PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome Mrsd. Sounds like your strategies to work through your stockpile are progressing well and I love the idea of bartering your tins for allotment produce. I wish you the best of luck.:T

As for my own progress:

In
    nothing

Out
    4 chicken burgers
    beef stir fry strips
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    caronc - Thanks for your message. I dare not start to think I am "winning" although I suppose something is improving.

Hopeless Case - Thanks for your message too. My thinking is similar, "to keep on top of what's in it (the freezer) and use it wisely".

Good luck to those new to this challenge.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the first week of July, I aim to use up more previously prepared freezer stored batch cooked recipes. These make up three and will each have several servings. They are in the fridge and I have been using them yesterday and today.
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, hopeless case. I've managed to find this thread with no trouble tonight.

So, last night I opened one of the freezers...:eek:
    I took out a ham put there post-Christmas which was a cut-price bargain. I also took out two rolled brisket joints and left them defrosting overnight.

Today, I unrolled the brisket and trimmed the fat that tends to be hidden in the middle and put them into a large plastic box in brine. They're in the fridge and will sit there for 3 days after which I shall make up a rub and convert them into pastrami: one for us and one for my son who is due a visit from Manchester at the weekend. He's a big lad and will, no doubt, manage to eat it single-handed. I put the ham in my electric pressure cooker (best thing I EVER bought by way of gadgets. Can't recommend these multi pot things enough. Anyway, that's another thread in the making - my overindulgence in gadgets). We had some of the ham tonight with the bartered courgettes, which I sauted with some garlic and tomatoes I swapped for a tin of salmon whilst collecting the courgettes! I have the promise of some strawberries in exchange for a jar of piccalilli tomorrow. This thing is working!

OH mentioned this scheme of bartering at work and one or two of the lads he worked with said they would rather have his sarnies than what their partner makes up. I never, ever buy packeted cooked meats and always cook, or prepare my own. So - ever resourceful - he has asked them if their partners would be prepared to provide him with a bit of cake and piece of fruit in exchange for a round of sandwiches each day. If they agree and don't make stupid demands (no smoked salmon, please: you get what he gets) then this should help, also.

I have read through the whole thread now and cannot believe just how many people have a food hoarding problem similar to mine. I thought I was unique: Who'd have guessed? I hope I can be as successful as others here. I am enjoying this and setting it down here is certainly therapeutic, but if I am waffling on too much, just tell me to shut up. I've been a member here for over 10 years, but only just started posting when I found this thread.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 July 2018 at 9:17PM
    Options
    HM pastrami mrsssd how lovely:)
    Today-
    In: chicken stock
    Out: tea bags
    Used up: camembert, tea bags, coleslaw
  • mrssd
    Options
    I've been up since 5 again: I tend to be an early riser, anyway, but 5 is an hour earlier than normal! Sorted through the small kitchen freezer and it is not too bad - well once I got the drawers out! Everything in there is relatively new with nothing more than 6 months old, so I've transferred some of it to one of the bigger freezers and moved some of the older stuff up. I've got some chicken breasts and a frozen puff pastry defrosting from big freezer no 1 and I'll use up some of the ham that is left to make a couple of pies: one for tonight and one to freeze in the new found kitchen freezer space. I'm keeping a note of when it went in on my spreadsheet to make sure it doesn't get forgotten about.

Some of the chicken has freezer burns, so I'll poach these for the mutt, which should put a smile on his little face, as he loves chicken and it will save on dog food. I'll then refreeze it in suitable sized portions for him. I had a pile of dog food in store as well, but took it to the Dogs' Trust who appreciated it. To explain: the mutt had to go on a special diet and I had a load of dog food that he could no longer have.

I did wonder about the merits of cooking and refreezing stuff I am trying to get use up, but decided it is the only way to avoid waste.

So, today I'll have used up the rest of the ham; some chicken, pastry and sweetcorn from the freezer; the rest of the bartered courgettes; LL milk, a tin of new potatoes (why did I buy tinned spuds?) from the stored food mountain and we'll be having the strawberries I'll have bartered today with some Greek yogurt that needs using up.

Another question to answer, please...:question::question:
    I rarely have anything in the fridge to throw out, but wonder if soft cheeses (somebody above mentioned Camembert) freeze ok? I often throw away that and brie - as well as yogurt from the fridge. NOTE TO SELF: Don't make quite so much yogurt! I tend to freeze rinds from Parmesan and the like and use up when making soups that can take it (minestra, broccoli, cauliflower etc.) I just throw one in and take it out before serving. It's crazy, as a part of me loathes waste and - yet - I am stockpiling enough food to feed Colchester Garrison when they come to visit!

Right. Off to walk the dog via the allotments. Thanks for reading and all your help.:T:T
  • mrssd
    Options
    caronc: May I ask? What does the GC at the foot of your posts mean? I'm not what can be described as forum savvy!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    caronc: May I ask? What does the GC at the foot of your posts mean? I'm not what can be described as forum savvy!
    Hi it stands for "Grocery Challenge" which is a separate monthly thread on this board. Worth joining as another nudge for accountability:)
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In
    nothing

Out
    1 pack of chicken mince
    packet of mozarella
  • mrssd
    Options
    Thanks, caronc. I'll have a look. I need to cut back on the spending on food. It is shameful what I manage to spend each week. Hopefully, now a thing in the past! I was fortunate enough to retire on a good pension that is index linked, but OH will not have much in a private pot when he retires (he is younger than me :D He has another 5 years or so to go, but I need to get into the habit of budgeting BIG TIME now. It is not that I don't know how to budget: it is simply a case of never having to budget. Or - at any rate - for a very long time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback