Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GotNoRhythm
    Help for Hearing Impairment
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:12 AM
    Help for Hearing Impairment 16th Oct 08 at 1:12 AM
    Hi all,
    I thought I'd set up a thread for people (like me) with hearing impairments I have two CIC hearing aids and can't really hear much at all without them!!

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any sort of equipment that I can use in conjunction with (or in place of) my alarm clock. I've reached a point now where I can't hear it unless I sleep with one of my hearing aids in - not ideal!!

I got funding for my hearing aids through access to work. Would this be a good place to try? (Do they still exist??! It's about 5 years since I last spoke to them!) The little company that supplied my hearing aids were wonderful but sadly don't exist anymore, and I don't like the company that bought them out (plus it's about 45 miles away from where I live)

Many thanks,
    GNR xx
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Page 2
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 19th Oct 08, 3:52 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    yep - I can only just....
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 19th Oct 08, 7:52 PM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I can't afford most of the RNID and Connevans kit and there are things that would be useful.
    Originally posted by rosieben
    If it's a personal listener you are after, did you look at the RNID's Sonido? Only just over 60 if you don't have to pay the VAT. Currently out of stock, I hope they are bringing it back again. Having lost my hearing aid I am thinking I can probably 'get by' with one of these ... until I have to confess!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • rosieben
    ... Having lost my hearing aid I am thinking I can probably 'get by' with one of these ... until I have to confess!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    lost your hearing aid? the audiologist gave me a real telling off when I mentioned that I was buying hearing aid batteries (its part of your prescription!) so I'd be real scared if I had to confess to losing my hearing aid

Thanks for the info re Sonido, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by rosieben; 19-10-2008 at 9:37 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 20th Oct 08, 12:56 AM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I know, I'm going to be in deep mire ... I'm not sure if it's worse to just 'lose' it, or let the dog chew it. :confused: Not that I have a dog.

It's not even as if it came off when I took my jumper off: someone in my lipreading class had lost two that way! He thinks they came off on a plane, and he didn't realise until he was OFF the plane and they wouldn't let him go back on to look for them.

It just jumped out of my pocket in its box and vanished!

I keep hoping it will turn up under the settee or something like that. Probably when I'm looking for something else.

Of course, the moral of this story is MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS IN YOUR HEARING AID BOX (pardon me for shouting). Ideally, put your postcode on the hearing aid itself! I kept thinking I should do that ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • sandraroffey
    • By sandraroffey 20th Oct 08, 5:31 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    sandraroffey
    got all my aids free through the local hearing dept at the hospital, docs referral of course, and equipment all free through the social services who deal with deaf people. special door bell that vibrates on the belt, really loud clanger for the phone, . although i have to say that the only thing that works instead of an alarm clock for me, is to put the mobile phone on vibrate and put it under my pillow!!!
    • sandraroffey
    • By sandraroffey 20th Oct 08, 5:33 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    sandraroffey
    and yes the batteries are free as well. from the audiology clinic or your docs surgery.xxx

has anyone applied rfor DLA because of hearing troubles?? took a while but i got it although for some reason they dont seem to include deafness as a disability, along side other disabilites. really had to fight for it but thanks to the CAB, they had to pay.
    • lozzer90
    • By lozzer90 20th Oct 08, 9:54 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    lozzer90
    and yes the batteries are free as well. from the audiology clinic or your docs surgery.xxx

has anyone applied rfor DLA because of hearing troubles?? took a while but i got it although for some reason they dont seem to include deafness as a disability, along side other disabilites. really had to fight for it but thanks to the CAB, they had to pay.
    Originally posted by sandraroffey

I couldnt get DLA for my hearing loss, but got it for my other disabilites, dont know why they dont count hearing loss as a disability i only lost my 4years ago due to a freak accident
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with.

• rosieben
    I couldnt get DLA for my hearing loss, but got it for my other disabilites, dont know why they dont count hearing loss as a disability i only lost my 4years ago due to a freak accident
    Originally posted by lozzer90
    I lost my hearing about 8 years ago because of a viral infection; its a big adjustment and I still have moments of frustration and anger ( tears when I couldn't hear last night of the proms ).

I don't think I'd get DLA but I may look into it. It would help to buy equipment that would make life easier.

• altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 20th Oct 08, 1:20 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    i'm always amazed at how much some of things we need cost!!!

yes, some are available from 'free' sources, but not always suitable...
  • GotNoRhythm
    I agree with altocumulus - some of the stuff is so expensive! Definitiely worth asking about to see if you can get funding or help towards it!
    Does anyone know if I can get free batteries for my hearing aids funded through access to work? Do the NHS only supply certain types of battery? Mine are the tiny 10ZA size.
    I must admit, I have let my NHS audiology appointments lapse (I haven't been for a few years as I've been going to my hearing aid supplier instead - naughty, I know!) I just wondered if it would be worth asking, as I really should have regular appointments again!
  • GotNoRhythm

the 60's ....... oh yes, I was there - even if I cant remember much of it

I'm a 70's babe - I'll admit to flares and tank-tops - oh, and an 80's poodle perm... thankfully I've left those years behind me now!
    Last edited by GotNoRhythm; 20-10-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 08, 1:24 AM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Does anyone know if I can get free batteries for my hearing aids funded through access to work? Do the NHS only supply certain types of battery? Mine are the tiny 10ZA size.
    I must admit, I have let my NHS audiology appointments lapse (I haven't been for a few years as I've been going to my hearing aid supplier instead - naughty, I know!) I just wondered if it would be worth asking, as I really should have regular appointments again!
    Originally posted by GotNoRhythm
    I don't know if batteries can be supplied through Access to Work, but AFAIK the NHS would provide batteries for ANY NHS aid. But IIRC yours aren't NHS ones, are they? So, only way to find out is to ask.

However, if you think you're in need of another audiology appointment, get yourself back in the system!

As for DLA and hearing impairment, you'd have to be able to demonstrate that there were things you couldn't do unaided, I think. Now, obviously we all 'cope' with daily life to a greater or lesser degree. Suddenly losing it like rosieben did must be far more difficult than the gradual creeping up that I suffer from - it runs in the family! There are things I choose NOT to do - no point going to large social gatherings with dimmed lights and loud music, for example. But there's nothing I CAN'T do in my daily life.

If you had help from someone like Welfare Rights with the DLA form, they'd help you make clear what you were unable to do. One thing which can go with deafness is balance problems, so if that affects daily activities that's relevant.

DLA is rarely a tick box exercise, though, so 'just' being deaf isn't enough! But I don't even think that being severely sight impaired is enough, on its own, either ...
    Still knitting!
  • rosieben
    ... As for DLA and hearing impairment, you'd have to be able to demonstrate that there were things you couldn't do unaided, I think. Now, obviously we all 'cope' with daily life to a greater or lesser degree.
    Yes I thought that would be the case. I can mostly do things myself, only needed my sis to be here when I had builders, plumbers etc to deal with just in case I misheard anything .

I shall approach SS and see if they could help with cost of equipment or loan of equipment and I'll be more than happy with that.

Just one point, after years of frustration with not being able to record subtitles on a tv programme - I tried the telemole and found it not much use, I was saving up for a special vcr which recorded analogue subtitles but they took it off the market! I've just had freesat installed and its great to be able to record programmes with subtitles
    Last edited by rosieben; 21-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 08, 1:15 PM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Just one point, after years of frustration with not being able to record subtitles on a tv programme - I tried the telemole and found it not much use, I was saving up for a special vcr which recorded analogue subtitles but they took it off the market! I've just had freesat installed and its great to be able to record programmes with subtitles
    Oh good, we've got a Freeview box but haven't managed to record anything at all from it, with or without subtitles! Fortunately it's not yet an issue, although sometimes I'd use them. Sometimes I'd like to rewind them, IYSWIM. "What did he just say?" I ask DH. "Dunno", says he, "didn't catch it."
    Still knitting!
    • bluedog
    • By bluedog 21st Oct 08, 3:56 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    bluedog
    I lost my analogue hearing aid a good few years ago and when I eventually fessed up to it, I was charged about 45 for it's replacement. I dropped that one down the loo once too, but fortunately, the water was clean and it worked ok once I let it dry out.

I now have 2 digital aids which I'm told are worth about 1K each ........ I am now very very careful about what I do with them!
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 21st Oct 08, 4:55 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus

DLA is rarely a tick box exercise, though, so 'just' being deaf isn't enough! But I don't even think that being severely sight impaired is enough, on its own, either ...
    Ah...but depending on that severity they can get the TV licence reduced...

Although looking logically, I pay my licence for the laughs I get watching live TV with live sub-titles.....
  • rosieben
    Although looking logically, I pay my licence for the laughs I get watching live TV with live sub-titles.....
    Originally posted by altocumulus
    gives people some very interesting names sometimes

• lozzer90
    • By lozzer90 21st Oct 08, 9:10 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    lozzer90
    Oh good, we've got a Freeview box but haven't managed to record anything at all from it, with or without subtitles! Fortunately it's not yet an issue, although sometimes I'd use them. Sometimes I'd like to rewind them, IYSWIM. "What did he just say?" I ask DH. "Dunno", says he, "didn't catch it."

Have you tried to get a T Loop system fitted to your TV, Disability Solutions fitted me one for free, its great

• SmileyS
    Deaf Child---Any help??
    What a fab thread!

May I jump in with a question ?

My little boy is hearing impaired,he has an over 70% loss and hearing aids made no differance what so ever.He is on the Looonnnnggggg waiting list for a BAHA but still won't sleep in it.
    Our smoke alarm went off the other night (for no reason thankfully!) and he didn't even stir,I'm pretty scared that if god forbid there was a fire and we couldn't get to him he would sleep through it

Anyone know where I can get a vibrating alarm for a child? Or any other pointers on things to get him would be much appreciated

SS x
    • lozzer90
    • By lozzer90 21st Oct 08, 9:57 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    lozzer90
    What a fab thread!

May I jump in with a question ?

My little boy is hearing impaired,he has an over 70% loss and hearing aids made no differance what so ever.He is on the Looonnnnggggg waiting list for a BAHA but still won't sleep in it.
    Our smoke alarm went off the other night (for no reason thankfully!) and he didn't even stir,I'm pretty scared that if god forbid there was a fire and we couldn't get to him he would sleep through it

Anyone know where I can get a vibrating alarm for a child? Or any other pointers on things to get him would be much appreciated

SS x
    Originally posted by SmileyS
    Hi
    I got a vibrating alarm from disability solution its a clock which has a pad connected which goes under the pillow also i know some of the clocks have a bleeper that you carry around which can be connected to the smoke alarm & when it goes off it vibrates. If you've not got a DS near you ring the fire station & see if they can offer you anything

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

908Posts Today

7,640Users online

Martin's Twitter