PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• muffin_man_7
    Options
    quick update small spend on juice for school and bread and milk =£4.19p will add to sig later as i need to go to town in a bit need to restock first aid box (luckily seperate budget ) with big dressings my daughter came home from school yesterday with red raw knees asked her how she done it answer came of a treadmill i'm not happy this morning she can hardly walk her knees are hurting so much and she must of wacked her shoulder too cos its stiff i'm not used to her being the injured oned last time she came off her bike that was bad too but over a year ago it's usually her brother that gets all the injuries mind you they usually make fun of my first aid bag my motto if you got it full you might not use it but when you do you it's ready and waiting
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Chums aren't we all doing well this month I have only spent £1.55 so far this month and have had 6 NSDs.Tomorrow I will have to splash some cash though as I am running short of fresh veg and bread.I have been shopping from the freezer and am going to do a revised freezer list later this morning to see what I have available to eat.
    I am trying to 'run' down my freezer a bit as I need some space with Christmas coming up.
    It does help to only buy whats really needed as I have run out of it instead of thinking 'Oh that looks good I'll get some.I have enough fruit to get through till the middle of next week hopefully and if I use the long life stuff more than enough milk.I fancy making a big ric pud today in my oven ,probably a two pinta as I have some tins of evaporated milk I can use .This will do for puds for several days along with some tinned fruit. I seem to have quite a bit of cheese in the fridge so I will maybe make a big quiche as I have some rashers of bacon in there as well.That will do for several days lunches.
    I intend to use up as much of the odds and ends in the fridge as possible to stretch out for some meals .Christmas is looming and I have a lot of birthdays coming up so the more I save the better.
    Everyone seems to be really getting to grips with things on here at the moment .With the food prices rocketing in the shops its great to see folk being a bit inventive instead of just spending. Butter I know has gone through the roof just lately and I have a feeling flour will be following shortly. Well I'm off to sort my freezer out ,have a great day everyone
    JackieO xx
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for rice pudding, as I discovered a whole un-opened packet or pudding rice in my pantry, god knows how long it's been there :mad:

I've looked on the recipe index at the front of the thread with no luck, I seem to remember someone mentioning one that could be done in the slow-cooker?
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well not off to a great start as I calculate that I have spent just over 50% of my budget in 25% of the time - hmn. Well I suppose that in part it is because I stock up on cleaning materials and meat at the beginning of the month, but more worryingly I have only managed 3 NSD so far! Went to Sainsbugs and did my weekly shop which was quite light as we are away at the weekend. Hopefully it will stay that way!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Moniker
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2010 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Rice pudding
    45ml/3 tbs pudding rice
    30ml/2 level tbs caster sugar
    568ml/1 pt milk
    knob butter
    nutmeg
    Wash rice, put into buttered 900ml/11/2 pt dish with the sugar. Pour on milk, top with shavings of butter & grated nutmeg. Bake 150c/gas2 for about 2 hours, but stir after 1/2an hour.

Not done it in the s/cooker.
    Ps - see I did my sig, thank you:)
  • LannyLee
    Options
    Diflower wrote: »
    Rice pudding
    45ml/3 tbs pudding rice
    30ml/2 level tbs caster sugar
    568ml/1 pt milk
    knob butter
    nutmeg
    Wash rice, put into buttered 900ml/11/2 pt dish with the sugar. Pour on milk, top with shavings of butter & grated nutmeg. Bake 150c/gas2 for about 2 hours, but stir after 1/2an hour.

Not done it in the s/cooker.
    Ps - see I did my sig, thank you:)

Thank you, glad your sig worked ok :D
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing really well angelatgraceland , as are a lot of people on here, so well done everyone :T

I go to Icel@nd most days for milk, so I'll look for leeks next time I'm in, thanks :)

What does butternut squash taste of/like? Please don't say pumpkin as I've never eaten that either, but I'm just curious.

Made a Shepherdess Pie last night for tea - it's probably the fourth or fifth time I've made it, but there's no escaping it....it's boring and bland, and my least favourite tea of the month, and I so don't want it to be, as I don't have many veggie meals, so really don't want to drop it from the menu. Last night I used Leek instead of onion, and it was even more bland than usual :rotfl: - anyone got any suggestions for pepping it up a bit please?

1 Clove Garlic
    1 Onion
    125G Carrot
    1 Tbs Flour
    ½ pint Veg Stock
    110G Red Lentils
    1 Tin Baked Beans
    1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    Lots Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    500G Potatoes

I use Lazy Garlic in all my cooking. 1tsp = 1 Clove (always been a bit shy of using the real thing, as I don't want to walk around reeking of garlic) I tried upping that to 1½ last night, I also added ½tsp Onion Salt, but then had to counteract that with a bit of sugar as the stock cube contains salt. It all got eaten, but it was bland beyond belief for all the faffing about involved in making it, and as the recipe stands, I don't think I can force myself to be bothered to make it again.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • SherlockFan85
    Options
    How's this for a-typical! :mad:

My OH drank all the milk the day before yesterday, so i sent him to buy another 4 pints, as i work in North London (yet live in Kent) and he works 10mins drive from his workplace, plus I always do the food shopping normally.
    All fine, until i realise that he's left the milk on the side and not in the fridge for way too many hours to comtemplate, so it had to be thrown :(

Oh well, these things happen sometimes. BUT...the next day i come in and he confesses that somehow in the morning he managed to leave for work with the fridge door completely open!!! All day! Everything in there was totally off, soaking wet and starting to smell (we have a VERY warm apartment, we've still got all our fans out and on every night, and probably will for some time, and no heating on either!) So another £18.52 to replace as much as we could, which included numerous days of packed lunch items.
    Typically, the only thing that was salvagable was beer...his beer :mad:
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Make £2019 in 2019 No 153 - £4517.17/£2019
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2010 at 12:22PM
    Options
    LannyLee wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recipe for rice pudding, as I discovered a whole un-opened packet or pudding rice in my pantry, god knows how long it's been there :mad:

I've looked on the recipe index at the front of the thread with no luck, I seem to remember someone mentioning one that could be done in the slow-cooker?

Here's a SC Rice Pudding recipe and SC Peach Cobbler too ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • LannyLee
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    Here's a SC Rice Pudding recipe and SC Peach Cobbler too ;)

Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport