PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am back from the Christie. My cancer is not all gone but it is shrinking. I will be having another scan in 3 months. Hopefully it will be clear then.

Hope all goes well for you Saturday FPK. I hope you will be very happy in the country.

My thoughts are with you all who are moving.

Good news NM. Fingers crossed for you x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh NurseMaggie what good news. I had to login just to say. I'll be hoping for you for the next three months.x
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    FairyP in case I'm too distracted tomorrow, all the best for Saturday. I have moved 7 times in the last 25 years so my heart goes out to you. You will have a moment when the big and strongs have departed when you think, "what have we done?"and if you are anything like me you will survey the chaos and think, "I want to go home." It will pass.

Be happy. x

Interesting one Monna.

Where is home?

For me it was the second home I lived in as a child for 10 years (just around the corner from the first). I never understood why we moved at the time, then as the years passed it became apparent it was a huge mistake.

Many decades later, I don't think I'll ever be able to call anywhere 'home'.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Interesting one Monna.

Where is home?

For me it was the second home I lived in as a child for 10 years (just around the corner from the first). I never understood why we moved at the time, then as the years passed it became apparent it was a huge mistake.

Many decades later, I don't think I'll ever be able to call anywhere 'home'.

I called the town I lived in for 31 years home, until I had been in my present town for about 2 years as by then I was settled and so were my kids.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brilliant news NurseMaggie!

Hmm home? for me either here or Hale, Altrincham - my parents lived in the latter for almost 40 years - I have lived here for the longest time as a permanent resident! (for years I was 6 months here, then 3 months there and so on!)
    Must use my stash up!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news nursemaggie.

Hope you'll be very happy in your new home FPK, once the stresses of moving have gone!
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where is home is a good question. Similar to Monna, by the time I was 23 I'd moved 27 times. That has slowed down in the past decade, with 8 of those years spent in Manchester (in 3 different locations but still, the same city!). But, I do know what Monna means. I spent a good part of my mid to late 20s homesick for a place I couldn't identify. Turns out, home is where you build it. But, I do understand that for many people particular places have a strong tie. OH never seems to feel 'at home' in rented houses, but he grew up his whole life in the same house. It is a funny thing, isn't it?

As I type this some of the neighbors are having another row, this time throwing their crockery out the door. I wonder if we'll get bored on the new road?? :rotfl:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Throwing crockery? :eek:

Home for me is Scotland, I think. I only lived there for a couple of years, so it must be to do with the circumstances and the age I was when we lived there. I feel very comfortable there when we go up to visit friends.
    We moved a lot when OH was in the army, but we've lived in our current house for 33 years - but we both agree it doesn't feel like home to us even after all this time. It's just the house where we live. Strange, after so many years.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I lurk on this thread, usually, as it's so inspiring.

Home, for me, is either the town I grew up in (North Netherlands) or 'England'. Yeah... I'm in Belgium at the moment and have been for 9 years in 3 different houses. I think I'm transnational, you know, similar to transgender: born in the wrong country :D I've lived in England for a few short stints and absolutely loved it.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some good news Nursemaggie, so glad to hear it..

Nowhere is home to me, I've also moved lots more than 15 times and lived in many different places including Lincolnshire, Surrey, London, Bristol, Wokingham and Reading.
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport