Tesco 'planning' new discount chain called Jacks

Options

Comments

• paulhgc
    paulhgc Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not once you've become accustomed to it - I very much appreciate the speed of the process. Ordinary supermarkets have become annoyingly slow to the wife and me - we just want to get in, shop, out and away as quickly as possible.

I somewhat agree and i am very new to the process :D i have only just discovered the bagging area ( i thought this was where they sold discount package holidays at 1st )

I still feel a major uk retailer could do a lot lot better if they was to fine tune a few things
  • paulhgc
    paulhgc Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lessco and interesting no domain http://www.lessco.com/
  • B'sKitchen
    B'sKitchen Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    paulhgc wrote: »
    The sector is not really that hard is it ? you get a smallish store and sell a restricted number of items that are of good quality but cheap

You then pay some one to scan there purchased items as quick as possible and make them chuck it all into trolley and take to the front of the shop to the bagging area to bag up while you move onto the next customer ;)

All staff costs are kept to a minimum on my last visit i went to a till and was told it was closed so i moved over to another one and then i looked over and the till i was about to go on was now reopen :rotfl: i can only presume they was preparing this member of staff to start stacking

Dont get me wrong its good how they operate but it really is not hard to see how they keep the cost down
    There's video on YT where Lidl Store Manager explains why they can afford being so cheap. It's not a secret, it'a all about being smart with their labour. No shelving and small range means less time spend on stocking, fast checkout, larger customer turnover, sine people are not wandering around the store trying to pick one of 20 kinds of beans etc.

I think they would be more beneficial to everyone if they put more effort into educating people how to use their check out system though. They definitely need more signage over the counters explaining what they're for. It would stop people from being angry how they're groceries are handled and other from taking their sweet time arranging everything in their bags (you always get one of those in front of you! ;))

It'll be interesting to see what Tesco comes up with. Lidl/Aldi are cheaper, but being German, majority of their range is good quality (produce, chocolate, meat, wine, household products), definitely better quality in my opinion then some value stuff you get from other retailers.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    B'sKitchen wrote: »
    I think they would be more beneficial to everyone if they put more effort into educating people how to use their check out system though. They definitely need more signage over the counters explaining what they're for. It would stop people from being angry how they're groceries are handled and other from taking their sweet time arranging everything in their bags (you always get one of those in front of you! ;))

I think the lack of signage is deliberate. They know that some customers want to pack their bags at the checkout and they don't want to potentially lose them by telling them not to.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Aldi and Lidl may cut costs, but they pay the staff well. And in the branches I go to, they still use manned checkouts, keeping jobs.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    We're getting a new Food Warehouse - I wondered what it was.

Imo its quite good, majority of the items sold are frozen but nothing different from the traditional Iceland store.
    paulhgc wrote: »
    I also visited one and this will be the next biggest failure the place was terrible and i landed up putting my basket down and walking out

Been to 1 a couple of times now, its fine, its a shame its where it is. Its always popular.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure that new Lidls are that great, They are all superficial. Self-service tills isn't a hooray really for the rest of it. It's all of the same stuff just more of it. Rather than loads of new lines etc.

We are moving next week and there is a big, new Lidl there with self service tills. This is brilliant because on many occasions I have bought just a few items and put them back because the queues at the tills were so long:(

I do like a choice in shopping though and get annoyed when I make a detailed list for a big shop eg 30 items and find Lidl only stock half of them. Sometimes even really everyday items like custard powder.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco's new low price concept to fight Aldi and Lidl are about to open.

They are to be called Jack's after one of the founders of Tesco.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45488402

What would you like to see Tesco do right. What do you think they will get wrong.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So thats why all Tesco value ranges have disappeared from my Tesco?

What they will get wrong will be poor quality items at their value range prices

They won't ever get the same quality that Aldi and lidl do at the price point us lidl and Aldi shoppers have become used to
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Apparently Aldi just up the road from Tesco at Chatteris have introduced 20% discount off £25 spend for the month of September.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure