PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I haven't spent any shopping money this year yet - can I be put down for £100 for January - just two of us plus a dog. I don't know how to put colour on the £100.

To colour and enlarge, click on go advanced, which is just under your message, then the colours and sizes are above your message. Just highlight and change, as you would in word. HTH
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi and Happy New year!

33 pages before I even found the thread!! I may be some time in catching up...

Thank you to Zippy, Rosieben and Helen Jelly for running the thread and please can I go for £380 again for January.
    This year I will try and keep within this figure instead of slightly going over each month. I'm going to tighten up on junk, and start a little fund for next December (£2 coins or stamps I think) to mop up the inevitable Christmas overspend.
    Also one new recipe from the front page per week for the next few weeks and we'll see how it goes.

Good luck for January everybody.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I haven't spent any shopping money this year yet - can I be put down for £100 for January - just two of us plus a dog. I don't know how to put colour on the £100.

Hi Florence - 2 ways to do this....

If you're using the "post quick reply" box at the bottom of the page, click the "go advanced" button and it'll take you to a different style of box where there are options at the top to chance the colour, font size, bold, italics etc

or if you click on "Post Reply" (just above the quick reply box on the left hand of the page) - this will take you to the box mentioned above straight away.

HTH:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone went to Ald! yesterday and stocked up on Lurpak only £1.99 for a 500g tub spent £18.79 in total.

that's me left with £334.10 don't think i will be going anywhere today it is wild here really high winds.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    morning all
    had a nice run of NSDs since new years eve hoping to not go in a shop untill saturday if i can manage it
    yesterday made soup, just added all the veggies left from new years dinner to 1 pint of stock and 1 pint of milk seanoned and blended when it was thouroughly reheated it was lovley with toast
    will probally do risotto tonight and cheese on toast at lunch
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • ClaireT13
    ClaireT13 Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone

We "had" :rotfl: to go to IKEA yesterday. We obviously had to eat there as it's my childrens favourite place to eat in the world. I'm not counting this in the budget as we budget for eating out seperately.

We did, however, "have" to buy some meatballs and apple cake to take home and living 70 miles away from IKEA, I had to buy 2 of everything to make it more economical ;)

So spends for today of £15.90:eek:. I have already meal planned for the wholee month so these will be knocking about the freezer for a couple of months so hopefully I will be able to spend a bit less next month.

That leaves £113.68 for the rest of the month. Should be doable if I can keep it to perishables and milk.

Hoping for a NSD obviously!!

Good luck everyone!
    Declutter challenge - 81/1500 (5.4%)
    Make £2,021 in 2021 - £148.95/£2,021 (7.3%)
  • JamesKirstyLou
    Options
    Hi :) Can I join again please, we have loads of food in at the minute so am hoping for a low spend this month £100 This is for 2 adults, a toddler, 2 dogs and 2 cats. Not sure whether to include the pet food / litter in this yet we shall see how we get on!
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ... Anyone have any tips of how to curb the spending???

Hi and welcome oliviarosejackson,

Check out post number #345 of this thread for some tips for all newbies.

See you later,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just found a panasonic breadmaker on amazon for £115.60, It's the
    Panasonic SD-2501WXC model. Is this a good deal? Should I hold out for a better deal? ... Thanks in advance for any replies.
    PG x

Hi PG,

It's cheaper at Pixmania but there is a £6 delivery charge. However, if you go through Quidco for it you'll get 6% cashback (probably 6.06% at topcashback). Alternatively if you want to buy from Amazon remember to register with and go through the nectar site to get points on your purchase. ;)

HTH,
    Spigs

PS I am looking for the stainless steel one that's how I know!
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Haven`t been on here for months, so hoping for a brand new start, being a new year and all that.
    So please could I be put down for
    £400
    I know this is a heck of a lot, compared with alot of you, but starting fresh again. I want to start off slowly, not too sure how low I will go, only time will tell.
    New years day was a NSD as mum cooked (too much!) and yesterday, spent £15.68. I`ve also started to keep all receipts and write down in a A4 pad, what we brought, where from and how much, hoping to compare prices, over the next few months, to get the best deals, but know this will be a mean feat, as prices still going up.
    Large T**co near us, so will proberly do most of the shopping there, but may venture to the other stores, like A**A, MrS, now and again, as these are approx 5-10 miles away so, not too sure if running around these stores all the time and using petrol, would be a wise move.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills