PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, been missing in action for months but need to bring the spending in line again :o so can you put me down for £70 for food only for the month for 1 person.

Thanks
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2012 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Please put me down for £200.

Oh the shame, officially day 3 of this months budget and I've already spent nearly £130!! I lost track already (how that is possible I'm not sure, so just lumped it in as £100 plus what had already been spent). So looks like I have another month of being skint!! :eek:

On the plus side I have plenty of DR mince and meatballs in the freezer so hopefully we won't have much to spend. We have a weeks holiday which just leaves two weeks worth of shopping....maybe it will be possible after all!! ;)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    In October I bought some new cake tins-should kitcheny stuff come out of grocery budget or not please?

I don't but it's up to you. I only include food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, household stuff (e.g. cling film, loo roll) and stuff for the cat - basically things you use up. I only include 'basic toiletries' such as toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, face wipes - make up or perfume would get bought out of my own personal allowance, as would things like new kitchenware (split with OH if appropriate). I don't include alcohol, takeaways or eating out either as these also come out of our personal allowances (either splitting the cost or one of us treating the other if we are out together).

It's easy for me as we have a joint account for household stuff and separate accounts for everything else, so when I'm deciding whether to include it I just think "is it OK to buy this from the joint account or will OH think I'm being cheeky" :rotfl: Occasionally the amount in the account will build up and we'll then go out for dinner/pay the cat's vet fees/buy new stuff for the house but then I don't count it as GC as it's treat money left from being good. HTH.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mossy wrote: »
    Tattycash, it's entirely up to you! ;) Some people do just for food, some do food, toiletries etc, some do all of the above and eating out. I have a seperate budget for treats and stuff so I would have bought cake tins from that but it depends on your own budgets etc. If it were me I wouldn't take it out of my grocery budget. Hope that helps! :D
    Thank you. I'll have to set up budgets for different things...
    I'm trying to make vanilla butter cream but have run out of vanilla essence. how do you use vanilla pods to flavour butter cream please?
    I've started a new thread for this question but I'm in the middle of doing it band have run out of essence and butter cream. I can make some more but am clueless as to how to use the vanilla pods I found in the cupboard. Can anyone help please?
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks to Zippy for starting the thread :T

I'm still posting on the October GC thread but just wanted to say budgets done to here for November :)

Welcome to all the newbies. If you want your budget to be included in the list please post big and red. Thank you :A

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to make vanilla butter cream but have run out of vanilla essence. how do you use vanilla pods to flavour butter cream please?
    I've started a new thread for this question but I'm in the middle of doing it band have run out of essence and butter cream. I can make some more but am clueless as to how to use the vanilla pods I found in the cupboard. Can anyone help please?

Sorry, I can't help there! However, I'm with the others and I wouldn't count the pans in my gc. I'm sure some clever soul will be along to help shortly...
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • quavering
    Options
    Hi everybody :hello:

I've put off joining this challenge long enough! November's my month though!

I've got a packed store cupboard, so please can you put me down for £50 for the month

I work at Mr T's, so it's going to be hard, but I've preloaded a gift card with £50, so everything I buy has to come off that.

Good luck everyone :)
    Roadkill: £0
    £2015 in 2015: 0/£2015

Total debt: £5028
    Total paid: £0
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options

If you use the point of a sharp knife to split a pod lengthways you can then run the blade along the flayed pod to collect the seeds on the knife blade and just beat them in with the butter and sugar.

Then if you put the "used" pod in a jar with (caster; but any works) sugar you will have vanilla sugar to use next time.

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks Zippy, Rosie & Coxy for keeping everything up and running so well :T

I'm sticking to my weekly £75, if that's ok. I'm still in October until the end of the week, but I'll try to keep up with this thread too.

In October I bought some new cake tins-should kitcheny stuff come out of grocery budget or not please?
    I wouldn't take them from my grocery budget, but it's up to you.
    Some people include absolutely everything, others just food - it's whatever is the best/ easiest way for you :)
    It's great to see you here - it shows that you're trying to control your spending - just like the rest of us! :T
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Thanks Zippy, Rosie & Coxy for keeping everything up and running so well :T

I'm sticking to my weekly £75, if that's ok. I'm still in October until the end of the week, but I'll try to keep up with this thread too.

I wouldn't take them from my grocery budget, but it's up to you.
    Some people include absolutely everything, others just food - it's whatever is the best/ easiest way for you :)
    It's great to see you here - it shows that you're trying to control your spending - just like the rest of us! :T

Thank you. I have already improved from last year-last year at this time I had just spent over £100 on birthday cakes-in a one month period :eek:. this year I have made the same amount of cakes in a one month period and I think it's probably cost me less than £15 - total :D
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing