Have you ever moved an ISA?

Options

Comments

• bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see my funds are available now to invest.

As I have not bought funds before, is it best for me to "Make a purchase at any time using the next available price." or should I wait until 8am when the markets are open "Make a purchase during market hours, Monday to Friday 08:00–16:30.
    You can only buy live using ISA cash".

Maybe there is no right answer and it maybe impossible to know but I thought I would ask those with experience before deciding.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What in particular are you investing into?
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • bluenun
    Options
    I was thinking of investing 2000 into the LifeStrategy® 80% Equity Fund and 100 into the U.S. Equity Index Fund.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Those are funds, so they only price once per day. You need to check when the cut-off is for placing deals and ensure you place your deal before the cut-off to get a particular valuation point.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bluenun wrote: »
    I was thinking of investing 2000 into the LifeStrategy® 80% Equity Fund and 100 into the U.S. Equity Index Fund.
    Assuming that's a typo and you're looking at 1000 into US equities (or even if not tbh), what's your thinking behind this allocation?

Most investors with a small pot would be best served by sticking to one global multi-asset fund rather than augmenting it with a more localised product that gives a significantly higher weighting to the US. That's not to say that this is always the 'right' answer but your approach might make more sense if there was a clear rationale for its selection....
  • bluenun
    Options
    Thank-you both for the replies.

Yes it was a typo, I have 3000 in total.
    As you have gathered I am inexperienced in this field :)

I wanted to invest in stocks and shares and with such a small starting balance funds appear to be what I am looking for.
    I thought with the uncertainty about what will happen to the FTSE regarding Brexit I would put 1/3 into the US equity index fund.

Maybe it is wiser for me to put 100% into the LifeStrategy® 80% Equity Fund as it includes stocks and Indices from many countries.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    So you have £3000 exclusively in Total (oil and Gas presumably). A diversification with future investments/dividends would be beneficial
    J_B.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bluenun wrote: »
    I wanted to invest in stocks and shares and with such a small starting balance funds appear to be what I am looking for.
    I thought with the uncertainty about what will happen to the FTSE regarding Brexit I would put 1/3 into the US equity index fund.

Maybe it is wiser for me to put 100% into the LifeStrategy® 80% Equity Fund as it includes stocks and Indices from many countries.
    I'm sure nobody would try to dissuade you away from collective investments such as funds, but it would make sense for you to research the breakdown of the underlying holdings within LifeStrategy both to understand your exposure to UK equities and also to validate if adding such a significant further chunk of US is consistent with what you're trying to achieve.

If you feel comfortable doing some analysis like that then it'll help you to make an informed decision, but if you don't then I'd suggest that LifeStrategy alone is probably more appropriate.
  • bluenun
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I'm sure nobody would try to dissuade you away from collective investments such as funds, but it would make sense for you to research the breakdown of the underlying holdings within LifeStrategy both to understand your exposure to UK equities and also to validate if adding such a significant further chunk of US is consistent with what you're trying to achieve.

If you feel comfortable doing some analysis like that then it'll help you to make an informed decision, but if you don't then I'd suggest that LifeStrategy alone is probably more appropriate.

Thank-you for the reply.
    There is no immediate rush to invest the money. I will do some research before I make a decision.

The good thing about Vanguard funds is they do not charge a fee to sell a fund or buy a fund so if I did change my mind I am not locked in.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The advantage of funds of funds like Vanguard Lifestrategy is that they are well diversified according to some predetermined criteria which is explained when you read their factsheets.

If you are happy with those criteria then there is no point in adding side funds until you have a much larger sum invested. In fact, you are probably doing more harm than good.

In effect you are saying, 'I really like the way Vanguard are spreading my investment, but I'm going to change it completely by adding something else'. Why would you do that?:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure