Lidl Mattress returns!

Options

Comments

• Thebantamboy
    Options
    Is the mattress as described? It sounds like it's the wrong size for your bed, but that's not a quality issue, it's an erroneous purchase.

The mattress is the right size as it is King size and fits the size of the bed. My bed has lats which are around 7 inch wide with similar sized gaps between them. The firmness on the label is described as 'Medium' and quotes a weight range (presumably of the persons using it). But this mattress doesn't have the 'structure' to it to span the lats without you being able to detect them. I couldn't possibly know this without buying it and trying it.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds more like you having the wrong type of bed base for the mattress than an actual fault with the mattress. Maybe if you had a solid or divan base instead of slatted it would be better.

I still don't quite know what you expected for such a cheap one, I've seen single mattress toppers that cost more than your king size mattress so it was never going to be good.
  • Thebantamboy
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    That sounds more like you having the wrong type of bed base for the mattress than an actual fault with the mattress. Maybe if you had a solid or divan base instead of slatted it would be better.

I still don't quite know what you expected for such a cheap one, I've seen single mattress toppers that cost more than your king size mattress so it was never going to be good.

Regardless of price paid whether £1 or £1,000, I still expect the right to return something if it is not suitable for what I purchased it for. Lidl agree with this but they want me to return it in the original packaging which is not practicable. On 2 occasions their customer service advisers agreed with me that it would be difficult to return in the original packaging and on both occasions, agreed to assist me with the return. Then they went quiet and now, 3 weeks after originally contacting them, they are saying it has to be faulty or back in the bag!!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In mattresses quality is very much linked to price. If it was one of those £75 jobs it was never going to be suitable for much more than use on a guest bed.

Oh, your poor guests! :p
  • Thebantamboy
    Options
    One other point on this, the packaging DOES warn the buyer to check the SIZE as it will not be possible to return it into its original packaging once opened. Nowhere on the label or in the store does it state that this item is exempt from their returns policy. So they are themselves admitting that it can't be put back into the packaging, and yet insisting on it to enable a return - does this sound right to anyone??
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless of price paid whether £1 or £1,000, I still expect the right to return something if it is not suitable for what I purchased it for. Lidl agree with this but they want me to return it in the original packaging which is not practicable. On 2 occasions their customer service advisers agreed with me that it would be difficult to return in the original packaging and on both occasions, agreed to assist me with the return. Then they went quiet and now, 3 weeks after originally contacting them, they are saying it has to be faulty or back in the bag!!

AKA as its simply a case youve changed your mind, you cannot return opened mattresses...
  • Thebantamboy
    Options
    AKA as its simply a case youve changed your mind, you cannot return opened mattresses...

Who says its just a "change of mind" ? Even if it is (which is isn't) Lidl say they are happy to refund me, they acknowledge the repacking issue, but they are dismissing their obligations (which they have accepted) because they don't have an answer to how to put the mattress back into the bag - "that's your problem not ours"
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who says its just a "change of mind" ? Even if it is (which is isn't) Lidl say they are happy to refund me, they acknowledge the repacking issue, but they are dismissing their obligations (which they have accepted) because they don't have an answer to how to put the mattress back into the bag - "that's your problem not ours"

Either it is faulty meaning you do not need to repackage it and can return as is, or at least packed as best possible or it is change of mind.

Everything you have said suggests change of mind, which, as it was bought in store means they have no legal obligation to allow the return at all, they choose to allow a returns policy which is above and beyond what the law says they have to, so they can add whatever terms they want to it. Asking for an item to be in it's original packaging to allow a return you are not legally entitled to is not even close to unreasonable.

You have two options, find a way to get it repackaged and they will refund you or don't find a way and they won't refund you. How you do it is not their problem, it is yours.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Your expectations and your legal rights are two different things. For purchases made in-store the time to check the item's suitability is before you hand over your payment as there is no law which says that you then have any right to demand a refund because you have changed your mind. If you wish to buy an item, take it home and further ponder it's suitability then you need to ask the seller what his returns policy is before you buy. Many sellers will allow you such a returns policy, but many will also disallow returns of specific types of products for hygiene reasons - e.g. Cosmetics, underwear and bedding - or only allow a return if hygiene seals remain intact.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

They don't ask for it in original packaging just for fun, you know. They ask that so they can resell it. How do you suggest they resell the mattress you want to send them?

You bought a cheap mattress and got a cheap mattress. Your position seem to be that Lidl should simply lose out entirely, and you to be put back in the position you started from, despite them having done nothing wrong. Does that really seem fair to you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure