Compulsive borrower to compulsive saver?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 April 2017 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Well done, Hillwalker, for sticking at it:T. 34 days is brilliant:beer:

I hope you get your broadband situation sorted. I recently switched providers from BT to Plusnet. So far so good. Cheaper and more reliable:j. I know Plusnet is part of BT so I'm surprised there has been such an improvement;)

What are you reading at the moment? I love crime novels myself but am currently having a spell reading biographies. They have to be of people I'm really interested in, be very well-written and what I'd call a 'good read'. I've given up on no end of them in the past because although the subject was of great interest to me the book itself was as dry as dust and more like an academic tome:eek:. I like to be educated but I need to be entertained at the same time;). I've recently read a great one about Dusty Springfield, whose music I've always been a big fan of. I also read a fascinating one about Madame Tussaud (of the waxworks fame). What a life she led in French Revolution days! The next in line is about John Christie (of Rillington Place fame/infamy). Really looking forward to that one:T. Biography and crime combined. Couldn't be better:j.

I feel sorry for people who don't read. I feel bereft if I haven't a book 'on the go'. I much prefer getting lost in a book to watching TV or films.
  • Hillwalker17
    Options
    Hi Guys

Still rocking and rolling - day 39. :)

The BT situation isn't resolving and they are telling us that we have to pay £40 a month for the next year as its what we signed up for. Were not happy about it but i'll see how much complaining I can do.. :rotfl:

I just finished a crime book by Mark Billingham and I have moved on to a sports book at the moment. I intend to go back to the crime books and finish the DI Tom Thorne series as it is very good.

I'm not really an auto biography person but I might give them a go at some point. I suppose its like anything, give it a try before you rule it out.

Spent £4 yesterday at the local shop for some snacks for going to a friends house last night so I have less than £20 until the end of the month. As its the 24th tomorrow that's fine as payday should be next Friday.

I'm hoping i'll get last months extra hours in this wage as I could do with buying some holiday money for when i'm away and for replacing the £40 I took out of the emergency fund.

Hope you all managed to buy the reduced easter eggs that tesco/asda were selling :D

HW17
    Ex Gambling Addict :( - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Brilliant, Hillwalker, day 39 (well, day 40 by now):T:T:T

I keep intending to read something by Mark Billingham but never seem to find one at the charity shop:(

It's biographies I like to read, not autobiographies. Real biographies tend to have had a lot of research done prior to writing (hence why some read like academic books:() whereas autobiographies or memoirs tend to just be an excuse for the writers to 'big themselves up'. A bit of a sweeping statement:o but it's been my experience anyway so I never bother with autobiographies now.

I'm fairly new to reading biographies as I always preferred fiction (and still do). I picked one up from a charity shop a while ago and can't recall where I put it:o. I never saw it again after I brought it home. It's a biography of the Scandinavian author, Stig something or other, (the one who wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc) who died young.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a biography of the Scandinavian author, Stig something or other, (the one who wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc) who died young.

Stieg Larrson? (I had to look her up ;))

40 days is great Hillwalker. :T:T:T:T Very MS :money:

Sorry to hear about the BT stuff: is there any vague chance you are eligible for a cooling off period? And whatever they think you signed up for, clearly that wasn't what you thought you were getting, so surely there must be some sort of 'I clicked the wrong button' escape route? Or am I being naïve?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi hillwalker, just wanted to say your doing amazingly, iv been reading since the begining and then i lost you... So glad iv found your thread again and been able to catch up with your progress. Nice touch with the table i thought that was really sweet.
  • Hillwalker17
    Options
    Hello everyone

Day 41 now - getting ever so close to that big 50 days :D

Life is getting busy again with work, the dog, the Mrs and trying to see friends and family in general. I feel i'm missing out on relaxing time, but they again I must be doing something right if i'm not gambling :rotfl:

The Mrs and I are away this weekend on our planned trip. I will get a few last minute things on Friday which will probably cost mean close to £50. At least it payday then and it can come out of the overtime I should be getting.

LadyP01 - Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot. It is nice knowing that people are following for me and wishing me all the success as I hope for.

CherryFudge - Not a thing we can do with the BT. They won't budge but hopefully when I get a minute, I'll submit a complaint to them and hopefully get something back about it. At least its coming from the joint account with the Mrs and not just my own :)

Carbootcrazy - Ahhh biographies..I get your now. Again I've never read one but I might give it a try once my series is over. Nothing better than getting your head stuck into a good book! I like your comment about the autobiographies. When I see a celeb promote a new AB of theirs, I just think they need more money...Why write a book about yourself when the public know most things about you anyway.

Talking about reading, that's me away to lie on the couch with a cuppa and read a few chapters.

Enjoy your week folks

HW17
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    :wave: so you should be on day 45 today.
    Looking forward to your updates when you get back from hol.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    CherryFudge - Not a thing we can do with the BT. They won't budge but hopefully when I get a minute, I'll submit a complaint to them and hopefully get something back about it. At least its coming from the joint account with the Mrs and not just my own :)

Hope you get some joy with BT... *whispers* and I'm pleased it's from the joint account :)

Hope you're okay and not too snowed under.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How is it going Hillwalk.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Hillwalker17
    Hillwalker17 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    53 days and still going strong Home Wifi broken hence my absence. Update soon!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family