Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Help for Hearing Impairment - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Help for Hearing Impairment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
1.3K replies 222.3K views

Replies

• allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Errata wrote: »

Right.........$64,000 question. Who knows which mobile phone has a built in induction loop ?

The Emporia Life mobile telephone T389 has. Details from the RNID shop:

http://www.rnid.org.uk/shop/products/mobile_phone_accessories/emporia_life_mobile_telephone.htm

http://www.rnid.org.uk/shop/products/mobile_phone_accessories/emporia_life_mobile_telephone.htm?questionAndAnswers=true
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £2000
    Free Running Challenge: 17/30
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Whilst out with my dog I slipped and banged my head the outcome of which was major hearing loss in both ears.I visited my G.P. who arranged for me to visit the audiology dept at my local hospital after a hearing test and examination by a consultant I was told my loss was permenant and I would be fitted up with hearing aids both digital (would cost to buy over £1000 each to buy)
    they are serviced every six month and I get as many free batteries as I need.They also arranged for a visit from social services The outcome of which My house was wired upwith smoke alarms which are connected to a vibrating pad under my pillow and bright blue flashing strobe lights they also fitted a loop system to my T.V. a front doorbell with strobes, and a telephone also with strobes,all for free. The first port of call is your Doctor.
  • Hi all,
    Just a quick question (I hope!) - who does the cheapest hearing-aid batteries? Is it Boots and their 3 for 2 offers, or can anyone trump that?
    Cheers!
    GNR
    x
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • hifromi wrote: »
    Hi, I am a new user so not quite sure what I am doing:confused: but this is a great thread, so glad you started it, it was badly needed:j I did see a vibrating alarm clock to put under the pillow in TK Maxx today, I think it was only £4.99 or thereabouts. Of course it is the luck of the draw in there as to whether they have any! The fire brigade were visiting the houses in my area, (north east) to install smoke alarms etc. They said they gave out vibrating alarms for under the pillow too, but mostly if you lived or slept alone as they were more expensive.
    I also would like to point out that if you wear a hearing aid you can apply for a disabled rail card which entitles you AND any one travelling with you to 1/3rd off most fares. The card costs £18 (it might have gone up a bit since I renewed mine in July) I only had to send my brown book with the payment to get it. You can get an application for at any station or apply online. Hope this helps someone.
    P.S. I am having a bit of trouble working out the abreviations, but I guess I will get used to them:rotfl:

Hi, hifromi,
    Welcome to our friendly little thread! Don't worry about the abbreviations - if you get really stuck there are some good posts on the forum pages which explain them (I'm no expert either - I just ignore the ones I don't understand :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:)
    GNR
    x
  • allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Just a quick question (I hope!) - who does the cheapest hearing-aid batteries? Is it Boots and their 3 for 2 offers, or can anyone trump that?
    Cheers!
    GNR
    x

The cheapest would be 0p from the hospital! ;)

Failing that try:

Half Price Hearing Aid Batteries
    http://www.halfpricebatteries.co.uk/default.asp?orig=ga

Click Hearing
    https://clickhearing.econduit.co.uk/acatalog/index.html?gclid=CK7UreWEw5YCFQJKtAodPUwtyg

Direct Hearing
    http://www.directhearing.co.uk/batteries.htm

Depends on what you need.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £2000
    Free Running Challenge: 17/30
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thanks Allydowd, I had no idea these websites existed!
    Not sure I can get my batteries from NHS/Doctors as my hearing aids are through a private company (even though Access to Work paid for them) - I'll have to check it out!
  • hiphousehiphouse Forumite
    596 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I've just found this thread - interesting reading! I'd be interested to know what a CIC hearing aid is, is it something to do with a cochlear implant?

I was born with a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. I didn't get hearing aids until I was 5 years old :eek: I got digital hearing aids four years ago that changed my life - I've heard sounds I've never heard before, like twigs snapping, leafs rustling, water splashing, birds singing... all a bit overwhelming, but fantastic :D

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass? I've got the railcard which has been brilliant - once you have applied the annual updates are automatic, what I mean is you don't have to re-apply every year as they expect that once you're deaf you're not going to regain hearing again.

If I can help anyone else I'll try to respond. Thanks to the original poster to this thread. Thanks too for the BSL links.

Hiphouse
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hiphouse wrote: »
    Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass?...

I applied for mine last year; I had to include a supporting letter from my Dr (I had to explain to her what it was about!) which I paid, I think, £23 for. I sent off the form and letter and had the card back within a couple of weeks. :j
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • boglinboglin Forumite
    430 posts
    jodie114 wrote: »
    Just thought i would join in if thats alright. This is all pretty new to me, i have ok hearing in one ear, but use an nhs aid in the other.
    - It can be bliss though when you have a moaning 5yo, you can totally switch off!!

Hi - my first post on this forum! I too have significant hearing loss in one ear but normal hearing in the other. I lost my hearing as the result of a virus and also have tinnitus in that ear. One bonus of deafness in one ear is that if your OH snores then you can lie on the hearing side and not have to hear the snoring! :rotfl:

My hearing has worsened over the last year and I thought that maybe there was nothing to be done, if the aid couldn't improve the quality as well as the volume of sound. My GP referred me for a reassessment and I'm so glad that I had this done as I now have a different aid, more powerful, which the audiologist spent ages programming to get the hearing in my left ear as good as possible. It is clearer now but I am still going through the readjustment phase of jumping when someone makes any sort of unexpected noise (even putting a cup on the table) near that ear!

I haven't really explored the use of gadgets but do find using a cordless phone at work really good as it means I can hold the handset in my left hand to my right ear and still be able to jot down notes (without getting tangled up in the cable!)
  • lozzer90lozzer90 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    hiphouse wrote: »

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass?

I got a form from my local council which i took to the doctors to sign,(free of charge) I took it back to the council & got my bus pass.
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with. :D