PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    first spend of the month £9.12 only really needed bread but got some cleaning stuff & yougarts that were on offer and i'd have to get anyway

also picked up 20 metres of xmas wrap for 25p & a few 70% off gift sets which dont come out of my GC budget so thats a few birthdays sorted at a fraction of the cost :D
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I'm keeping a shopping list on the side and writing down what I will need as I notice, so hopefully, I will remember everything and only buy what I need.

I tend to shop online rather than instore, as it's easier, and, in some ways, that does save money, but I do miss out on bargains.

I've been lookking at some of the older OS threads and will start making my own yoghurt again, I think. I tend to just buy the easiyo sachets, for convenience, but have put some UHT milk and live yoghurt on my shopping list, so that will save some pennies, I think :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • seasalt_2
    seasalt_2 Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone and hello to all the newbies - still one myself! My main problem is how to get the rest of the family on board! Please would you put me down for £300 for January. Thanks. Have not been to the shop yet. Would like to hold out until Friday! Am going to try making the artisan bread tonight as we do not have so much as a backslice left. Made oatmeal scones to have with soup for lunch but they are all gone! Off to update my signature.
    Jan 2011 GC £300/£150.79 (2 adults, 2 teens, working dog, includes food/cleaning/toiletries)
  • youngmummy
    youngmummy Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today and yesterday for me. made some bread last night for the first time. its really nice so will be making some more tonight as not much left. also made some biscuits today. x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • Nikkiev27
    Nikkiev27 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All, I would really like to join your challange ... please can you put me down for £110 for January please .... I have so far spent £33.28, I got a slow cooker for christmas off MIL so am off to a flying start ... made a bolognese, DH and DS had spag bol for tea last night and the bolognese on jacket potato for lunch today and I have had to freeze the rest which I am guessing is at least two more main meals :D
    I will be debt free by 2016 :T
    DS1 born 10/04/2009. DS2 born 25/03/2011
  • LJFreeman
    LJFreeman Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has been an angel today and popped round with a bag of bits for me:

cucumber, packet of frubes, sausage rolls, pyjama pants for my dd, bottle of diluting juice and a portion of roast beef in gravy with mash and a portion of hm shepherds pie which I just had for my dinner with some petite pois yummy :D

Back to normality tomorrow, so I will see how I get on with these NSD's xx
    :j Here's to 2013, may it bring Happiness to all :j

• CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD for me today. Back to work tomorrow so I thought I'd spend today sorting out the fridge / freezer & cupboards. So many things in there that there's no way I should go over my tiny budget. So today I have made macaroni cheese (x4) Bolognaise (at least 6!) and I'm just using up leftovers from Mum's for dinner.

I found a recipe for Sausage, Black Pudding, Bacon & Bean Stew in one of the Sunday papers, so I'll definitely be trying that this month. Although since joining the GC last year, I'm pretty sure I could make it without the recipe. You guys haven't just improved my spending habits, but also my cooking skills & knowledge.:T

Also found a gammon joint in the freezer so will be doing that in the SC along with the apple juice (Sorry can't rem who posted it but thank you for that one!)

Have a good evening

CherryPie x
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    Can't believe I had to pop to the shops again today. I bought 2 blocks of cheese late on NYE, and by Saturday the men in my life (DH & 2 DS's) had eaten 1 and a quarter of them :eek:. They are sooo greedy!! So spent another £13.13 in L**ls, on more cheese, cereals, milk, oj and toiletries. Also we all had lunch out as it was DS1's 13th birthday, but this isn't included within this budget.

Anyway, did a meal plan yesterday that takes us up to the end of next week and have everything for evening meals to last us til then. Will only need a bit extra for school and work lunches next week.

DS2 asked me what was for tea tonight, so I told him to look on the chart on the fridge under Monday :rotfl:
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • Emily87
    Emily87 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Well I though I'd update seeing as this is my first ever grocery challenge! My budget is £250 a month, so far I have spent £80.85 on a big shop at lidl and asda. Was a bit shcked at the total spend but I have bought nappies/wipes and nursery supplies that should last a couple of weeks at least (I think) Anyway freezer is full, so maybe only spend £20 or so next week on fresh fruit/veg. Anyway thanks for all the motivation so far, I have much debt to bust this year!!
    June Grocery Challenge - £???/£230
    Credit card debt - Start - £10,613 Now - £10613
    Personal loan - Start - £10,116 Now - £10116

DFD - October 2015
    :T

• katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    CherryPie wrote: »

I found a recipe for Sausage, Black Pudding, Bacon & Bean Stew in one of the Sunday papers, so I'll definitely be trying that this month. Although since joining the GC last year, I'm pretty sure I could make it without the recipe. You guys haven't just improved my spending habits, but also my cooking skills & knowledge.:T

Any chance of the recipe please CherryPie? DH would love that and we've got a whole load of Black Pudding and Sausages in the freezer! xx
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport