Forum Home » Savings & Investments

Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details. - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
464 replies 63.2K views

Replies

• Dazed_and_confusedDazed_and_confused Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    What had happened to the accounts?

Had they been closed in 2017:18 or are they still open in 2018:19 just not earning any interest?
  • DennisTenusDennisTenus Forumite
    458 posts
    Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    One of them was my Santander that I changed to 123 Lite (so not earning any interest) a while back.... can't remember when though

The other was a TSB joint account recently closed, it did earn a little bit of interest I suppose. Maybe i shouldn't have asked that one to be closed.... what would HMRC do about that?
  • Rich2808Rich2808 Forumite
    951 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I had an account listed that was actually a cash isa - so shouldn't have been listed at all as it is tax free.

So I simply altered the interest figure for that account online to zero. I presume that was OK to do - i have the account but earned zero taxable interest on it. Why my cash isa provider was reporting this as taxable interest though is more of a concern!
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    I had an account listed that was actually a cash isa - so shouldn't have been listed at all as it is tax free.

So I simply altered the interest figure for that account online to zero. I presume that was OK to do - i have the account but earned zero taxable interest on it. Why my cash isa provider was reporting this as taxable interest though is more of a concern!
    I hope it wasn't offering an unrealistic 8% interest!
    951 posts
    ✭✭✭
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't offering an unrealistic 8% interest!

No its an isa account with a sharia bank paying a market leading cash isa rate.

458 posts
    Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    How on earth has that ended up on there?
    951 posts
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth has that ended up on there?

No idea - the bank presumably just messed up. I sent them a secure message about it 10 days ago but haven't heard back.

I have only ever had a cash isa with them - no other savings. The Sharia bank concerned is regularly in the cash isa best buy tables so I may not be the only one on here affected if its a general mistake.
    458 posts
    Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Bit concerning though. HMRC should have noticed if it states its an ISA
  • FatbritabroadFatbritabroad Forumite
    567 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    masonic wrote: »
    P2P is the only remaining reason I'm on self assessment. One ostensible reason they may not be included is bad debt relief, which must be claimed, and which can materially affect the amount of taxable P2P interest.
    Sorry to hijack this but I've judt logged on and as you say no mention of p2p lending or taxable investment account . Most of mines in isas to be fair and the ones that aren't I'm under the allowance limits for interest and dividends but should I still correct them? And how does one go about this?
  • greenglidegreenglide Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    HMRC should have noticed if it states its an ISA
    Surely it is more likely the bank's failure for telling HMRC that this is a taxable interest bearing account when it isn't?

HMRC won't look at the account name to see if it contains the string "ISA"!