Stumped

Options

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    don't ask her on her birthday!!! then she will always remember her birthday as the time she had to tell you!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    If she's in good health (i.e. you're not facing losing her within the next 12 months) then frankly I think you should drop it for the moment.

She'll have faced a huge amount of discrimination and judgement for being pregnant out of wedlock. Talking about it is going to drag out the feeling of shame that was foisted on her by people at the time. She could well have been ostracised by her local community and by members of her family, spoken to as if she was a piece of dirt that happened to walk through the door. Do not underestimate how plain nasty people will have been to her at the time, not to mention the pressure to give you up to social services under the promise of a "good home" (ignoring the numbers of children that stayed in care their entire childhoods and ended up being abused by the very people who had promised to look after them). Your Dad must have seemed like an absolute Godsend at the time, a man who promised to stand by her and meant it! Willing to take you as part of the deal!

Eventually you could ask her to write down the name of your birth father, with a promise that it will only be revealed after she has passed. This may be the best compromise you can get, and it may not be wise to push any further than this.

The world has changed considerably in the past few decades, it's difficult to imagine the kind of things that will have been said, shouted, or spat at your mother as she walked around with you inside her. Please keep that in mind, and don't judge her too harshly if she feels unable to talk about it face to face.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    My dads name is on my birth certificate. The guy I always thought was my dad. He died many years ago in 1974. He was the father to my next two brothers down. I know this now but it was a shock to find out he isn't my dad. He asked my mum never to let me know about my past. He did not want me to feel different from my brothers.

The man who brought you up and loved you is your dad - anything else is just blood.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The man who brought you up and loved you is your dad - anything else is just blood.

But that doesn’t mean a person shouldn’t be interested in finding out about their genetic family connections.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2018 at 12:56PM
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    But that doesn!!!8217;t mean a person shouldn!!!8217;t be interested in finding out about their genetic family connections.

Interest is one thing, denying your real family is rather different. (Not to suggest that the OP is doing this but others seem to be encouraging him to think like that with all the comments about his "real" dad.)
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Interest is one thing, denying your real family is rather different. (Not to suggest that the OP is doing this but others seem to be encouraging him to think like that with all the comments about his "real" dad.)

Where? ..........
  • JayJay100
    JayJay100 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    My situation is similar, but different. I was brought up by an amazing stepmum, knowing she was my stepmum and assuming that my natural mum was dead. Not so: she died last year, and I only found out about her due to being a beneficiary in her will. I have two half sisters and a half brother that I knew nothing about.

I'm lucky because my stepmum has been able to fill in some of the blanks; I suspect that she's withholding a lot of information. My dad is refusing to discuss the situation full stop. He's a quiet man, who had a difficult life in many ways, and he's stubborn. If I try to talk to him, I can see the flash of pain or perhaps anger in his face and he walks away. I have never been angry with before, but I am now, even though I do my best to keep it hidden. The relationship I have with my half sisters is best described as difficult; one will have nothing to do with me at all, and the other leads me a merry dance. Sometimes she's wonderful, and sometimes she's a complete horror: I frequently feel as though I'm walking on eggshells. None of us have contact with the half brother.

The problem is that I have questions; a real craving for knowledge that is not going away. It's ridiculous things such as having to complete a medical questionnaire which included questions about any history of cancer; I have answered that question with 'unknown' a dozen times without a problem, but suddenly it gets to me. I have times where I feel resentful and angry because I could have spent time with my natural mum, and got to know her properly. I struggle to understand why this is important to me, because I didn't miss out in any way: my stepmum was and is superb, but I do feel as though something has been stolen from me. I'm bitter about the situation I have with my sisters and my brother, even though I know that I probably have a rose-tinted image of how I think it would have been if we'd had contact when we were children.

I suggest that you list as many questions as you can, and see if there is anyone else who could perhaps answer them for you; an auntie, an uncle or a close family friend perhaps. If not, I think you will have to tackle your mum, but it's important to be as understanding as you can, and to try not to apportion blame, even if you want to: I wanted to, even though I knew it was irrational. One thing I did realise was that as soon as I got an answer to one question, it would trigger another six to try and find out the detail.

Good luck. I hope you find out what you need to know for peace of mind.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Where? ..........

Post #2 - I thought there were more.:o
  • Mojisola
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I think you do have a right to know who your dad is and your mum must have known this day would come.
    Post #2 - I thought there were more.:o

I don't read that as the genetic father being the 'real Dad'.

One of my grandfathers was a step-parent and it's taken me ages to find out who our genetic grandfather was but he's not 'real' in the same way as the man who was there and part of our lives.

I'm still pleased to have found him and have been able to trace his family further back - they may not have been part of our lives but we do carry some of their genes.
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    My dads name is on my birth certificate. The guy I always thought was my dad. He died many years ago in 1974. He was the father to my next two brothers down. I know this now but it was a shock to find out he isn't my dad. He asked my mum never to let me know about my past. He did not want me to feel different from my brothers.

He sounds like a great Dad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport