PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Options

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The west coast is wet, rather than cold. Like Cornwall, it suffers from being rather a long way from everything else.

That, and the midges, ruled it out for us.

As Davesnave says, the west is wet rather than cold. In fact you can recognise the summer as the rain gets lovely and warm. There was even a dreampop band from Philadelphia who named themselves ironically after a member had studied there.

As for the midges, you don't have to go too far outside the central belt to find yourself in temperate rainforest. So nobody every does.;)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    God you make living alone sound like torture, I can assure you its frequently amazing and I bet money will agree there are definite advantages! :rotfl:

No, I really don't, that is your perception. Sure, there are advantages to not having to share but I will never regret learning how to.

It's NFL season, fgs! I practically have to book the telly! I don't like having to watch it on this crappy, little computer screen. Would I trade this for having the TV all to myself? Not in a million years.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    It's NFL season, fgs! I practically have to book the telly! I don't like having to watch it on this crappy, little computer screen. Would I trade this for having the TV all to myself? Not in a million years.
    You want to come and visit our house where there are 6 TVs between 2 of us
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 10:04PM
    Options
    No, I really don't, that is your perception. Sure, there are advantages to not having to share but I will never regret learning how to.

I see what you did there.

Its ok, I'm not insulted. Its a common misconception I expect. ;)
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    You want to come and visit our house where there are 6 TVs between 2 of us

Why???????
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I see what you did there.

Its ok, I'm not insulted. Its a common misconception I expect. ;)

I am not criticising anyone's lifestyle choice. To each, their own. I have no idea what you are on about, sorry.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I am not criticising anyone's lifestyle choice. To each, their own. I have no idea what you are on about, sorry.

Of course. :cool:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:43AM
    Options
    God you make living alone sound like torture, I can assure you its frequently amazing and I bet money will agree there are definite advantages! :rotfl:

I'll come back to you on that one - when I think of them...:rotfl:

Errrm....errrm....well there is a good night's sleep (no-one snoring or the like) and I'm the only one that does the decision-making re the decor (though it's very standard modern style - white walls/neutral carpets/etc - so not going to offend anyone's eyeballs:rotfl:).

Though my mother would tell me that the woman is the only one that decides on how the house is anyway:rotfl: (she just lets my father think he is having a say too:rotfl:). She chose the house as well - and then came back and told my father "We're moving".....(though I think she was "owed" that one after years of being an Armed Forces wife).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:58AM
    Options

Did you know you can get rather large computer screens? I'm not sure whether there are that many of them around - but when I decided I couldn't stand the "crappy little screen" any longer and wanted better I got it. It's actually bigger than my tv.

Mine is 30" across (ie from top left-hand corner to bottom right-hand corner). Or 25" left to right side. One can pull it up and down to some extent to adjust the height and swivel it around. So I can swivel it around from face-on to my desk to sideways on to sit on an armchair and watch tv programmes on it and sometimes do. There's some sort of fancy-schmancy thingie in it that means one can watch tv programmes more easily without the light being sort of distorted on them.

It cost around £300 from memory....but they are available. Try googling for Philips computer screens.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I'll come back to you on that one - when I think of them...:rotfl:

That's a real shame, if you don't like living alone don't! Go online dating, or get a nice lodger. or team up with a friend, move into a retirement community even! :eek:

I love it, wouldn't change it for the world, but if I wasn't happy I'd do something about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure