at 250.00 pounds which we ended up paying on top of the care hire. We heard a couple infront if us too saying that a driver under 25 also had to pay an additional 200 on top of that!I didn't understand why our insurance that we bought in the UK wouldn't cover us, but Gold Car were having none of it. My partner is Spanish and even he couldn't get to understand why our insurance wouldn't cover us. Has anyone else had this experience, or know why our insurance wouldn't cover the car. Do you have to buy theirs? I hired a car with them in Tenerife 2 years ago and did not have this problem. It seems to me they have cottoned on to making some money by people buying their own insurance and telling everyone they are not covered if they buy their own.....
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    cantabrico wrote: »
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has had the experience with Gold Car in Tenerife, maybe it happens with other companies too? We hired a care for 2 weeks and bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and the only insurance that did was their own at 250.00 pounds which we ended up paying on top of the care hire. We heard a couple infront if us too saying that a driver under 25 also had to pay an additional 200 on top of that!I didn't understand why our insurance that we bought in the UK wouldn't cover us, but Gold Car were having none of it. My partner is Spanish and even he couldn't get to understand why our insurance wouldn't cover us. Has anyone else had this experience, or know why our insurance wouldn't cover the car. Do you have to buy theirs? I hired a car with them in Tenerife 2 years ago and did not have this problem. It seems to me they have cottoned on to making some money by people buying their own insurance and telling everyone they are not covered if they buy their own.....
    Shoddy company judging by other threads.

Your own insurance would require you to pay the car hire company for damage and claim it back later.

You weren't required to take a second policy with the hirer. I'd be tempted to talk to your bank about a chargeback.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cantabrico wrote: »
    bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and
    When you buy your own insurance for CDW excess it covers yourself according to whatever its terms are. It is nothing to do with the hire firm and there is no need to even mention it to them - simply and firmly decline their own excess cover without further conversation. They will take a preauthorisation on your credit card, and if any damage is found on the car's return (that was not clearly marked on the report when picking up the car), will retain that excess amount. You ideally get the invoice at drop-off, or later, and claim that back on your own extra insurance. Goldcar, especially in Tenerife, are best avoided unless you know how to deal with such cowboys.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • johnbb99
    johnbb99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    In order to avoid arguments with car hire companies about pre-existing damage, people take photos of the car before driving away.
    In particular, when it's difficult or impossible to get the hire staff to check the condition for themselves, what is stopping them saying the photos don’t count (for some reason) or are invalid [eg because you tampered with the date stamp]?
    Anyone BTDTGTTS, and succeeded, or not?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure