Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?
    • 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers? 21st May 13 at 5:31 PM
    "Over half a million O2 and BE broadband and home phone customers are now Sky customers, we break down what this means..."

Read the full story:

Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 4
    • tronator
    • By tronator 6th Jun 13, 10:45 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    tronator
    I got my "free" unlimited broadband for a year by leaving BE for Plusnet. With £4.99 for the first 12 month and £70 cashback from TCB they even pay me for having Broadband. On top of that the line rental saver is even cheaper than BT's.

After one year I will decide again...
  • Ian_C
    Sky trying to force you to switch line provider
    Has anybody else been contacted by Sky to say that as we're being moved over to their broadband, we have to switch to them for our line rental? This is nonsense. The O2 web site specifically says we don't. I contacted Ofcom to complain about this blatant mis-selling and they provided me with a link to the Sky web site which also indicated that you don't have to switch line provider. This is just so typical of a Murdoch run enterprise fleecing gullible customers and just one of the reasons why I'm off elsewhere to get my broadband. Don't be taken in by their sharp practices.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 13th Jun 13, 6:17 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Has anybody else been contacted by Sky to say that as we're being moved over to their broadband, we have to switch to them for our line rental? This is nonsense. The O2 web site specifically says we don't. I contacted Ofcom to complain about this blatant mis-selling and they provided me with a link to the Sky web site which also indicated that you don't have to switch line provider. This is just so typical of a Murdoch run enterprise fleecing gullible customers and just one of the reasons why I'm off elsewhere to get my broadband. Don't be taken in by their sharp practices.
    Originally posted by Ian_C
    Did you have O2 line rental?

Will I have to take everything with Sky i.e. broadband, phone line and calls?

If youíve got an O2 Home Phone, this will move to Skyís network starting later this year. Theyíll give you at least one monthsí notice, plus some more reminders nearer to the transfer day. Theyíll let you know all the details of your new service in advance.

If you donít already have a phone service with us, then you wonít be expected to take Skyís phone service.

You can take Sky Broadband and Talk without Sky TV.
    Sharp practice? Which phone line would you expect them to use? Of course if you don't want their phone line, you need to let them know or cancel and organise something separately. Either way, I'm sure that they won't want to lose you as a customer.
    • joshtbh
    • By joshtbh 17th Jun 13, 8:40 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    joshtbh
    hi all, i'm in a pickle about what to do with regards to this.

According to SamKnows' website, my street is getting fibre in "calendar year 2014", so I don't want to be tied to a big 12+ month contract, does anyone have any recommendations of >6 month contract unlimited broadband providers please?
    • tronator
    • By tronator 18th Jun 13, 9:45 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    tronator
    hi all, i'm in a pickle about what to do with regards to this.

According to SamKnows' website, my street is getting fibre in "calendar year 2014", so I don't want to be tied to a big 12+ month contract, does anyone have any recommendations of >6 month contract unlimited broadband providers please?
    Originally posted by joshtbh
    Do you really think "calendar year 2014" means January 2014?
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 18th Jun 13, 9:47 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    My FTTC cabinet was due to be live Dec 13 it went to accepting orders in April
    • tronator
    • By tronator 18th Jun 13, 11:48 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    tronator
    My FTTC cabinet was due to be live Dec 13 it went to accepting orders in April
    Originally posted by only_mee
    Exactly what I mean. He should go for a 12 month contract and after that he will be on a monthly rolling contract with most providers.

And even if fibre would be available before the minimum contract ends, does the world really end if he has to stay another couple of months without it? There are people in this country who still have no (or very slow) broadband...
    • joshtbh
    • By joshtbh 18th Jun 13, 6:51 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    joshtbh
    Hi, thanks for the tips, no need to be quite so patronising though, of course I didn't think it meant January
  • veganbikenut
    I called Sky recently after getting a carrot on a stick through the post from them, free TV and Broadband for 12months if I jumped the o2 ship now.

I called Sky and said I am interested but I can not move my Tel line to you as I buy BT prepay saver and its just been renewed.

Sky don't want to know based on this and insisted they can only move customers who have a phoneline with them? They told me to call o2 as some customers in my situation would stay with o2, really odd comment.

I called o2 and as usaul get through to a person who talks sense. They siad Autumn sky will move all o2 Phone and BB customers to Sky system, you not obliged to move phone line but it's best to act sooner rather than later if you do not want to do that.

The next wave they will move BB only customers to sky, they may offer another carrot on a stick to get you to move over but again you are not obliged to do so.

The o2 customer advisor told me from his briefing the 2nd wave could take up to 8 months from the autumn to move over.

No rush as far as I am concerned then I am on o2 legacy damn good speeds and paying £9.50 because of the o2 £5 of deal.
    • tronator
    • By tronator 19th Jun 13, 10:29 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    tronator
    I called Sky and said I am interested but I can not move my Tel line to you as I buy BT prepay saver and its just been renewed.

Sky don't want to know based on this and insisted they can only move customers who have a phoneline with them? They told me to call o2 as some customers in my situation would stay with o2, really odd comment.
    Originally posted by veganbikenut
    Just quote from their own website

http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/

"
    Will I have to take Skyís home phone service?

If you donít have an O2 Home Phone or BE landline service currently, you wonít have to take these services with Sky."
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Jun 13, 11:36 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    Just quote from their own website

http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/

"
    Will I have to take Skyís home phone service?

If you donít have an O2 Home Phone or BE landline service currently, you wonít have to take these services with Sky."
    Originally posted by tronator
    They aren't forcing us to move our phoneline to them.

But if you want their free for a year deal on sky tv and bb then they make it a condition that you do switch. Nowt wrong with that.

If you now have o2 landline and don't want to go to sky landline you need to switch elsewhere now.
  • Cadab
    I've just had an email off o2 saying that bt have requested my line to be cancelled!

I've just spoke to BT and they said a company have requested to take over my line, i'm presuming sky, although she wouldnt tell me.

I've got BT line rental that i paid in full for another 5 months, only had the broadband with o2 so not sure why sky would want to transfer my line rental. Rang o2 and they just said as long as the lines up the broadband will stay on, no mention of sky or anything.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
    • Geordie Ahmed
    • By Geordie Ahmed 25th Jun 13, 10:37 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Geordie Ahmed
    I've just had an email off o2 saying that bt have requested my line to be cancelled!

I've just spoke to BT and they said a company have requested to take over my line, i'm presuming sky, although she wouldnt tell me.

I've got BT line rental that i paid in full for another 5 months, only had the broadband with o2 so not sure why sky would want to transfer my line rental. Rang o2 and they just said as long as the lines up the broadband will stay on, no mention of sky or anything.

Originally posted by Cadab
    So they don't know which company or they won't tell you who it is?

You are best calling Sky to see if it is them, if so you should immediately put a halt to it and also complain if somebody has placed an order without your permission/agreement

If it isn't Sky then not sure how you find out who it is
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 25th Jun 13, 11:13 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits

Did you accept the SKY TV package offer?
  • Cadab
    So they don't know which company or they won't tell you who it is?
    Originally posted by Geordie Ahmed
    she wouldnt tell me, I was on live chat so asked a few times and each time the answer was she doesnt know, so not sure either way. Oh and yes i already told them to stop/cancel the transfer.

Did you accept the SKY TV package offer?
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    I didnt accept any thing, unless it auto accepts if you dont get in touch?
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 26th Jun 13, 3:00 PM
    • 19,605 Posts
    • 32,622 Thanks
    StevieJ
    Originally posted by Ian_C
    Not that sharp, they are financing my broadband for the next 12 months
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 26th Jun 13, 3:39 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    she wouldnt tell me, I was on live chat so asked a few times and each time the answer was she doesnt know, so not sure either way. Oh and yes i already told them to stop/cancel the transfer.

I didnt accept any thing, unless it auto accepts if you dont get in touch?
    That's cheeky. Keep us informed. If this is happening on a large scale, it will be high time for a Class Action lawsuit.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 26th Jun 13, 4:33 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Patr100
    That's cheeky. Keep us informed. If this is happening on a large scale, it will be high time for a Class Action lawsuit.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Sure. I bet Sky are quaking in their boots.
    This ain't the USA.
    Last edited by Patr100; 26-06-2013 at 4:37 PM.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 26th Jun 13, 5:39 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Sure. I bet Sky are quaking in their boots.
    This ain't the USA.
    Originally posted by Patr100
    It's under consideration....though it's taking it's time.
    • easymoney999
    • By easymoney999 27th Jun 13, 9:00 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    easymoney999
    Anyone tell me what modem Plusnet use?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,817Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter