PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 129

Oh dear, what a financial disaster :o My bargain hunting radar was completely off track and I really struggled to find much for re-sale

and then to add insult to injury, I completely made a !!!! up on a purchase. It was a folding back pack and I read the price sign as £5 and was enthusing about how good it was. I then saw the label attached to the bag and it was £15, I was too embarrassed to say that I had made a mistake and duly paid. I was really :mad: at myself!

So that was my day, how about you, how have you been doing?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 130

:j Yay, another NSD notched up :j
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :o:o:o:o Blimey I feel so embarrassed to be thought of like this. I am just an ordinary person, who I think took so much advice from my late Mum about how to make a shilling do the work of three. back in the dark ages of post-war austerity making things go further and not wasting anything ,especially food was second nature to almost everyone I think.it must have rubbed off on me and thankfully I have passed it on to both of my DD's ,probably more to my eldest (who strangely enough is the better off financially of the two :)) than the youngest, although my youngest isn't too bad.

I think of my housekeeping in the same way as I would run a business (and I have had a couple of those over the years which didn't do too bad ) So nowt get wasted or thrown away as to me it would be like chucking cash down the drain.I like to enjoy my life though and I certainly don't go without.

I have three holidays a year, and my family benefit from my various things that I can do for them. Keeping a keen eye on prices and mentally thinking Hmm what could I do with that and how can I make it streetch is quite exciting at times .

More so now as with the internet you have such a great range of recipes available at you fingertips. The addition of a few herbs or spices can make even the blandest food taste better.I think my late Mum would have loved the range of stuff thans around today She sadly had to put up with 12 years of rationing.I remember her saying that when WW2 started she stocked up on as much cinnamon,nutmeg etc that she could as she thought 'This is going to be a long haul ' A surprisingly astute lady for her time I think .Her friends apparently thought she was daft and scaremongering but I think as she was born in 1900 she remembered how scarce things were when she was a teenager (she was 43 when I was born):)

I never buy items i.e. electrical without first researching where abouts the best buy is My DD's say I am better than 'Which' for ferreting out things.

I am at the moment working out the best place to get my DGS Jacks odds and ends for Uni this September He has a list of 'must have' things which include a toastie maker. I think he could live on cheese toasties and pizza given the chance :) but he is also not a bad little cook and can feed himself Ok .
    I have passed on money saving things to my grandsons, four of whom I have looked after over the past 10 plus years when both their parents worked full time (and still do)as I looked after both before and after school. Now they all tower over me :) but I still am there for them when they come in from school, and they never usually come into an empty house (now they make me a cuppa )

I will still take three of them out to lunch next week as a treat as I shall be away when its Henry and Mikey's birthdays on 1st and 3rd of June (my late spring holiday with my oldest friend paid for and budgeted for by my money saving ways :)) It will come from my Happy Cash Stash' and we will enjoy it .Henry has already chosen the pub we will go to as he says 'its a two for one their Granny' :):) He has been taught well that boy He will be off to uni next year and I will be finding bits for him no doubt as well. The eldest boy Ben graduates this year so its one down three to go :):) But they all get an allowance of £50.00 per month towards their food when they are away which will help streetch their student grant a little.With tow of them away next year it will mean a bit more belt tightening but I don't mind as they are good hard-working lads and this year's boy Jack is already stashing cash from his part-time weekend job towards September:T

Every little helps and when he goes he will have a plastic crate of tins and dried stuff to help him with his food budget while he is away I buy a few odds and ends for him when I go to the shops not a lot but a bottle of shampoo or soap or even toothpaste when I see it on offer Its the basic necessities that we all take for granted indoors that may swallow his cash :0 so anything I can squirrel away now for September will help him out.I did for his big brother and Ben went off to Norwich with his 'ben box full of things so Jack will have his 'Jack box ' as well :)when he goes to Hertfordshire. All got by careful budgeting and not wasting anything if I can help it .

:):):) JackieO xxx
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    :o:o:o:o Blimey I feel so embarrassed to be thought of like this. I am just an ordinary person, who I think took so much advice from my late Mum about how to make a shilling do the work of three. back in the dark ages of post-war austerity making things go further and not wasting anything ,especially food was second nature to almost everyone I think.it must have rubbed off on me and thankfully I have passed it on to both of my DD's ,probably more to my eldest (who strangely enough is the better off financially of the two :)) than the youngest, although my youngest isn't too bad.

I think of my housekeeping in the same way as I would run a business (and I have had a couple of those over the years which didn't do too bad ) So nowt get wasted or thrown away as to me it would be like chucking cash down the drain.I like to enjoy my life though and I certainly don't go without.

I have three holidays a year, and my family benefit from my various things that I can do for them. Keeping a keen eye on prices and mentally thinking Hmm what could I do with that and how can I make it streetch is quite exciting at times .

More so now as with the internet you have such a great range of recipes available at you fingertips. The addition of a few herbs or spices can make even the blandest food taste better.I think my late Mum would have loved the range of stuff thans around today She sadly had to put up with 12 years of rationing.I remember her saying that when WW2 started she stocked up on as much cinnamon,nutmeg etc that she could as she thought 'This is going to be a long haul ' A surprisingly astute lady for her time I think .Her friends apparently thought she was daft and scaremongering but I think as she was born in 1900 she remembered how scarce things were when she was a teenager (she was 43 when I was born):)

I never buy items i.e. electrical without first researching where abouts the best buy is My DD's say I am better than 'Which' for ferreting out things.

I am at the moment working out the best place to get my DGS Jacks odds and ends for Uni this September He has a list of 'must have' things which include a toastie maker. I think he could live on cheese toasties and pizza given the chance :) but he is also not a bad little cook and can feed himself Ok .
    I have passed on money saving things to my grandsons, four of whom I have looked after over the past 10 plus years when both their parents worked full time (and still do)as I looked after both before and after school. Now they all tower over me :) but I still am there for them when they come in from school, and they never usually come into an empty house (now they make me a cuppa )

I will still take three of them out to lunch next week as a treat as I shall be away when its Henry and Mikey's birthdays on 1st and 3rd of June (my late spring holiday with my oldest friend paid for and budgeted for by my money saving ways :)) It will come from my Happy Cash Stash' and we will enjoy it .Henry has already chosen the pub we will go to as he says 'its a two for one their Granny' :):) He has been taught well that boy He will be off to uni next year and I will be finding bits for him no doubt as well. The eldest boy Ben graduates this year so its one down three to go :):) But they all get an allowance of £50.00 per month towards their food when they are away which will help streetch their student grant a little.With tow of them away next year it will mean a bit more belt tightening but I don't mind as they are good hard-working lads and this year's boy Jack is already stashing cash from his part-time weekend job towards September:T

Every little helps and when he goes he will have a plastic crate of tins and dried stuff to help him with his food budget while he is away I buy a few odds and ends for him when I go to the shops not a lot but a bottle of shampoo or soap or even toothpaste when I see it on offer Its the basic necessities that we all take for granted indoors that may swallow his cash :0 so anything I can squirrel away now for September will help him out.I did for his big brother and Ben went off to Norwich with his 'ben box full of things so Jack will have his 'Jack box ' as well :)when he goes to Hertfordshire. All got by careful budgeting and not wasting anything if I can help it .

You are a wonderful grandmother, JackieO. I bet all their friends are jealous. (I am.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • TM6
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »

Well JackioO, you have now been adopted as our Champion Gran for your superb hints and tips :D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 131

I had a long solo tiring drive up to Yorkshire (with my DD3) of 8 and a bit hours driving time (hubby had flown up in advance to be in time for my DS's stag weekend)

To break the monotony of a Bank Holiday traffic drive we stopped off at IKEA Exeter and enjoyed a hot dog meal for under £2 and then we stopped off at Costco Bristol and enjoyed Pizza there :D

I know we could have taken sandwiches but it is a real treat to eat at these 2 places as Exeter is our nearest IKEA (a 2 hour drive from home) and Costco Bristol is a 4 hour drive away.

Both of these stores are less than a mile off the M5

and the food was lush and helped make the drive much more enjoyable :rotfl:
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 132

It is going to be very difficult not to spend this week as we are away visiting family and friends so even though it is going to be very unlikely that I will have any NSDs, I will still try and do my best to purchase wisely and not have a blow out!

A visit to a coffee morning with one of my dearest friends saw me purchase some beautiful homemade cards at 50p each - what a bargain!

My friend treated me to a strip of raffle tickets and I won a prize - I chose the mystery prize and was delighted that it was a shoe box containing a small food hamper a miniature bottle of slow gin, a packet of prune, marmite flavoured cashew nuts, a small bottle of white wine and a few nibbles

My DD3 was also given some money to buy supplies at ASDA but it was still a fabulous low spend day :j
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 133

Just £6 to go swimming with a girlfriend at her local private pool.

We had a great catch up and our husbands and our youngest children get on so well - after swimming we went back to theirs

A really lovely day for not a lot of money :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Used up my two 'Dobbies' freebie coffees with my sis-in-law yesterday, she is visitng for a couple of days. My dear neighbour Jamie handed a bag of rhubarb over the fence as their little girls aren't keen so that was turned into a delicious crumble and portioned some of it up for the freezer.

NSD's at all now until I return from my holiday on 8th June, I go this Friday (1st) and have more than enough indoors to cover this week.My son-in-law gave me a packet of three minted lamb chops that had been forgotten at last nights BBQ and were still sitting in the fridge ,that will do for tonights dinner.
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 134

Another super low spend day of under £4.

Our nearest Sainsbury's Local is in Plymouth, Devon, not even in our home county of Cornwall :eek:
    Both my hubby and I had 200 extra points when you shop at your Sainsbury's Local and as we are away we tracked down a Local and bought something of low value but would use and our Nectar cards are now 200 points better off.

Very pleased again :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure