Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 January 2016 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I'm not sure where I went to untick (or tick?) the required field but I did so after emailing CheapEnergyClub to ask if there was any reason they werent offering Ebico as an option and I was then told where to go on the site to untick, or tick, the required box (and havent used it since) It's possible they may have changed this as there was a bit of a hoo haa a year or so ago about energy comparison sites getting commision. Of course they have to pay their way so I'm fine with that but I think they became a bit more transparent after that.

Yeah, all a bit woolly innit? Maybe this'll help ...
    The limitations of comparison sites – they don't always show all tariffs

Bear in mind that some comparison sites by default only show you tariffs you can switch to via them (ie, where they're paid commission). This filters out some results unlike Cheap Energy Club which shows you ALL those available by default and always has done.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    The switch was automatic but took a long time - a month or so.
    They then provided a means of sending my readings by text which failed. I asked for a copy of the required format which they gave but in the meantime I had discovered how to prompt the text system for the format... and the two were different. I began a complaint with a resolution being that the format should be published on the web site - not an unreasonable place for it to be found?? but that never happened... A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...
    This began warning bells because the company clearly has no interest in accurate admin or solving admin problems.
    Then gradually SSE took over all communications to the point now where I would be pushed to demonstrate that I have a contract with Ebico.
    And finally just a few months down the line and MSE is showing a much better fixed price deal - and I am not a heavy user...

So what is the point of Ebico...??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

So what is the point of Ebico...??

As far as I am aware, the administration of Ebico has always been handled by Southern Electricity.

The point of Ebico is that very low users do not pay a Daily Standing Charge.

It also charges the same price for those on a pay as you go meter, or wish to pay quarterly.

Also it is non profit making.
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    None of that would entice me to use them, had I known beforehand, the issues I experienced. My experience may not concern others, but it left me with a jaundiced view...
  • StefanLee
    Options
    Went to their site to see about switching to new supplier for a cheaper price, price they quoted was for
    £100 per year MORE !!!
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    StefanLee wrote: »
    Went to their site to see about switching to new supplier for a cheaper price, price they quoted was for
    £100 per year MORE !!!

Welcome to MSE :hello:

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

There is no universal cheapest supplier - if there were, we'd all be on it and there would be no reson to have comparison sites, or indeed any other supplier.

If you did any research about this company at all, you would know Ebico is not necessarily to do with cost.
    They are reasonably priced for those with PPMs or who prefer to pay quarterly by cash or cheque on receipt of bills, and with no standing charge, they promote lower usage.

They will rarely be the cheapest if you are prepared to pay monthly by direct debit (as they use these savings to cross fund the more vulnerable customers who cannot pay this way), nor for higher consumers.
    The bigger suppliers like higher consumers as that means hoigher profits.

Ebico don't care about attracting more profitable customers , because Ebico is a not for profit supplier.

(But you knew all that anyway... :cool: Good luck!)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know this is currently being mentioned in other threads currently, but thought it would be useful indicating the change of supply partner here too, for future reference.
    SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close. However, we are delighted to announce the launch of Ebico Zero with our new supply partner, Robin Hood Energy....
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

It should be noted that the supply partner is responsible for billing, payment coolection and meter reading ... and certainly was the first port of call for customer service enquiries when SSE were the supply partner.
    (although Ebico also had their own small team if customers needed further assistence)

Therefore the majority of feedback to date is probably not really applicable from this point forward.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Therefore the majority of feedback to date is probably not really applicable from this point forward.

Doesn't make sense. Feedback up to this point compared with feedback after this point is a useful comparison between support from SSE and RHE. It probably goes without saying that it was SSE's support which earned Ebico it's upper position in customer support rankings.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, it's not my shortcoming, but an issue a at Ebico/RHE.

What on earth has happened at Ebico since this change of supply partner??? :mad:

I've finally got my first bill from Ebico after the switch early April. I'm with Ebico due to their no standing charge tariff, because my bills are very low.

I'm not on Direct Debit, so the bill needs paying this week,
    But neither their online payment system nor their phone system will accept payment :mad:
    Apparently the amount I owe is too low for them to take the payment

So what am I supposed to do???? :huh:
    Why can't I pay by bank transfer like I could with SSE?

I'm trying to call them. Was cut off when waiting for a customer advisor from the payment option.
    Now been on hold since 9am ... still holding. Called before 9am to be advised they don't open until 9am. Called bang on 9am and still on hold! :mad:

By contrast, I also had reason to call SSE, the old supply partner, today. I got through straight away (after going through umpteen automated reponses).

I wondering if RHE's hold music, Brandon Flowers - I can change, is trying to send me a subliminal message :cool:
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    What on earth has happened at Ebico since this change of supply partner???

They have a new supply partner who deals with billing and payments... it isn't Ebico that is different, it is the 'front end' you are dealing with. Obviously a different supply partner means a different way of doing things.
    I'm not on Direct Debit, so the bill needs paying this week,

So what am I supposed to do????

You've chosen a less convenient payment method which requires customer action to make it happen. It does sound a bit odd that they won't accept payment because it is a small amount, but to answer the question, if you want a payment method which doesn't involve some kind of inconvenience the best thing is to sign up for ('pay on bill') quarterly direct debit. If the bill is correct you don't have to do anything more... not even arrange a bank transfer. :)
    I'm trying to call them. Was cut off when waiting for a customer advisor from the payment option.
    Now been on hold since 9am ... still holding. Called before 9am to be advised they don't open until 9am. Called bang on 9am and still on hold!

By contrast, I also had reason to call SSE, the old supply partner, today. I got through straight away (after going through umpteen automated reponses).

If having your call dealt with promptly is important to you then perhaps you need to pick one of the larger suppliers who charge more, but can then afford to have staff sitting around in call centres 24/7 awaiting your call. On the other hand, if getting the lowest cost energy is important to you then it doesn't seem unreasonable - as a cost-conscious customer - to expect to have limited hours of access to a call centre, and possibly having to wait on hold at busy times.

You seem to be happy with SSE's customer service... so I would guess the choice of new suppier would be obvious if you do decide to switch.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport