PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tips on vetting new tenants

Options

Comments

• franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you think every 3 months is reasonable??!:eek:
    I found it onerous but liveable with, it's the norm for letting agents who fully manage round here. Would not want more than that. Less would have been appreciated once the agent got to know me but I suppose agents want to tick their boxes to justify their ongoing fee.
  • gonsdad
    gonsdad Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options

There are some truly terrifying answers on this thread we massively need the rental sector to be overhauled. Tenants are people entitled to privacy, respect and peaceful and quiet enjoyment of their homes! How they choose to live, what their bank balance shows, really isn't the business of their landlord so long as the rent is paid and don't cause major damaged to the property.

It horrific isn’t it? It seems that a subset of BTL landlords get a bit of a buzz out of having some degree of power over someone else.

It’s a new level of pondlife that takes obvious joy in rejecting someone for having too many Xmas presents under their tree. Disgusting.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2018 at 6:52PM
    Options

There are some truly terrifying answers on this thread we massively need the rental sector to be overhauled. Tenants are people entitled to privacy, respect and peaceful and quiet enjoyment of their homes! How they choose to live, what their bank balance shows, really isn't the business of their landlord so long as the rent is paid and don't cause major damaged to the property.

I don't do a inspection every 3 or even 6 months but each of my tenants will get an email asking how everything is going and if anything needs attending to.

Ive had mixed results with this approach,from those who just say all is fine to those that have listed literally a page of "niggles",some I can do something about and some I cant...its not easy to change the direction of the sun to stop it shining through a particular window and the tenant seemed amazed when I suggested they could always use the supplied blind.

Not all tenants fit the same mould and there are those that like more interaction with the LL and those that wont tell you even when the main water tank is leaking and they choose to let the neighbour in the flat below report the problem via a management company and then back to me simply because one morning water was pouring thorough the ceiling to the homeowner below.

There are also the tenants that I can easily now spot as getting ready to move out,suddenly a list of things that hasn't bothered them for the duration of the tenancy now need fixing or if not fixing at least advising that they are not in the same condition as when move in happened.

I am now considering putting in a 6 month inspection,not because I care in the slightest how a tenant occupies the property but simply because I want to make sure all the fixtures and fittings are operating as they should and experience has started to prove that I cant always rely on the tenant to look at the property with the "eye to maintenance" that I have

I don't expect the tenant to tidy up or to clean for my visit but I will expect them to share any concerns for the property with me after all its not until check out that the property is handed back in good condition minus fair wear and tear.

Although to the poster who is being critical of LL practices,please remember not all LL's have multiple properties and portfolios the majority of them are actually entrusting their largest asset into the hands of someone else to live in.

I'm not defending anyone but its very easy for a tenant to cause multiple damage to a property that far exceeds the deposit held sometimes by not reporting a problem sooner or in reasonable time.

I wouldn't expect to rent a car without giving proof of being able to drive it if some LL's feel the need to ask for additional proof of responsibility or affordability then that's their choice.Its then the choice of the prospective tenant to comply or move on to find a more suitable LL for their purpose also.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    You could even end up being barred from being a LL by the council for causing such detriment to the neighbourhood and reduction in property prices. Of course, this is all speculation... Well, the last bit is, unfortunately.

Yup. I reported a LL to the council for stealing my deposit. They responded by sending him a letter. I noted with interest they mentioned in the letter that previous tenants also reported having their deposit stolen by this crook. So thats their response: a letter.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Do people these days really have to show potential landlords their bank statements and have them round to inspect their current living arrangements?! I’m glad I bought my own place.

I haven't had to show anyone my current living arrangements (and I don't really do Facebook so no-one will see much on there) but yes, just last week I scanned fourteen pages of bank statements and income/expenditure to my (possibly) new landlord, along with current and previous landlord details and character reference :)
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps this doesn't need to turn into a thread of LL v tenant each bashing the other.

We as users of the forum are all bigger than insults but there is always going to be the divide of those who rent and those who supply.

Tips for the OP welcome,else if it escalates into a full blown tit for tat then it serves no purpose to either side.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yup. I reported a LL to the council for stealing my deposit. They responded by sending him a letter. I noted with interest they mentioned in the letter that previous tenants also reported having their deposit stolen by this crook. So thats their response: a letter.

That is what the deposit scheme is for and not at all what I was referencing.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    That is what the deposit scheme is for and not at all what I was referencing.

Yeah it was off-topic but just commenting on the unlikelihood of a crooked LL facing any consequences.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    I'm neither a tenant nor landlord but I'm afraid from what I've seen I never want to go into the sector as a Landlord.
    I'd want inspections every month frankly.
    Endless unreported damage and unreported attempted break-in'.
    Unreported major water leaking causing more extensive damage turning a minor issue into a major one.
    I someone do wonder how on earth some of these tenants could ever cope if they actually owned and occupied a property.
    Then there was indeed the cannabis farm where the tenant/tenancy was a front for the real occupant and 'farm worker' and the place was trashed cumulating in the Landlord getting a call from the police to say they have just raided the place. This was an upmarket house in a good area as well.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    It's hard to believe that tenants are actually the customer judging by some of these comments. Like they are a different breed of person. It's disgusting to be honest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure