Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Options

Comments

• Malchester
    Options
    Had two conversations with HMRC last week after my interest from last year were showing on my tax account leading to changes to my tax code meaning I will pay tax on income even though my earnings are below my personal allowance. First person I spoke to denied that there was a starting rate of 0% for interest of up to £5000 (depending on earned income) and, even though I had the web page open in front of me she told me I was wrong and had to pay tax on any interest over £1000. I asked her to confirm what she was saying and she did.

I called back later and spoke with a man who could not have been more helpful and confirmed that I was correct and the person I spoke to was wrong. He confirmed I should not pay any tax but the system would not let him correct the information and reinstate my correct tax code. He passed the issue on and promised to ring me when things were sorted. How different two people at HMRC CAN BE.

I HAVE ALSO TRIED AMENDING / deleting accounts from the interest list but it just gives me the error messages others have had
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    He confirmed I should not pay any tax but the system would not let him correct the information and reinstate my correct tax code

What is the incorrect tax code and how much do you expect to earn/get in pension from the company the tax code is being used by?

There are sometimes valid reasons why the tax code appears to be wrong but it isn't necessarily so. But it does depend on the detail.

No excuse for you having to make the second call in the first place though :(
  • Malchester
    Options
    My tax code of 1304 was split between pension and employment income to ensure I had no tax to pay on either. Now they have taken savings interest of £1800, taken off the £1000 nil rate of savings but have reduced my personal allowance to take into account the extra £800 interest above the £1000 mill rate even though my total income (pension, employment income and taxable interest) is well below £16000 there I should pay no tax
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    So is either tax code actually lower than the income you expect to receive from your job or pension?
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Reading the comments I was excited the "digital tax" or whatever it was called was finally being rolled out avoiding the need to individually track and submit savings interest to HMRC. I see nothing has changed for me from previous years. It just shows the actual amount from my latest SA and there is no detailed breakdown.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Changing to the best deals often my interest details are obviously way out of date from one tax year to the next. After logging in half a dozen times on different days I have been able to change 2 incorrect entries (to no obvious effect yet), but a further 5 repeatedly get the same "technical difficulties/try later" message. Strangely the items I can change always go to the next details page, whereas the ones I can't always default to no can do.
    Maybe an old fashioned letter or phone call is still needed.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 12 January 2019 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Reading the comments I was excited the "digital tax" or whatever it was called was finally being rolled out avoiding the need to individually track and submit savings interest to HMRC. I see nothing has changed for me from previous years. It just shows the actual amount from my latest SA and there is no detailed breakdown.
    Nothing has changed the need for you to provide taxable interest details on your Self Assessment return.

Eventually HMRC may pre populate your return with the figures they have been advised of banks and building societies but that will be the same as how they populate employment income information now, you will still need to check it is correct.

But at the moment if the information matches your Self Assessment return then there can be no detailed breakdown simply because you haven't been required to provide such a breakdown when you completed the return in the first place.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Eventually HMRC may pre populate your return with the figures they have been advised of banks and building societies but that will be the same as how they populate employment income information now, you will still need to check it is correct.

This was the opening statement of this thread:
    RG2015 wrote: »
    In the last week HMRC have added full details of my interest received in my online personal tax account. Previously they had just shown the one figure that I had reported to them as my total untaxed interest income for the 2017/18 tax year..

But at the moment if the information matches your Self Assessment return then there can be no detailed breakdown simply because you haven't been required to provide such a breakdown when you completed the return in the first place.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. The SA form does not require a detailed breakdown of UK savings interest. Like most other values you input the total amount, you don't list them out. It's a standard form for everyone. I suppose HMRC may in exceptional circumstances follow up and require a detailed breakdown although increasingly unlikely since banks are now sharing this information digitally. This is the information I thought others are now seeing. My 18/19 forecast number is my 17/18 actual number, same practice as HMRC have always done.
  • short_butt_sweet
    Options
    reading this thread makes me glad that i currently only have to use self-assessment, and not PAYE! which seems a bit wrong - wasn't PAYE supposed to be simpler?!
  • Malchester
    Options
    Yes new code is lower than employment and occ pension added together. Correct / previous code wasn't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback