Barclays axes free Kaspersky software for account holders

Options
redfox
redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 2 December 2017 at 4:34PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Barclays has stopped offering free Kaspersky anti-virus products to its customers following an official warning about Russian security software

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42209489

A spokesman for Barclays said: "Even though this new guidance isn't directed at members of the public, we have taken the decision to withdraw the offer of Kaspersky software from our customer website."

Cynical me thinks they've quickly seized an opportunity to save a few quid.

Comments

• Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Complain and ask for compensation.

I am going to complain. I have recently installed the product via Barclays so why have they given me insecure software and how can I replace the software with one recommended by the bank. Should be good for laugh:D.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    redfox wrote: »
    Cynical me thinks they've quickly seized an opportunity to save a few quid.

This news has been coming for a while. I guess we'll find out if you are right to be cynical if they replace the offer with one using a different AV software provider.

I hope they do, I've been waiting for them to change supplier for a very long time ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nobody has proved its insecure

The National Cyber Security Centre's warning is not, as they admit themselves, based on any evidence whatsoever. So it's just their hunch based on an unproven allegations from across the pond.

Should we also stop using Symantec products because they have possibly been working with our intelligence services?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are ZERO grounds for a complaint or compensation on a free service offered by Barclays that can be changed or withdrawn at anytime without notice.

So don't waste your time and move on
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Nobody has proved its insecure

Nobody has proven that it was Russia that supplied the missile which killed 298 people on MH17, but for the time being I'm quite happy not booking plane tickets that take me anywhere near the same airspace.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    I suggest you stay away from Abu Dhabi as well or did you forget about Vincennes? There is absolutely no doubt there who that missile belonged to
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I suggest you stay away from Abu Dhabi as well or did you forget about Vincennes? There is absolutely no doubt there who that missile belonged to

Indeed. Which kind of proves the point. In one case there has been an admission, acceptance, apology and steps taken to reduce the chances of the same thing happening again. In the other, so far only obfuscation.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using the software and was scheduled to renew at the end of this month, so their timing is unfortunate for me. I take it when they say they've stopped it for "new users" they mean that existing users cannot renew it.

Shame, as I liked it and I don't really care if the Russians are reading my internet forum posts and gathering data from my online shopping habits. It would have been nice to get in before the lock and not have to worry about it for another twelve months or so.

Any idea whether they'll be replacing it with anything similar? I'm guessing no, since their freebies seem to be fairly haphazard in general (not that I'm complaining, free things are nice).
  • unforeseen
    Options
    They will insist everybody uses Trusteer Rapport :rotfl:
  • InA
    InA Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options
    Snakey wrote: »
    I've been using the software and was scheduled to renew at the end of this month, so their timing is unfortunate for me. I take it when they say they've stopped it for "new users" they mean that existing users cannot renew it.

The news reports are ambiguous. The wording being used is that the offer is being stopped for "new customers" or "new users", but then the BBC article was confusing because it suggested 290,000 emails were sent out to people who have used the software in the last decade.

To my mind, a person renewing a product is an existing customer, not a new customer. I did not get the email and have some time to go before renewal. I'm hoping this means existing users will get the option to renew.

Do let us know what happens in your case.

I find the media furore over this to be completely unnecessary and misleading.

1) There is zero evidence of Kaspersky having been used in the way that is being alleged. Kaspersky are actively working with authorities to find a way around the issue.

2) Even if the Russian state could gain something from spying on individual users in UK (unlikely), what can they possibly do with your data? I would be more concerned about snooping by the Government of the country you actually live in, because they can certainly affect your civil liberties.

3) It's naive to think the Russians are the only ones at it. If we're talking conspiracy theories, perhaps it's the case that the US / UK Governments feel they can't properly snoop on their own citizens because Kaspersky either prevents or would detect the intrusion. Home grown security companies would happily play ball with the US / UK spy agencies and would give them the back door that they want, not least because they would be governed by US or UK law.

We already know Theresa May is anti-civil liberties and pro-snooping.

IMO, Barclays did not need to pull this offer. People have a free choice over whether to use it or not. It would have been sufficient to include a warning for those working in Government jobs connected to our national security, but then those people should already be knowledgeable on matters of security to not require such a warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure