Have you ever moved an ISA?

Options
From September 2018 I hold £3000 cash ISA with Nationwide and would like to transfer it to a Vanguard ISA which I understand can take between 15 and 30 days.

Vanguard do not charge for this but it says Nationwide might charge.

Have any of you ever moved an ISA, were you charged and if so was it a set fee or a % of the ISA amount?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I transferred a Halifax S&S ISA to Interactive Investor. There was a fee for selling the funds but not for the transfer afaicr
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have moved an ISA, but never been charged for the move or anything else connected to it.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nationwide won't charge you for the outbound ISA transfer however if you are in a fixed term product (such as a 3 year fixed rate) there may be an early exit penalty.
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I transferred a Halifax S&S ISA to Interactive Investor. There was a fee for selling the funds but not for the transfer afaicr

Halifax Share Dealing would charge £25 per investment (up to £125) for in-specie transfer out.

Alex
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use CSD, they have a £10 fee.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bluenun wrote: »
    From September 2018 I hold £3000 cash ISA with Nationwide and would like to transfer it to a Vanguard ISA which I understand can take between 15 and 30 days.
    Vanguard do not charge for this but it says Nationwide might charge.
    Have any of you ever moved an ISA, were you charged and if so was it a set fee or a % of the ISA amount?
    The time required will depend principally upon the "new" ISA organisation (Vanguard in your case). It's up to them to initiate the transfer from the "old" ISA and to process the incoming funds. Nationwide appear to have a well-organised operation for processing outgoing transfers. During the past two years, I've done five ISA transfers from my Nationwide Flexclusive ISA account to my IWeb S&S ISA account (actually double that as my partner asked for the same transfer process in parallel.) I've kept a log of the dates for each stage of each of those transfers (in working days excluding weekends & public holidays):

1. Post (first class post) transfer request to IWeb to funds being debited from NW ISA account: 4d / 5d / 5d / 4d / 4d

2. Funds credited to IWeb ISA account (as uncleared funds): 3d / 6d / 4d / 4d / 2d

3. Cleared funds available in IWeb ISA account for stock purchase: 3d / 2d / 2d / 2d / 2d

So, once you allow for weekends, the whole process should be completed within two, possibly three, weeks. If Vanguard are quoting 15 to 30 days, then the time required will likely be at the 15 days end rather than 30, unless Vanguard are poorly organised. You can monitor the process by watching your Nationwide account for the funds being debited.

Finally, possible Nationwide charges: check the T&Cs for your account. If the account is an instant access account such as the Flexclusive ISA, there will be no charge. If you were transferring from a non-cash ISA, such as a S&S ISA, then you are much more likely to face a charge - for example, check what Vanguard would charge when you eventually want to close or transfer out to a different ISA supplier.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I have moved Nationwide Cash ISA money to Vanguard. It was a postal affair. You can download transfer forms and send them back via post. This raises questions as to whether the returned forms were genuine requests from the real account holder or opportunists trying to steal your ISA.
    Expect more confirmation letters plus buy some first class stamps to speed the process.
    J_B.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Joe_Bloggs wrote: »
    I have moved Nationwide Cash ISA money to Vanguard. It was a postal affair. You can download transfer forms and send them back via post. This raises questions as to whether the returned forms were genuine requests from the real account holder or opportunists trying to steal your ISA.
    Expect more confirmation letters plus buy some first class stamps to speed the process.
    J_B.

Unlikely, the receiving ISA will be held in the same name and with the same personal details.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Keep pedalling wrote:-
    Unlikely, the receiving ISA will be held in the same name and with the same personal details.

I had no prior account with Vanguard so there were was no existing ISA to receive with this transfer.
    J_B.
  • bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank-you all for the very helpful and detailed replies, much appreciated.

To clarify, my Nationwide ISA is called "Flexclusive ISA issue 17" which I understand is an instant access cash ISA and not a fixed term.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes that is easy access so there will be no penalty for Vanguard to transfer it into their S&S ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure