Adventures of the Boy & Me: Part 2..

Options

Comments

• Chandelier.
    Options
    Evening,

Another day finished at work. I'm now off for three days so will have plenty of time to catch up on things.

Yesterday I went to my friends and had a coffee and a catch up so it was my first no spend day of the year. Today has also been a no spend day as I've been working so bonus points for me!

Tomorrow I've my CPN coming in the morning. I'll update her on how I've been coping over the past two weeks which at times haven't been very well. The boy comes back from his grandparents tomorrow and the plan is to go round my best friends house for a coffee and a catch up which should take us to mid afternoon. I'll find something else to fill the time.

On Thursday my car is getting valeted so I need to clear all the rubbish from there so it's all ready to go. Whilst waiting for this to be done, me and the boy are meeting up with a friend from work for lunch which will be nice.

I've no plans as of yet for Friday but I'm sure I'll think of something. I'm working both days at the weekend.

I've sorted out my annual leave for the rest of this year up until the beginning of April. I've three weeks to take which we've slotted in nicely and means I will get to take a break and crack on with things that need doing and also focus on having some me time.

The cheque that I cashed in last week should become available tomorrow so hopefully I can make the last of the debt repayments and then turn my focus on to what I can save per month rather then further monthly outgoings which is a positive for the rest of the year.

I need to look at upcoming costs predicted for the next year. I have a holiday to save for, a wedding and possible numerous other events. I also need to factor in yearly/annual costs such as car serving/mot/insurance etc.

As mentioned in my previous thread I started seeing someone new who was a friend. Things had been going well until my mental health deteriorated. I'm not quite sure where things stand in regards to this but I'm not losing sleep over it. If he wants to be in my life he can be, if not then that's okay and I'll be fine with that. I'm the first to admit I had been hard work with him and possibly pushed him away a bit too much but that's part of who I am and it's something I need to work on. He also has a lot going on in his life so maybe some space will do us good.

I need to start thinking about goals and outcomes I want to achieve for the year. I've a few in mind but need to really decide what I want from 2018.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 January 2018 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Current Debt

1) Halifax: £2000.
    2) AA: £2200
    3) MBNA: £2800

Total: £7000
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    New Debt Totals

1) Halifax: £0.
    2) AA: £0
    3) MBNA: £0

Total: £0
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    I'M FINALLY DEBT FREE
    WOOHOO!!!

:j :T _party_ :dance: :T :j
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • erniethecat
    Options
    Yeeyyyyyyyy You!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!
    Chase: $5,512.91 Citi:$2,592.24 Total: $8105.15
    Paid So Far: $301.85
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    So the cheque that I cashed in last week finally became available and the first thing I did was pay off the balances of my remaining credit cards.

So I am now officially debt free. I no longer owe anything to anyone. This feels good.

My debt free journey has been a weird but wonderful one.

So a bit about my debt free journey..

My debt was never down to wreckless spending or poor money choices. The only real debt I had was originally my car on a PCP offer which was around 11% interest. I chose to pay the settlement figure using a loan at 3.3% interest which was originally over a four year term. I then had the bright idea of moving it all over to 0% interest using the money transfer option which I was lucky enough to be able to. I tackled this debt head on making large overpayments where possible and was making good dents in it. In August/September I decided to have some dental work done/veneers which bumped up my debt but this was through utilising 0% purchase card offers. I carried on making huge dents and repayments and I had a plan set out in front of me to pay it off within the next 12/18 months. Unbeknown to me I came into some inheritance which has allowed me to pay it off much sooner.

I'm fortunate to have recieved this inheritance but also to have been able to utilise the 0% offers where possible. I saved myself over £2000 worth of interest overall and I now proudly own my car and I'm able to smile confidently since having my veneers done.

So all in all, a positive story!

The past twelve months has consisted of so many ups and downs but I made it through on top. It's seen about four different medication changes, a holiday abroad with friends, relationship changes, a new job and so much more.

Here I am sat by myself smiling and looking forward to the future.

This isn't the end of my journey as rather then pay off debt, I'll start to save all my extra available cash each month which will go towards a house deposit and more adventures for me and the boy.

I'll continue my MSE ways to enable a secure future ahead!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hope you'll still pop in and let us know how you're getting on :D

Congratulations on being debt free :D Amazing news so happy for you x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Of course I shall WannaBeFree.

The plan is to continue this adventure just without the debt. The diary gives me something to be accountable for and keeps me motivated.

Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Congratulations on everything you have achieved and staying the course, so happy for you.:j
    Good luck, for the future.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Morning :)

Yesterday ended up a very busy but productive day.

My CPN came round first thing in the morning to see how I had been doing. I admitted to her that I'd been finding recent weeks difficult due to change of routine and lack of sleep. I explained how irritable and agitated I had become and we discussed options. We decided on an emergency back up plan that involved just in case medication that she would get my consultant to prescribe so off she went to sort that out.

I've been suffering with symptoms of a kidney infection which I phoned up my doctors and they sorted out a prescription over the phone. It was one less appointment to attend.

I then went round to my friends with the boy where the children played and we had a good catch up for a couple of hours. It felt good to get a lot of things off my chest and another opinion on things.

I then went to pick up both my prescriptions and took them to my local pharmacy where I also arranged to pick up my weekly meds.

Whilst at the doctors I picked up an xray card for a follow up xray following a pretty bad bout of pneumonia I had before Christmas. When I was suffering from pneumonia, I just carried on as usual and worked throughout it all. The doctors and people around me were surprised I was still standing and able to function.

I then took the boy for a haircut which cost £7. We went to our usual place but it seems to have been taken over by someone new. They still did a good job and the boy looks very smart all ready to go back to school next morning.

We then headed up to my work place where I underwent a chest xray. This still showed slight infection. The consultant radiologist was there and reviewed it at the time for me and has requested I have another repeat chest xray in four weeks. I need to get that sorted with my own doctor. The people there were wonderful with me. I guess I have some perks with my job.

Whilst there I nipped into work to print off some forms to fill in and scan/email them so we can get copies of the DVD of the ice skating show the boy was recently. I've paid the costs for them and for tickets to an afterparty. £40 spent for all that but will recieve half of this back from the boy's nanny.

We then went home where I cooked tea before taking the boy out to his ice skating lesson.

Whilst there I phoned the tax office and sorted out my tax codes. Hopefully these will be right from now on and I should no longer be emergency taxed. I possibly may get a rebate later on in the year but I'm not holding out much hope.

We then came home and chilled out for a bit before retiring to bed.

So all in all, we never stopped yesterday but it was good to be productive.

My giffgaff sim arrived in the post so I will set that up later on in the month. I recieved a telephone call from EE asking me to stay but I stated I was going sim only on a monthly rolling basis. They were quick to hang up :rotfl:. I just need to cancel my phone insurance now which will save £6.99 a month.

Today we are meeting up with a work friend and her daughter for lunch for a catch up. Her daughter has been struggling with mental health issues and seems to be able to open up more when talking to me which I think has been a bit of relief for her mum. She's only 17 and has the whole world ahead of her but is crippled by anxiety. I would like to think by talking to someone who has experienced similar will help her somehow along the way.

The friend I've been seeing asked if I wanted to go for lunch but as I've already got plans I'll have to politely decline. He has a lot going on in his life so we haven't spoke much. At times we've argued and I've possibly pushed him away far too much. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Many of the arguments are down to me and what I've experienced in recent weeks. We may just end up staying friends overall which is quite sad but that's life I guess!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts