PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello Caronc

I only have to look downwards, and not see my feet, for the incentive to stick at it....;)

I've got a bag of "my size" clothes to one side - to try at intervals to see if I fit back into them yet. So they're labelled sizes 14-16 (which means these days they'd be labelled size 10-12). I know I don't yet and have given way to far too much temptation to "not bother". I did get into the size 16 (would now be labelled size 12) bikini for my sauna session - but was just very slightly "busting out" of the top:o.

Been good - had that chickpea with tahini sauce etc recipe thing for dinner and it wasnt bad (but a bit lemony - even for my lemon-loving tastebuds). The "being good" was I didn't put any "filler food" with it - as it felt like it was enough. Though I did finish with some coconut yogurt with mixed frozen fruit/little apple sugar (ie blitzed dried apple)/cacao nibs/being virtuous I grated some nutmeg on and sprinkled with cinnamon.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 8:32PM
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    If cooking for 2 is what works for you, then carry on and serve yours up on a plate, and the second portion straight into a dish that can be frozen and nuked. If you don't have the dishes from takeaways handy, £1land , Tesco, b&m etc all sell them. Cook once, eat twice :)

On that front - you've reminded me that I've just seen there seems to be an alternative to the plastic ziplock bags I find so handy - but they're plastic arent they?:(

Must google and see what I make of "Burst Colour" self-sealing non-plastic bags. They're re-usable silicone food bags. Am guessing that's better than plastic bags? Still struggling to find an equivalent for the way I tend to cut my home-made loaves in 2 and freeze them in halves in those ziplock bags (but they're plastic:(). My head hurts...

Was good and bought loose bananas instead of plastic-wrapped yesterday in the supermarket and then noticed a man next to me picking up a bunch of loose bananas and putting them in a plastic bag - so he'd just "cancelled" me out hadnt he:cool:.

Milk in glass bottles is coming back here - and am keeping my eye out to see if that gets extended to the organic milk I buy (which I have only spotted in plastic containers for some time).

Community pressure is building round here to go on "beach cleans" at intervals - and, for once, I agree with said "pressure" and must "be good" and join some more after my token effort recently to "show willing".

EDIT; Quick look at Amazon (yes....I know....) and that brand isn't there. There is a brand called "Stasher". Has anyone used them yet?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On that front - you've reminded me that I've just seen there seems to be an alternative to the plastic ziplock bags I find so handy - but they're plastic arent they?:(

Must google and see what I make of "Burst Colour" self-sealing non-plastic bags. They're re-usable silicone food bags. Am guessing that's better than plastic bags? Still struggling to find an equivalent for the way I tend to cut my home-made loaves in 2 and freeze them in halves in those ziplock bags (but they're plastic:(). My head hurts...

Was good and bought loose bananas instead of plastic-wrapped yesterday in the supermarket and then noticed a man next to me picking up a bunch of loose bananas and putting them in a plastic bag - so he'd just "cancelled" me out hadnt he:cool:.

Milk in glass bottles is coming back here - and am keeping my eye out to see if that gets extended to the organic milk I buy (which I have only spotted in plastic containers for some time).

Community pressure is building round here to go on "beach cleans" at intervals - and, for once, I agree with said "pressure" and must "be good" and join some more after my token effort recently to "show willing".

EDIT; Quick look at Amazon (yes....I know....) and that brand isn't there. There is a brand called "Stasher". Has anyone used them yet?
    Just a thought could you freeze things in the bags they sell for food waste caddies (made from cornstarch), not sure that's viable or not but could be worth a go for dry things? Otherwise what about "old fashioned" brown paper for your loaves? Pyrex make a range of storage boxes, they do have plastic lids but that's it and they last for ever. I've no idea if silicone is more environmentally friendly than plastic but it does last much longer before needing replacing so that must be a plus surely?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those silicone bags don't decompose either so when they end up in landfill, they will be there longer then we will have been on this earth ourselves

I use the tubs from takeaways until they are no longer fit for purpose. Yes it's plastic but it's been produced and used, and I keep re using. Same as my bread bags, I buy bread, it's wrapped in plastic, I can't avoid that, so the bags are reused as lunch bags till they get too manky, then I used to wrap mucky waste destined for the bin

Irene, think about different veg for salad. I really couldn't be doing with salad veg because it goes mank before I get to eat it. So my salads will be shredded sweetheart cabbage tossed in a dressing, dill pickles instead of cucumbers, red onion instead of scallions, pickled walnuts ( cos I love the sweetness) roasted red peppers from a jar or those lovely tiny ones stuffed with cream cheese, baby spinach, nuts and fresh or dried fruit. Lettuce and celery is food of the devil as far as I'm concerned,tasteless pap. If anything is going to stop me dieting or trying to eat healthy, being served a plate of that day in day out will do it. Least with cabbage and spinach, you can cook it when fed up with raw. Oh and I love the red cabbage you can buy in jars. Not the vinegar stuff, but the polish ones. Lovely
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Why do things break after sales have finished?

I really need to look out for a new toaster. The current one cost me about £5 about five years ago, so it's not done too badly.

I won't rush to get the next one - this one still works, it's just that when you put a slice in it and press the button to lower it down, the bread rests on a strip of metal that lowers - and one side of that strip of metal's not moving. I can poke it up or down with a fork (yes, unplugged) .... but that's not made it "work again by magic".

So, for now, I'll just accept that when toasting bread I have to watch it and might have to poke it about a bit before I turn it on.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    The problem I have with takeaway boxes is that for most items they're too big for a portion. Ideally, for freezing portions of anything, I'd prefer a selection of half-sized boxes or 2/3rds-sized boxes. I use mugs and old marg tubs, lined with freezer bags, for a lot of freezing, so I can get the size I want frozen in the smallest bag possible so the most variety fits in the freezer.

But, how big a portion needs to be also varies depending on what it's to be served with, which is decided at the point of eating it, not the point of trying to freeze it ... which is annoying when what you've got frozen's the "wrong size but it'll have to do".
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello Suki

Thank you; I do over-cook quantities, and end up having it 2 days running, or, bigger portions... I don't mind this, but, freezing is definitely something I am doing now.

It's the salad stuff that gets me most, like, trying to eat a whole lettuce or cucumber before they go limp/wizened up. Even eating it almost every day (which I don't fancy as much this weather).

I'll have to delve around the interweb to see if there is a better way to keep these lasting longer, or, forgo them, or find an alternative....

I used to do some veg/salad growing with OH, but that kind of fell by the wayside. I do recall using cut and come again salad leaves in a pot, so the rest could keep growing and I could take what I needed, but that's when summer is actually here.. Must get brain in gear!

Lydl do a pack of trio Salad lettuce with roots £1 if potted up or just in kept in water gives cut and come again leaves for weeks. I find one of those green veggie bags poundland keeps a cucumber for about a month. lol I do resent paying winter prices for salad and cant wait to start sowing seeds for summer crops. My whole summers supply of tomatoes only cost 20p for seeds last year and I swopped a couple of plants for a cucumber and sweet pepper plant.
    Slimming World at target
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning All,
    caronc wrote: »
    Meal plan done for the week and another couple of new recipes planned both of which use stuff I already have in so I'm happy with that. Tonight I've decided the weather shout "beef stew" and might make a dumpling to have with it (though I suspect that may be shelved under CBA:o).
    Meals planned so far are:
    Tonight - beef stew,
    Monday- braised red cabbage with bratwurst sausages
    Tuesday- spiced chicken with lentils
    Wednesday - pork chop with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and spuds
    Thursday - spag bol
    Friday - cullen skink
    Saturday - tbc (my son is up so will see what he is doing/wants to eat- with a bit of luck he'll volunteer to cook
    Sunday - Rib roast of beef, cauli cheese, mash, yourkshires, carrots/peas and gravy. Lemon tart with berries & cream for pud

I had a wee giggle to myself when I read this and thought you must be reading my mind either that or great minds think alike :D

I sat yesterday drawing up my menu plan and searching for recipes and because I've been using a lot of potatoes lately I thought about a dish using lentils and found this one https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2838669/chicken-with-mustard-lentils but decided I'll use some of the gammon I cooked this weekend instead of the chicken.

The rest of the week goes like this
    Mon - B - Prunes and greek yoghurt.
    L - Cold Meat, Celeriac Remoulade, cucumber & tomato
    D - Leek and stilton tart, baby spinach & beetroot
    Tues - Gammon and mustardy lentils
    Wed - Turkey and quinoa loaf, baked celeriac and steamed cabbage
    Thurs - Piri-piri fish, noodles
    Fri - Sweet & Sour Pork, rice
    Sat - Chicken Plate Pie, green& broad beans
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning All,

I had a wee giggle to myself when I read this and thought you must be reading my mind either that or great minds think alike :D

I sat yesterday drawing up my menu plan and searching for recipes and because I've been using a lot of potatoes lately I thought about a dish using lentils and found this one https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2838669/chicken-with-mustard-lentils but decided I'll use some of the gammon I cooked this weekend instead of the chicken.

The rest of the week goes like this
    Mon - B - Prunes and greek yoghurt.
    L - Cold Meat, Celeriac Remoulade, cucumber & tomato
    D - Leek and stilton tart, baby spinach & beetroot
    Tues - Gammon and mustardy lentils
    Wed - Turkey and quinoa loaf, baked celeriac and steamed cabbage
    Thurs - Piri-piri fish, noodles
    Fri - Sweet & Sour Pork, rice
    Sat - Chicken Plate Pie, green& broad beans

:rotfl::rotfl:Great minds and all that. Lovely sounding menu N2bt:D. I'm making this one from Delia's "Frugal Food" bookhttps://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-recipes/spiced-chicken-with-lentils .
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm back from the GP and my cholesterol is really high. I shouldn't have high cholesterol as a vegan. It has worried me a bit as my Mum had a heart attack quite young, when she was about 50.

I said I didn't want to take statins yet. My GP (slim and fit looking) said his cholesterol is higher than mine and he keeps trying to get it down lower!:p

I'm going to try and lower that by eating foods like apples, green tea, lentils etc... and get it retested in the summer.

I was just looking online and saw a nice "recipe" just making some cooked lentils and adding olive oil, lemon, salt, black pepper, garlic and herbs and then leaving it to meld together and spread it on crackers. I will have that later.:)

I just had toast as usual for breakfast with Rooibos tea and an apple.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback