New power of attorney guide

Options

Comments

• sandiego
    sandiego Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all can anyone help me with if i need to get 4 Lpa's 2 for my mum & 2 for my dad ? or can they be made as a married couple ?
    My dad has a serious illness & my mum has just been diagnosed with
    early onset alzheimers so i need to discuss lpas with both of them
    how i do that i really dont know but any help appreciated.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The LPA's must be made individually as joint LPA's don't exist.
    Also, someone can only make an LPA while they still have mental capacity.
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Trying to get to grips with the option of 'jointly and severally' ie together or individually.

Example:

I have 3 x Attorneys (A, B, C) plus 1 x Replacement Attorney (D)
    I do not request that A, B, C are to act 'jointly' for any particular event,

D replaces either A, B, or C for one of the accepted reasons

Am I right in thinking that they would ALL still be able to act jointly and severally in this instance?

Also, if I would like them to act together on certain issues, I need to put this as a carefully worded 'guidance' as a 'restriction' would not be valid?

Thank you in advance
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Hi, is anyone able to answer my query above, please?
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    There are three options as to how you want your attorneys to act.
    1) jointly and severally - this gives the attorneys power to do anything they want on their own OR together
    2) jointly - everything has to be done together
    3) Jointly for some decisions, and jointly and severally for other decisions - you must specify which decisions you would like taken together and everything else can be done individually.

I take your post to mean you have chosen 1. If there are things you want them to do together you need to chose 3.

Yes you are correct in saying that you can give some preferences in them acting together if you select 1 but they can ignore this unless you chose 3 and give specific instructions which must be followed.

However if you chose 3 and let's assume you say you want the sale of your house to be a joint decision. Should C be unable to do it then D will be able to make that decision alone whilst A and B will be unable to make it as C isn't there to take the decision jointly with them.

So if you want everyone to always be able to make decisions chose 1 and give a preference later on in the guidance section, only using words like "I prefer ..." Or "I would like ...". The examples you can click through to on the online forms are very helpful.

By selecting 1 all attorneys and replacement if required can act jointly and severally.
  • ih8stress
    edited 16 November 2015 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, Rosie1980.

Yes, I am referring to option 1. I would have preferred option 3 BUT am put off by the fact that if A, B, OR C dropped out then D would be the ONLY one to have a say for joint decisions.

If most people choose their Attorneys in the order of preference (as I will be doing) then it seems silly that, in this example, D could end up with more say than A(B, C).

I do understand the principle of it i.e. if they act 'jointly' they are seen as one person/body, so if one goes, they all go.
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Can I ask another couple of questions, please (then I promise to stop, honestly:)):

I may only be having 3 Attorneys now.

So, if I took up option 1 for them all to act jointly and severally, but did NOT make one of the 3 a Replacement Attorney - am I right in thinking that the surviving two would carry on as normal in being able to act jointly or severally?

A different scenario (for a family member):

For 2 Attorneys acting jointly, with no Replacement Attorney in place,
    if one of the Attorneys dropped out - would the surviving Attorney be unable to continue and the LPA therefore be cancelled?

I appreciate your input, thanks.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ih8stress wrote: »
    Can I ask another couple of questions, please (then I promise to stop, honestly:)):

I may only be having 3 Attorneys now.

So, if I took up option 1 for them all to act jointly and severally, but did NOT make one of the 3 a Replacement Attorney - am I right in thinking that the surviving two would carry on as normal in being able to act jointly or severally?

if one of the Attorneys dropped out - would the surviving Attorney be unable to continue and the LPA therefore be cancelled?

Mum and I were Dad's attorneys, able to act jointly and severally.

Mum had died before we needed to register the POA for Dad so it all went ahead in just my name. Mum's death didn't cancel it.
  • Old_Joe
    Old_Joe Posts: 243 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2015 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Am interested in daughters being my wife and mine LTP, but have several questions:

What cost is it to set up a LPA.
    How to set up LPA without going online.
    Can these be Registered without the need of a solicitor?
    Is the cost per person registering and for the dependent of how many person prepared to act as a LPA

Any advice will be appreciated. ;)
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    Ask away that's what forums are for. By the way I am in no way legally qualified just someone that has spent a lot of time creating several Power of Attorneys and reading about them.

Yes that is correct.

I appreciate your input, thanks.
    Yes that is also correct, you've got the hang of this!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback