Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Hope all ok, good news on the build nearly being done!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you have a good weekend x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad the build is going well. Hope other areas of RL settle down.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Well we are in touching distance of the builders leaving :j

Can’t wait to get in the space and start using it. We’ve been very sensible on spends for in there too. So we will remain curtain and blindless for the foreseeable until we find something we like in our price range.

I did buy some half price towels yesterday but used the spend towards a MOC I wouldn’t have got to threshold without so double bargain. They came out top in a recent tested section in a magazine I read in one of the numerous waiting rooms I’ve been in recently so hoping they live up to their hype. Very good price too.

Cards finally down from the loft but remain unwritten. Job for Sunday if not before.

Almost done on the rest of Christmas just about 2 presents left to get and then it’ll be no more. :D

Food requirements can be finalised next week and purchased in 1 foul swoop, no need to go mad, there is only so much people can eat in a day.

Need to research making of GF bread and have a bash. Bought some GF flour, so that’s a start.

It’s payday here so big budget day required for all the money shuffling. I’m grateful for an additional bit in my salary which will be spent very wisely and not frittered. Albeit we may treat ourselves to a takeaway at some point, but this is a real treat as we probably have 2 or 3 a year these days.

No running still, walking going well.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like it's all getting there now, PurpleFairy. It will be a big relief when it's all done & you can just enjoy it.
    We are the same with takeaways these days. Back in the Spendy Years, we'd have at least one a week - occasionally two - it is easy to talk yourself into the easy option when you're both working full time, some evening & weekend working plus a 40+ mile round trip commute each day. Now we have 3, perhaps 4 a year & both agree that we enjoy them much more. It ceases to be a treat if it happens too regularly, I think.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Evening diaryland.

Well, do you know what we still haven’t had that takeaway. We’ve had food in and stuff that needed using or just not felt hungry enough so have left it for another day.

Builders just have 2 things left to do. It’s very exciting :D

Money shuffle all done and budget set for this month. Have shuffled a payment round accounts to get the interest payment for the month too.

Have managed to make chicken stock on a sc function in the new oven. Means standalone sc can go to the charity shop. :T

Will make stock in to a hearty stew tomorrow. Need to do a shopping list so I can shop tomorrow. Triaged both fridges today, cleaned out one whilst I was there. Nice and shiny for Christmas :D

We now have a half empty room that is to be a playroom. We have no budget for it and don’t intend to spend any money we don’t have so I’m going to shop from home ala Foxgloves. First thing will be a clean and then shift some furniture round and then take stock on what if anything, we might need.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    How very exciting! Happy for you.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Builders just have 2 things left to do. It’s very exciting :D

So excited for you!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    So playroom is still WIP, some furniture moved, a table is being gifted :D and cleaning done. I do have a pile of stuff to find a home for, but when Christmas is done it’ll be easier once decs have gone away and there is more space.

I’ve wrapped about 50% of the gifts. Was hoping to do the rest today but just don’t have the energy. I have a couple of other things that need doing, including a large pile of boxes we have accumulated that need to go out to recycling. Will do that in a minute and the fresh air may give me some energy.

Money all straight, final couple of builders bills to pay (definitely won’t miss those :rotfl:) another item was collected today for a refund and I have a box of tiles to go back for a refund so that will all go and reimburse where it came from. Waiting on a part refund for another item. Annoyed now I ordered it without reading their refund policy, my own fault but it cost £60 to return :eek: as it was at my cost. Still I’ll still get something back, lesson learnt though.

I’ve been very reserved with buying for the extension but am going to have to break that and get some curtains this week I think, our window is very exposed :o anything else we might need I’ll try and get in the sales. Not that we need too much.
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Sounds an amazing space you’ve created and so restrained at putting extra items in. Very impressive.

Enjoy your Christmas!! With no builders :rotfl:

Brizzle x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport