PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Why???????

Didn't start off like that (obviously). We have 2 sitting rooms, one for summer use and one for winter, so 1 in each. I work from home by myself all day; I have a 1 in my office. We had a bit of a change around and the CRT one I had in the office wouldn't fit so we bought a new one and the CRT ended up in the spare bedroom I do my ironing in. We have 1 in our bedroom which we upgraded so we can watch catchup TV. The previous one from that bedroom then got moved to the spare bedroom for visitors...... Oops, we ended up with 6. They do all get used, although we won't replace the CRT one or the spare bedroom one, which both operate with set top boxes, when they pack up. We only have 1 large TV and that isn't large by modern standards.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Not paraphrased, no. He's as straight-talking as they come. He and my father were close friends for many years, they really were 2 peas in a pod :)

I'm working on narrowing down an area, well trying to narrow it down to one county even! I was out all day yesterday scouting areas - Burton, Swadlincote, Ashby, Measham. The houses I like are too dear, the houses I can afford are umm... yeah. So I'm mentally heading round and up the country. Online today I've 'looked round' Norfolk and Lincolnshire. Getting better results now. Both have some nice market towns, with reasonable properties in my budget.

So I'll be booking a load of viewings and sorting out another expedition. If nothing turns up in fairly short order I'll consider renting something, just to get winter out of the way and start looking again properly in springtime. Ideally I don't want to do that, but rent for a while + job + small mortgage = better house in better area. Maybe...

Oh and I agree it is harder to do all this as a single woman, so any nice fellahs out there - please get in touch ha haa :D
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • circuit
    circuit Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    @YoungBlueEyes

This thread has actually helped me more than you would know! Having spouted off about the risks of shared access, I actually offered on a house last week and then realised it was almost the same set-up as yours; 6 houses with shared path/ drive. The access was just for the back, not the front, but the EA had declined to mention it, strangely enough!

I looked up the land registry documents and saw changes dating back about 10 years. The bloke next door to the house I liked (still lives there now) seems to have gone to court to prevent anyone parking on the shared area.

Guess who was parked on the shared area during my viewing? Yep... the very same fella.

Had he gone to court to stop everyone else parking there so he could have it to himself? It certainly looked that way!

Offer was rejected, and we made our retreat!

So thank you -- in a funny old way you've prevented me making the same mistake twice... much like your signature!
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 2:06PM
    Options
    “ You want to come and visit our house where there are 6 TVs between 2 of us
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Why???????Posted by Smodlet
    Slinky wrote: »
    Didn't start off like that (obviously). We have 2 sitting rooms, one for summer use and one for winter, so 1 in each. I work from home by myself all day; I have a 1 in my office. We had a bit of a change around and the CRT one I had in the office wouldn't fit so we bought a new one and the CRT ended up in the spare bedroom I do my ironing in. We have 1 in our bedroom which we upgraded so we can watch catchup TV. The previous one from that bedroom then got moved to the spare bedroom for visitors...... Oops, we ended up with 6. They do all get used, although we won't replace the CRT one or the spare bedroom one, which both operate with set top boxes, when they pack up. We only have 1 large TV and that isn't large by modern standards.

We (also just the 2 of us) can beat that if you include the one in the wardrobe! Main tv (lounge) is 43" so, again, nothing flash. Then smaller/older sets in are the kitchen, conservatory, bedroom, study and hobby room. The one in the wardrobe is a 25 year old tv/vcr combi that Mr S refuses to get rid of because of the vcr tapes he insisted on keeping - even though he hasn't watched any of them for at least 10 years!

The lounge, kitchen and conservatory are all linked by SkyQ (our little luxury) but the other 3 are just freeview.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, fgs. I meant, "Why would I want to come to your house?"

Personally, trying to watch more than one TV at a time would do nothing but give me a headache. For those who need it on constantly and cannot figure out how to work the "Pause" button, perhaps one in every room including the fitted wardrobe and the loo are deemed necessary.

Thank you, money but, if it really were too short to mention as it is chez moi, you would not consider spending the price of a new washing machine on a monitor. The time to replace it or anything else is when its predecessor dies in our house. How the other half live.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    @Circuit Wow that's about exactly the same, I wonder how often it's happening round the country...?

That's the good thing about this place - anyone with an eye in their head and a finger to type with can come here and dip into the fountain of knowledge :D :T

P.S. The first part of my sig is from a fridge magnet my friend gave me - the cheeky b1tch :p
    The second part was suggested on this thread, also as it's (now) very apt!
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Oh, fgs. I meant, "Why would I want to come to your house?"

Personally, trying to watch more than one TV at a time would do nothing but give me a headache. For those who need it on constantly and cannot figure out how to work the "Pause" button, perhaps one in every room including the fitted wardrobe and the loo are deemed necessary.

Thank you, money but, if it really were too short to mention as it is chez moi, you would not consider spending the price of a new washing machine on a monitor. The time to replace it or anything else is when its predecessor dies in our house. How the other half live.

Gosh aren’t you rude?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gosh aren’t you rude?

It isn't rude it is a bit blunt. Some people are just like this they aren't trying to be rude it is just the way their brains are wired up.
  • circuit
    circuit Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    It is spookily similar! I've noticed if EAs seem to mysteriously 'forget' the key to something, it's not a good sign!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Options
    We (also just the 2 of us) can beat that if you include the one in the wardrobe! Main tv (lounge) is 43" so, again, nothing flash. Then smaller/older sets in are the kitchen, conservatory, bedroom, study and hobby room. The one in the wardrobe is a 25 year old tv/vcr combi that Mr S refuses to get rid of because of the vcr tapes he insisted on keeping - even though he hasn't watched any of them for at least 10 years!

The lounge, kitchen and conservatory are all linked by SkyQ (our little luxury) but the other 3 are just freeview.

Sorry OP for the wander way off topic....

We still have 2 VCRs....... we do still have some tapes which I will aim to watch again when I retire (hopefully soon). We'll probably reduce down to one player when we move. We'll offer the other one out to the free world, somebody may want it!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport