Digital TV switchover problem

Options

Comments

• GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Argos are stocking up with Bush 16" lcd tvs for the next price drop or even easter
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • before_hollywood
    before_hollywood Posts: 20,686 Forumite
    Options
    tvonics do a box suitable for non scart tv's
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • exegnomad
    exegnomad Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    If you have an old video recorder you could feed the aerial lead into the freeview box, connect the freeview box to the VCR with a scart lead, then connect the VCR RF out socket to the TV aerial socket. The VCR doesnt even have to be able to record.

Tune the TV to the VCR and leave it on that channel, and just use the freeview box remote to change stations.
  • veronarona
    veronarona Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a clever fellow :D

veronarona
  • Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I may be missing something here but isn't a freeview box a non-starter regardless of how it is connected to the TV?
    To connect via RF the OP would need to allocate a channel to the box and then tune the channel to the correct frequency (same way you would with a VCR).
    OP can't tune the TV at all which was the whole point of the thread :confused:
  • Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    Duplicate post :o
  • exegnomad
    exegnomad Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    All the video recorders I have had were able to change the frequency of the RF output (otherwise they could clash with broadcast stations in some areas).
    So, instead of tuning the tv to the VCR, you can select one of the "spare" channel buttons on the tv which were not allocated to one of the broadcast stations, and adjust the RF out on the VCR until you get the signal on the tv.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Searcher wrote: »
    I may be missing something here but isn't a freeview box a non-starter regardless of how it is connected to the TV?
    To connect via RF the OP would need to allocate a channel to the box and then tune the channel to the correct frequency (same way you would with a VCR).
    OP can't tune the TV at all which was the whole point of the thread :confused:

Provided the TV can select a channel that is not already tuned to a station, he can change the Freeview modulator channel till the picture appears on the TV.

I also second the "join Freecycle" suggestion. Members are very generous in my area. I got a free Netgear ADSL modem last week!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what is a video recorder ? :rotfl:
  • TimothyEBaldwin
    Options
    robv wrote: »
    Some allow the modulator frequency/channel to be changed so you could set it to the same channel as our current bbc1. (after switchover

Unless that frequency is reused for something else, like digital television, and the RF output can not be isolated from the aerial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure