PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cookiedough38
    Options
    Hi, this will be my first GC since Feb due to having a new baby in March so please can I start back at £200 for 5 of us and I am trying to include EVERYTHING in that - milk/nappies/food/household items etc so wish me luck LOL

:D thanks

I will be looking at you for guidance! I am due in september and remember all too well the cost of nappies and baby formula. I am hoping this baby and myself picks up breast feeding and we get on well with reusable nappies!

Congratulations on the new baby by the way!
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

noticed in the newspaper ad that here in Scotland, the Mr A offer - 2 x 4 pints of milk for £2 is running until 8th July. Not sure if it will be the same for the rest of the UK.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • cookiedough38
    Options
    I have thought of another question for you all! I seem to have got the hang of making evening meals and breakfasts well within budget, but i am not all that great on lunches. I love baking so if anyone has any ideas for things that I can make and prehaps freeze to last awhile that would be great.
    Debt free wannabe
  • perrywinkle
    Options
    I have thought of another question for you all! I seem to have got the hang of making evening meals and breakfasts well within budget, but i am not all that great on lunches. I love baking so if anyone has any ideas for things that I can make and prehaps freeze to last awhile that would be great.

Hi cookidough38,

I find that soup is a great lunchtime meal - although perhaps not on the hot summer days (if we should be so lucky). You can make lots of variations with very little effort and it freezes well in individual portions so you can just defrost, reheat and serve with some bread (hm). I sometimes just defrost and reheat in the microwave if I haven't planned ahead and its always fine and great towards your 5 a day.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • Mollymop5
    Mollymop5 Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    Options
    count me in again for £200 for July please
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• cookiedough38
    Options
    Hi cookidough38,

I find that soup is a great lunchtime meal - although perhaps not on the hot summer days (if we should be so lucky). You can make lots of variations with very little effort and it freezes well in individual portions so you can just defrost, reheat and serve with some bread (hm). I sometimes just defrost and reheat in the microwave if I haven't planned ahead and its always fine and great towards your 5 a day.

HTH
    Perrywinkle

great idea, thanks. Will go nicely with the homemade rolls;) which containers are best to freeze them in? Both of us have access to a mircowave at work.
    Debt free wannabe
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I can tell you how to put the quotes in the neat little boxes (Just hit 'reply' below the person and thread you're responding to or type

Have I done it right Denise?

:j I DID IT!!!!! Aww thanx for the help guys....Clutz is my middle name on many, many things:p

Used my NOTW MOC yesterday so got to add another £26:01 to my spends, but real bargain on Pierce & Duff Blancmange powders, box of four flavours 17p per pack in MrT!Also got a pair of jeans for an offspring's very early b'day prezzie, but they were a fiver & need to check the size.

Going back to read up on yesterdays postings, so have a good Tuesday peeps!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• perrywinkle
    Options
    great idea, thanks. Will go nicely with the homemade rolls;) which containers are best to freeze them in? Both of us have access to a mircowave at work.

Hi cookiedough38,

I've used all sorts of containers - whatever I have available at the time. I find that the small rectangular plastic take away boxes with lids are good and can be reused again and again and the size is just right but I have also used other boxes and freezer bags. If you are planning to freeze in batches then don't make the mistake that I've made in the past - label them! I now use the freezer labels from lakeland but in the past have tried china graph pencils and markers but these seem to be the clearest for labelling and they remove really easily afterwards - just peel off before washing the box.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    I hope someone can help me.

I love all your recipes but find it hard to follow them - I'm not a great cook and they seem really complicated. :confused:

However, I'm determined to persevere and crack some of them. I'm really keen to make some of the cakes as we've got some events coming up that need me to bring something along. My problem is that I have no baking kitchen equipment and I cannot afford to buy the whole lot in one go. I also need to know where to buy cheaply but not too sabby if that makes sense. I really have nothing - no cake tins, mixing bowls, rolling pin - nothing! :eek:

Any advice would be most welcome. :embarasse

If I were you have a look in Wilkinsons, baking tins seem quite cheap in there. I got a muffin tin for £3.99 Tesco was £8.75!:eek:
    Or maybe a pound shop if you have one though I don't know how long they'd actually last you.
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

noticed in the newspaper ad that here in Scotland, the Mr A offer - 2 x 4 pints of milk for £2 is running until 8th July. Not sure if it will be the same for the rest of the UK.

HTH
    Perrywinkle

I'm pretty sure this offer is still on all over, i'm in the south east and brought 2 for £2 last night.

Jackie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport