I want cheap internet that I don't need to negotiate annually.

Options
I want a good deal that I don't need to negotiate annually.

Home phone not necessary, but nothing against having one.

so a MAXIMUM rolling cost of £20/ month would be good. Any ideas?
I mostly want it so my home security can upload footage.

Anyone who recommends virgin media - don't. I spent 5 years wrestling with those trickersters. One year they pushed my bill from £20 to £30 then to £35.
Last time they jacked the price from £35 to £65 I saw the bill and finally told them it's over.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    always11 wrote: »
    I want a good deal that I don't need to negotiate annually.

Home phone not necessary, but nothing against having one.

so a MAXIMUM rolling cost of £20/ month would be good. Any ideas?
    I mostly want it so my home security can upload footage.

Anyone who recommends virgin media - don't. I spent 5 years wrestling with those trickersters. One year they pushed my bill from £20 to £30 then to £35.
    Last time they jacked the price from £35 to £65 I saw the bill and finally told them it's over.

Sky ADSL is £25 out of contract, NowTV is £25.99 (12 or 18 months of discount first obviously). I don't think there's much cheaper than that.
  • always11
    Options
    Sky ADSL is £25 out of contract, NowTV is £25.99 (12 or 18 months of discount first obviously). I don't think there's much cheaper than that.

Thanks. Are these fiber or standard line +phone line?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All depends upon the length of contract 12 months to 24 months .
    All will require either negotiate at the end of contract or do not negotiate and pay the new full price
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure cheap and not going up can both be had together. Or maybe cheapish but not the cheapest. Their hope that you will pay the higher out of contract price subsidises the starting price.

For example

You could get plus.net adsl for about £16 a month by prepaying and getting a reward card bonus. After 18 months it becomes £30

Or you could go with Zen and pay £30 for twelve months and the price will not go up afterwards...

If you are rich you could buy yourself a quiet life with zen. Otherwise most people are stuck in this dysfunctional system that rewards the nimble at the cost of the not so.

There is talk of regulations to stop prices going up at the end of a contract but its not clear when this will take place from or which prices it will use as the standard. But the situation may improve next year.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2019 at 3:10PM
    Options
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    rewards the nimble at the cost of the not so.
    Presumably by "the nimble" you mean "those prepared to pull their finger out and shop around"?
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    There is talk of regulations to stop prices going up at the end of a contract
    If such regulations are introduced then prices will increase for everyone to compensate.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    I think you might need to get on board with somebody and then you'll have more haggle power in 12/18/24 months time.

I am currently on a £20pm fibre deal with Plusnet which I bashed out June 2018. Looking at my options on https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com I myself can get effectively '£16.74' a month (this is Shell, £23 a month with £75 credit), 12 month contract. So it can be done Not sure if Shell is a provider on its own or whether its repackaged something else?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    always11 wrote: »
    Thanks. Are these fiber or standard line +phone line?

'Standard', otherwise known as ADSL or copper pair (upto 19Mbps). You're not getting fibre out of contract at those prices.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zen Internet have a £30/month deal where they claim never to raise the price (beyond APR maybe). Not cheap but anything much cheaper is effectively an introductory deal that self evidently will go up sharply at some point.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what you want doesn't exist at the moment! We would all like a reasonable deal that I don't need to negotiate annually!

Investigate TalkTalk and Vodafone, which are the only ones I have heard that come close to this requirement. (but you need to check the detail to see if its still true)
    Both companies have terrible customer service
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    what you want doesn't exist at the moment! We would all like a reasonable deal that I don't need to negotiate annually!

Investigate TalkTalk and Vodafone, which are the only ones I have heard that come close to this requirement. (but you need to check the detail to see if its still true)
    Both companies have terrible customer service

Good shout, I'd forgotten Talktalk's no price rise guarantee, £19.95 for ADSL for 24 months which is the closest the OP is gong to get I think. The OP should note the comment about CS however, they really do have a bad rep if anything goes wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure