TravelGirl84's DFD

Options

Comments

• CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    We really need to stop waiting our lives away don't we, and find the fun in the stuff we can afford to do (I also need to start taking my own advice!)

Have you made a decision re your place yet?

I think we have! Unless we kill each other over the weekend, my 4 weeks notice will be going in on Monday, I'm going to be living in boy house! :j:j:j:j

Hope you're doing okay xx
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing?
  • TravelGirl84
    TravelGirl84 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Hi All

Long time no post! Lots of late nights at work and then I went on holiday, so I haven't had time to post.

So what's been happening my side the last few weeks?
    - Managed to stay in budget overall last month, however...
    - Went over my grocery/work budget by about £21. Not terrible but not great being over.
    - Went over petrol budget by £5 which I'm ok with. Sometimes it's unavoidable.
    - I had a budget for my holiday spending and I think I stayed within my budget, or at least there about's (I deleted the budget before I checked! *rolls eyes*). I definitely did spending money wise, but I had a breakfast accident at the airport and had to buy a new t-shirt, so that may have taken me slightly over. I'm pleased with the amount I spent though.
    - I had a car insurance payment free month! :j I didn't realise I was going to, but I had paid more on the first payment. I have put this aside because I'm concerned I have a slow puncture, so until I'm sure I have put it aside and if I don't need it I'll pay it off the B/Card.
    - I'm getting a £10 credit back from my phone network for the minutes I bought to use whilst in Vietnam, which wouldn't work, (turns out they didn't turn my phone to international their end).
    - I have 2 x £2 to stash away
    - My mortgage is sorted and it is staying as is for now. Turns out that I may never have been able to pay back the Help to Buy anyway due to the estimates of the RICS survey and banks valuation. Based on my next door neighbours, I may never have had enough equity, and on paper I may now have less equity then I did when I bought it, but I've not lost anything because I'm not selling. It's a complicated story! Hopefully after the next two years I can take it on, but it's lead me to being a bit confused.
    - I've paid more off of the B/Card. I have £200 sitting in the bank which I want to pay off, and if I add another £16 on it will take it down to £400. Was keeping it aside as the maintenance company seem to be mucking service charges around, but I may pay it off now. I am going to see how much I can sell my phone for vs and upgrade in December, maybe I can make a bit there to pay more off.
    - I have started putting some money in to pots which I'm actually really excited about. It's already making me think a bit more because I want to see them grow. I have £25 in clothes which I'm probably going to use for some boots, but I'm already reluctant to take it back out :rotfl:
    - I got £4.44 interest in my ISA, so I'll probably pay that off the B/Card as well

Plans for this month
    - I have separated my grocery budget (food, household, toiletries) and work food budget in M0nzo so I can track it easier. Still figuring out what to allocate where going forward but will monitor it.
    - Hoping to have some food and petrol money left this month as I was away for the first week after payday.
    - I realised I have less on my T/Card then I thought (should be just over £4k by Jan instead of nearer £5k), so looking at how I can get this paid by the end of next year on top of my payments for my loan. I need to find another £183 a month on top of the £167 min payment I am planning on paying for that card (as long as the B/Card is paid off by the end of this year).

Just updated my signature and realised I am under £30k! :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Hope everyone is doing well and having a good month so far!

TG
  • TravelGirl84
    First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Hi Coffee!

Thank you for your message. I'm all good, just been busy and then went on holiday. Have just done a new update :)

How is it going in the boy house?!
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    Just read through your diary and didn't want to read and run. You are doing SO well! Some really great changes being made and planning happening. I've subscribed to cheer you on. Good luck!
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    CoffeeCakeYarn Posts: 299 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Yay you are back! Hope you had a lovely holiday. Great update, so many wins in there you are doing amazing!

I know what you mean about it not being great if you go over budget on stuff but sometimes it happens. I've gone over budget on something this month already and it's not even a need it's a want... but you know what sometimes it happens that's life and all that jazz. Not adding to debt is step one, and paying it down is step two, so maybe we should be a little more relaxed about those months we don't/can't stay in budget.

Happy days with the pots! I can not recommend doing it this way enough, it's been a lifesaver for me over the last year. I'm sure some of it is psychological, previously if anything started going bad with the car I would feel sick, but now it's just a minor annoyance and not a sinking feeling because a new tyre would take me to my credit limit.

And finally - GREAT news on being under 30! You'll overtake me soon the way you are going :D

ETA - Boy house is going swimmingly at the moment! He is a different breed I swear! The dishes get done, the washing gets done, I came home one night to him hoovering! It's like he just magically sees this stuff and does it! I suppose that's the benefit of moving in with someone who has lived along for a long time, he's an actual adult :) And I LOVE getting to see him every day, hope it doesn't wear off haha!
  • TravelGirl84
    Options
    Just read through your diary and didn't want to read and run. You are doing SO well! Some really great changes being made and planning happening. I've subscribed to cheer you on. Good luck!

Hi BabyStepper

Thank you so much! :beer:

I think I've made some great progress so far, I'm actually surprised at how much money I've been able to 'find' since starting my diary. Toying with different ideas of how to manage debts/mortgage/money for doing life going forward, but not get myself consumed with it!

Thank you for joining along :)

TG
  • TravelGirl84
    Options
    Yay you are back! Hope you had a lovely holiday. Great update, so many wins in there you are doing amazing!

I know what you mean about it not being great if you go over budget on stuff but sometimes it happens. I've gone over budget on something this month already and it's not even a need it's a want... but you know what sometimes it happens that's life and all that jazz. Not adding to debt is step one, and paying it down is step two, so maybe we should be a little more relaxed about those months we don't/can't stay in budget.

Happy days with the pots! I can not recommend doing it this way enough, it's been a lifesaver for me over the last year. I'm sure some of it is psychological, previously if anything started going bad with the car I would feel sick, but now it's just a minor annoyance and not a sinking feeling because a new tyre would take me to my credit limit.

And finally - GREAT news on being under 30! You'll overtake me soon the way you are going :D

ETA - Boy house is going swimmingly at the moment! He is a different breed I swear! The dishes get done, the washing gets done, I came home one night to him hoovering! It's like he just magically sees this stuff and does it! I suppose that's the benefit of moving in with someone who has lived along for a long time, he's an actual adult :) And I LOVE getting to see him every day, hope it doesn't wear off haha!

Hi Coffee!

Thank you for the warm welcome back! :)

Holiday went by in a blur and I don't feel particularly relaxed, but it was nice. I now have no holidays booked though which doesn't sit well with me :rotfl:

Totally agree about not always being able to stay in budget - sometime it's not possible, sometimes we go over out of choice with a treat or with a want rather then a need (we do all need treats sometimes as well), but as long as we arn't adding to debt in the process then we're still winning!

I'm loving all the pot's, I currently have 15 :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: it definitely is psychological for me, I want to add to them and see them grow, and knowing I have that money put aside for when I need it feels so strange but so great, in the past I would always just put stuff on the card if I didn't have the cash!

Amazing news about the boy house, I'm so happy for you! :beer: Coming home to an actual adult who chooses to hoover without mentioning it sounds like a dream!!!! He doesn't have any single brothers does he? :rotfl: I've been single for a couple of years and slooooowly coming round to the idea of someone new in the future, though I'm in no rush. Maybe one day, we'll see!

TG
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey Travel :)

Glad you had a good time away...wait..you need to book another if you do not already have one booked haha that is the rules!!

I like you am finding it strangely addictive to keep filling the pots and knowing that when that particular need is required i do not have to panic, that feeling is going to be rather nice. I am totally with you on the needs/wants thing i still have moments where i really want stuff that is not budgeted for and get frustrated that i still have these moments but like you say debt not being added to is the key and just coz we have debt doesn't mean we should no have treats

You are doing so well with things at the moment keep going

PS...Adult boys will not be hoovering when you return home hahaha...you don't want a boy we cause mayhem :rotfl:
  • TravelGirl84
    First Post
    edited 13 October 2019 at 10:53PM
    Options
    Hey Travel :)

Glad you had a good time away...wait..you need to book another if you do not already have one booked haha that is the rules!!

I like you am finding it strangely addictive to keep filling the pots and knowing that when that particular need is required i do not have to panic, that feeling is going to be rather nice. I am totally with you on the needs/wants thing i still have moments where i really want stuff that is not budgeted for and get frustrated that i still have these moments but like you say debt not being added to is the key and just coz we have debt doesn't mean we should no have treats

You are doing so well with things at the moment keep going

PS...Adult boys will not be hoovering when you return home hahaha...you don't want a boy we cause mayhem :rotfl:

Hi Dan!

I really do need to book another holiday, but lack of funds means lack of deposit :( I have plans, but no firm bookings :eek:

I keep looking at my pots and I'm starting to think well I could add an odd pound here and an odd pound there. I know it's not much but it's something. I'm sure this must be a good addiction to have? :rotfl: I still have £200 sitting in a debts pot that I created because I thought I might need it. I think I might be able to use it to pay down debts now but I'm reluctant just incase. Would be good to use it and get my lowest card down to under £400 though!

:rotfl: re the adult boys. I think Coffee got lucky :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport