Disabled Moneysaving

Options
I am a profoundly deaf MSEr and I've found a host of disabled entitlements that I never knew were avaiable unless you search and ask deep enough.

Any chance of having a Disability board on MSE?

Insert By Martin

This discussion was started, and as part of it, this new board was created. So we decided it'd be nice to move it to the new board, so people can see its origins.

Martin :)

Comments

• sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea odd one (if i may call you that) my sister is disabled and i know there are many issues surrounding her disability and rights and issues that she would happily discuss. It may also give people an insight into your life..
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
  • odd-one-out
    Options
    Hahaha yes you may call me that. There are a host of benefits available to disabled people such as free bus passes (Freedom pass in London), disability wristband in most theme parks that allow you to beat queue times, etc. I had a discussion about disabled benefits at work with another deaf colleague and we realised that the Government is doing little to raise awareness of the available benefits. It would therefore be immensely helpful to have a Disabled Board, and as you mentioned, people can learn a little more about the everyday life of a person who isn't as advantaged as normal.
  • andiescottie
    Options
    Me three!

I think that is an excellent idea... even a sub section of a board would be helpful.

Cos we is speshial :D
    Trix-ellen is a life saver and a wee angel!:T
    For those of you that dont know I have arthritis...;)

Oh and Im laughing out loud :p
    Norn Iron club member no: 311:D
  • odd-one-out
    Options
    Glad to know that more people are up for this idea. It would be really helpful for everyone and an beneficial expansion to the MSE forums :D
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I am a profoundly deaf MSEr and I've found a host of disabled entitlements that I never knew were avaiable unless you search and ask deep enough.

Any chance of having a Disability board on MSE?

Excellent idea odd-one-out :T

There are a range of entitlements, charities, grants ect that are available for people with disabilities, but they are not often advertised, so as you have found, people need to search or ask what's available in order to benefit from the various entitlements.

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    yes, yes, yes! I was thinking that earlier. A MSE disabled board would be good. I mean there are plenty of disabled forums like HappyJack you'reable OUCH (don'rt know the URL) etc etc, but there are things that are money saving specific etc like OTs, benefits blah blah blah
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Great idea, but can it please be a disabilities and long term illnesses board? My Mum and I were both unlucky enough to be treated for cancer at the same time and I spent a lot of time scurrying around looking for information that I know if the question was slightly different (for example if I was looking for benefits information rather than say specifics about buying post breast surgery bras) I'd be able to go straight to a sticky which lovely MSE'rs will have posted everything I need to know underneath. It would be great if others also had easy access to that type of info.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good idea - there are many things available, but they are difficult to access sometimes.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Until we have one....should we use this thread as the disabled/long term illness money saving board?

...thread number 1, lol - I can't hold a telephone properly/often or for long - does anyone knw where I can get a headset telephone from?
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    foxxymynx wrote: »
    Until we have one....should we use this thread as the disabled/long term illness money saving board?

...thread number 1, lol - I can't hold a telephone properly/often or for long - does anyone knw where I can get a headset telephone from?

What about headset.co.uk?

I bought a cordless phone with a loudspeaker option, because it's difficult when I'm lying flat to use the phone sometimes [mainly because of the aerial]. That would be cheaper than a headset, but there is then the problem of privacy.

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure