Need extra insurance for car hire?

Options
2»

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    You could take out insurance to cover any excluded items such as tyres if you wish, but most things are already covered.

Did you actually peruse the thread before replying??
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I didn’t add any extras onto the policy, the cover I’ve got was included with it. Would you reccomend a separate policy from moneymaxim or similar in this case? Thanks

Anyway I've taken a look and it seems that AutoEurope have included ZERO EXCESS WITH EXTENDED COVER INCLUDING WHEELS, GLASS, UNDERSIDE AND ROOF OF VEHICLE with the rental.

Many complaints on TripAdvisor about their behaviour when making a claim. Insisting that you need a police report for any damage or no consideration for the claim.

On that basis I would suggest that it isn't worth anything.

Apart from that, unlike a proper standalone policy, it does not supplement the minimum cover provided by the car rental company. Third Party Liability cover with Dollar is possibly around US$20,000. A proper standalone policy would push that up to US$1,000,000.

So in short, you don't need to buy insurance, but assume that the AutoEurope policy is useless and that you won't be covered for windscreen, tyres etc

Personally, since I travel often, I have an annual policy, so don't need to think about these things; https://www.insurance4carhire.com/products/worldwide-car-hire-excess-insurance-plus-cdw-sli

Compare what you get with a proper standalone policy;

8.png

The AutoEurope policy;
    7.png

offers cover for windscreen, mirrors, external lights, roof and undercarriage on top of what is offered by the car rental company. That's it....if they pay out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure