Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?

Options

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Slim chance - try Vista64bit driver here
    http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/226/
    Connect printer to computer with USB lead when requested.
    You were right,I just didn't know how to do it,so big thanks to you too.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    [EMAIL="IT@S"]IT'S[/EMAIL] WORKED !!!!

Thank you so so much.Can't quite believe it,but with your help,and other's suggestions,I've got there.Old Mr Faithful is back in business!!

Good news ;)
    Sorry about the links, I can see they don't work when linking directly to them.
    If perchance the next major Windows 10 Update removes your efforts and it stops working, simply repeat the process again.
  • Froglet
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Good news ;)
    Sorry about the links, I can see they don't work when linking directly to them.
    If perchance the next major Windows 10 Update removes your efforts and it stops working, simply repeat the process again.

Oh I hope it doesn't,with my memory these days I'll have forgotten how.But I have saved the file so should be easier next time!

Thanks again,I'm so chuffed to have it working again,as I'm still getting used to the new computer and Windows 10.

a
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Oh I hope it doesn't,with my memory these days I'll have forgotten how.But I have saved the file so should be easier next time!

Thanks again,I'm so chuffed to have it working again,as I'm still getting used to the new computer and Windows 10.

a

Copy and Paste my guide into a text document and create a folder, with the name of your Printer. Pop both the Vista 64 bit Driver file and the text document into the folder and keep it on the Desktop or in your Documents folder.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Copy and Paste my guide into a text document
    If the OP does this the OP might want to change the reference to the key combination "Ctrl + X" in the guide to "Windows logo key + X".
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Done.

New version

Once you have ascertained which, either download;

http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/cjr730EN.exe for 32 bit

http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/cjs730EN.exe for 64 bit

Choose to Save the file.

Then go to Device Manager(Flying Windows key + X, then choose Device Manager), find the Printer name within the list, right click on it and choose Un-install Device. Go forward with this, also confirming that you want to remove any associated Driver package. Do not reboot at this stage.

Next, unplug the Printer's USB cable from the PC and go on to un-install all existing Lexmark software from the computer via Control Panel > Programs.

Once complete, you can reboot the PC and go on to install the appropriate Vista Driver via Compatibility Mode as shown earlier.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Thank you,I will do as you suggested.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    If the OP does this the OP might want to change the reference to the key combination "Ctrl + X" in the guide to "Windows logo key + X".
    Thank you for that,the more simple the process,the better!
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2019 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Flying Windows key + X, then choose Device Manager
    In what sense does the "Windows" key on a keyboard appear to be "flying"? The image on the key is just a representation of the Microsoft Windows logo. Perhaps your keyboard has more than one Windows key and this is your way of distinguishing between them.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In what sense does the "Windows" key on a keyboard appear to be "flying"? The image on the key is just a representation of the Microsoft Windows logo. Perhaps your keyboard has more than one Windows key and this is your way of distinguishing between them.

It has changed around Windows 8 time I think. There will be plenty of keyboards out there with the older Windows logo, a square with a cross inside, 'waving' like a flag in the wind, or 'flying'. Indeed, there was a flying windows screensaver. Looking down at my keyboard now, it's the newer logo, which is just a simplified rhombus with the cross inside.
    Just call it 'The Windows Key'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport