Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay the window cleaner?

Options

Comments

• chog24
    chog24 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    If you have not asked for your windows to be cleaned, it's not your fault if the window cleaner doesn't take notice of the As and Bs of the houses.

I'd expect that if you tell someone that you're not going to pay because you don't want your windows cleaned the first time, then they should know not to clean them next time. If he carries on cleaning them, then on his head be it.
  • joannie
    joannie Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    If you didn't ask him to do your windows then you are not obliged to pay him.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No, don't pay him. He cleaned your windows on a unsolicited basis so there was no contract between you. If this problem happens regularly, put a note inside your front door windows, so that it can be read from the outside, to the effect that "No Window Cleaning service is required at this house"..
  • robynprincess
    Options
    if het gets confused which house is which, why not leave a note out on one window saying no window cleaning pease? I wuldnt be paying him either
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have told him before that you don't want your windows cleaned and have warned him at least once before, I'd say no. If he carried on after being warned he sounds like he is having you on.

If you however let it go time and time again and just paid up with no mention, no warning, then you really need to have a word with him and explain you will not be paying from here onwards but pay for any work done as you had done before.
  • nannienorms
    Options
    Although you haven't asked the window cleaner not to clean your windows, you have still received the benefit. Surely the answer would be to tell him you don't want them done, and if he persists you could then refuse to pay him on the grounds he hasn't followed your instructions.:A
  • kattybunny
    kattybunny Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    NO !!!
    It sounds like he's peering you into getting his services.
    Leave a note where he left you one saying that you don't want and never requested for your windows to be cleaned and will nto pay if this happens again.
    If he was so bothered , he wouldn't of forgot that he did the same mistake as last time.
    He sounds like he's done this sort of thing before if you ask me
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't ;)
  • emmamc1976
    emmamc1976 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    definately not, is mistake not yours! He'll soon stop doing it when he realises it's a waste of his time and money.
  • jdbigguy
    jdbigguy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    You have told him repeatedly not to clean your windows. He is either thick or a chancer. Don't pay him. If he continues to bother you and is getting aggressive call the police.
  • Mouseboy007
    Options
    Do the following:

1) Get pen and paper
    2) Write down the webpage address for this forum link.
    3) When he turns up again, hand the peice of paper to him and close the door.

:rotfl:

P.S. You could add the number of your local police station as step 4, just to drive home the point.

P.P.S. Step 5, keep an eye out for his van. When you see him park up, before he gets the opportunity to jump out the car, run down with a wet sponge and wipe his windscreen and put your hand out charging £5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure